News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Spiderman fallacy

Started by history_geek, April 02, 2012, 11:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

history_geek

I stumbled on this while on another forum. I wasn't sure where to put this, but I think this is the most appropriate place, considering what this is about (if this isn't, I hope the mods are kind enough to move to a better place. Thanks ;D )

QuoteThe Spiderman Fallacy , the spiderman fallacy meaning , definition of the spiderman fallacy , what is the spiderman fallacy -

A recently coined logical fallacy. It follows that archaeologists 1,000 years from now unearth a collection of Spiderman comics. From the background art, they can tell it takes place in New York City. NYC is an actual place, as confirmed by archaeology. However, this does not mean that Spiderman existed.Often used to illustrate the flaw in the assertion by evangelical Christians that archaeologists unearthing biblical cities today "proves" that the Bible was written by a supernatural force.The Spiderman Fallacy is committed any time the discovery of a mundane element from a myth, legend, or story is taken to mean that ALL other parts of that story, even the supernatural, are also true.Can be modified to use any fictional character whose story takes place in a real life location.
Some examples :

Idiot: The Bible is literally true! Archaeology proves it! Sodom and Gommorrah have been found!!!

Smart guy: Dude, you're committing the Spiderman fallacy. New York City is a real place. Does that prove Spiderman exists?

Smart girl: There was also a real Transylvanian prince named Dracula. Does that prove vampires exist?

http://www.definition-of.net/the+spiderman+fallacy

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Spiderman%20Fallacy

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Sweetdeath

What a cool post, history geek! :)
I have heard of this, but not in full detail.

It makes a lot of sense. Like the myths of greek mythology ; some if the areas exist, but it doesnt mean Zeus built them.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

I've heard of this before, but not as a proper fallacy. Kinda cool ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

ThinkAnarchy

Just wait until they find some old spiderman movies, I would love to see that debate in 1000 years. "What do you mean he didn't exist, we have video evidence you schmuck."

I have never personally heard it called the Spiderman fallacy before, but I like it.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

history_geek

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 03, 2012, 12:56:38 AM
Just wait until they find some old spiderman movies, I would love to see that debate in 1000 years. "What do you mean he didn't exist, we have video evidence you schmuck."

Eeeexactly  ;D

QuoteI have never personally heard it called the Spiderman fallacy before, but I like it.

I had never heard about it before, but thought it was interesting.

QuoteWhat a cool post, history geek!

Thanks, Sweetdeath! I have my moments...*bloated ego*  ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Sweetdeath

You do. ;D
I wish you would post more. You've been on HAF for a while now.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

history_geek

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 04, 2012, 05:40:48 AM
You do. ;D
I wish you would post more. You've been on HAF for a while now.

Thanks ;D

And yes, I've been around for some time now, but I think I'm a bit of prisoner of the Finnish mentality and my own upbringing (or those are my excuses that I tend to blame for low post counts  ;) ). Basicly what I mean is that in Finland we say what we need to say, and that's it. Also I've been told since I was a kid that "if you don't have anything good or worthwhile to say, don't say anything". That, and I'm my own worst critic. There's been a lot of times that I've started to make a reply or a post, and then just abandoned it as I've lost the track of my point, or because I feel that I'm not making sense or felt that I'm not adding anything new or good to the conversation (for example posting "I agree" would not add anything to a topic in my opinion, and unfortunately simple nods go unseen in the world of the internet...).

And then I end up making these sorts of long posts in which I try to explain or cover everything in one go, so that I don't have to make multiple post about the same subject, as that would seem inefficient ;D Having a tad bit of perfectionist trait tends to be a pain :-\ Or should I call that completionist trait...hmmm.

DeterminedJuliet

My background is mostly Irish, Newfoundland and French Canadian. That should help explain why I post so much (chatty genes).  :D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 04, 2012, 10:24:30 PM
My background is mostly Irish, Newfoundland and French Canadian. That should help explain why I post so much (chatty genes).  :D

But you're fun to have around, DJ :)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 04, 2012, 11:47:36 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 04, 2012, 10:24:30 PM

But you're fun to have around, DJ :)

I try! *does jig*
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Too Few Lions

great post hg. As archaeology refutes most of what's in the Bible, and corroborates very little of it, I guess the Spider Man fallacy is all they're left with.

fester30

So does this mean there WASN'T an extra terrestrial that arrived here early in the century, gained incredible powers due to our yellow sun, and burst upon the scene in the 30s in Metropolis using his abilities to help mankind?  Well I guess I can stop trying to find out where he's hiding.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: fester30 on April 05, 2012, 11:51:22 AM
So does this mean there WASN'T an extra terrestrial that arrived here early in the century, gained incredible powers due to our yellow sun, and burst upon the scene in the 30s in Metropolis using his abilities to help mankind?  Well I guess I can stop trying to find out where he's hiding.

Sadly :(