News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Why the Soul Can't be Real

Started by MadBomr101, April 05, 2012, 05:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

This thread makes me want to smoke.  Ember burns and all (been there, although not anywhere near my lady parts, thank Asmo.)  I totally get what alcoholics mean when they say they'll always be an alcoholic, no matter how long they're sober. 

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on April 05, 2012, 09:39:31 PM
Oxidation is not rapid enough. It is hot, but it's not burning - just smoldering.
A smoldering fire as opposed to a raging fire?

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on April 06, 2012, 12:43:21 AM
Oxidation is not rapid enough. It is hot, but it's not burning - just smoldering.
More open flame vs. the lack thereof.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on April 06, 2012, 01:28:30 AM
Quote from: Stevil on April 06, 2012, 12:43:21 AM
More open flame vs. the lack thereof.
;D I'm not sold on the idea that a lit smoke does not contain fire, but, hey it's not worth arguing about.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Stevil on April 05, 2012, 10:49:57 AM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on April 05, 2012, 05:21:12 AM
The point of this is that emotions and physical responses are entirely the product of a complex organic system
Unfortunately, you can't know that this statement is true. Scientifically they can prove that emotions and physical responses are associated with complex organic systems.  But they can't prove that their isn't a metaphysical soul also associated with complex organic systems. They can't prove it, because souls cannot be measured or observed, therefore they cannot observe a correlation between the soul and the complex organic system.

Which makes the soul indistinguishable from something that doesn't exist at all.  It's like saying I have a little purple troll named Dougie who lives in the crack of my ass but Dougie can't be seen, verified or measured in any meaningful way.  So is it more plausible that Dougie exists within these ridiculous rules or that he probably doesn't exist at all?

No love for Dougie the Ass Troll here.   :'(
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

MadBomr101

The naked smoker thing is getting way more attention than the soul thing.  Maybe I shoulda put clothes on him.   :P
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: MadBomr101 on April 06, 2012, 03:22:07 AM
The naked smoker thing is getting way more attention than the soul thing.  Maybe I shoulda put clothes on him.   :P

It's true. XD

I definitely wouldn't smoke naked I don't trust myself.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Might have a little something to do with The Asmo and his club being all over it  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on April 06, 2012, 08:01:31 AM
Might have a little something to do with The Asmo and his club being all over it  :P

Oh, so now we're your  club? :p
<3

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 06, 2012, 12:49:26 PM
<3
Says so in the Book of Asmoism. It also says that the book is true and right and good, so... It IS.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Gawen

Quote from: MariaEvri on April 05, 2012, 07:49:39 PM
there is a document called "the ghost in the machine" by If I remember correctly
EBON MUSING
or something like that...
it explains perfectly how the brain works and how it is impossible for a soul to exist. Unfortunately I have it greek and I dont think linking you to the greek translation would help
I've known "Ebon" for years. Good guy. Intelligent.
http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on April 06, 2012, 12:59:44 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 06, 2012, 12:49:26 PM
<3
Says so in the Book of Asmoism. It also says that the book is true and right and good, so... It IS.

MariaEvri

Quote from: Gawen on April 06, 2012, 01:25:28 PM
Quote from: MariaEvri on April 05, 2012, 07:49:39 PM
there is a document called "the ghost in the machine" by If I remember correctly
EBON MUSING
or something like that...
it explains perfectly how the brain works and how it is impossible for a soul to exist. Unfortunately I have it greek and I dont think linking you to the greek translation would help
I've known "Ebon" for years. Good guy. Intelligent.
http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/

thanks for the link. The document I was talking about is there :)
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com