News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hi, I’m an ibm’er!

Started by ibm, March 30, 2012, 04:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibm

Hello,

I'm an ibm'er with English being my second limited language, so I'm not too fast with the keyboard and the keywords. To be more precise, I'm a "Frenglish" exposed to two different languages and two different cultures throughout my life. "Frenglish" is a very special place to be into, especially when one studies ART.

I'm a product of Québec's Silent Revolution. You may not have heard about it since it was ... well ... silent. It happened in the late 60s early 70s. What a trip! What a revolution! No guns, no roses. It had to do with the separation of Church and State, and then something wrong happened.

Lately I have become intolerable with the Christian movements in my surroundings: their soliciting, their promotions, they frights. I hope my registering on this website will help me overcome this negative feeling. Most of the subjects I read in atheist forums are way above my head. I may just login and read here and there and everywhere so as to show HAF that I support them.

As I said, I'm an ibm'er, I think therefore I am (ibm, René Descartes, 1637). One of the many secrets I found within 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). So what did IBM know when they came up with the name Think Pad?

Thank you

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Jimmy

Quote from: ibm on March 30, 2012, 04:56:02 AM
Hello,

I'm an ibm'er with English being my second limited language, so I'm not too fast with the keyboard and the keywords. To be more precise, I'm a "Frenglish" exposed to two different languages and two different cultures throughout my life. "Frenglish" is a very special place to be into, especially when one studies ART.

I'm a product of Québec's Silent Revolution. You may not have heard about it since it was ... well ... silent. It happened in the late 60s early 70s. What a trip! What a revolution! No guns, no roses. It had to do with the separation of Church and State, and then something wrong happened.

Lately I have become intolerable with the Christian movements in my surroundings: their soliciting, their promotions, they frights. I hope my registering on this website will help me overcome this negative feeling. Most of the subjects I read in atheist forums are way above my head. I may just login and read here and there and everywhere so as to show HAF that I support them.

As I said, I'm an ibm'er, I think therefore I am (ibm, René Descartes, 1637). One of the many secrets I found within 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). So what did IBM know when they came up with the name Think Pad?

Thank you

Welcome ibm'er !! It's pretty chill hear. I hope you like it! :)
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

DeterminedJuliet

Hello! ;D

I'm in Ottawa, so I'm very close to Québec! My father was born in Montreal :)
I'm afraid my french is very poor, though. :(

I hope you like it here!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Hello ibm
All the Canadians here are quite nice, all except one

Tank

Hi ibm

That Think Pad was such a lame idea!  :D

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 30, 2012, 06:57:13 AM
Hello ibm

That would be me, I'm the evil raving humanist nutter in the corner of Ontario.  ;D

Welcome, IBM, from one Canadian to another! I think you'll enjoy it here. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

Hello ibm
Quiet you!  >:(
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

ibm

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 05:05:29 AM
Hello! ;D

I hope you like it here!

Thanks. Ah Montreal, it used to be called the city of a hundred bell towers. There's not that many left today, I'm glad. I love taking the Metro in that city and randomly pop out at a station and take a walk.

Hopefully I'll be going to Ottawa this spring and visit Vincent van Gogh's special exhibit at the National Gallery of Arts. Vincent's my favorite.

Amicale

Quote from: ibm on April 01, 2012, 03:17:25 AM
Hello! ;D

I hope you like it here!

Thanks. Ah Montreal, it used to be called the city of a hundred bell towers. There's not that many left today, I'm glad. I love taking the Metro in that city and randomly pop out at a station and take a walk.

Hopefully I'll be going to Ottawa this spring and visit Vincent van Gogh's special exhibit at the National Gallery of Arts. Vincent's my favorite.

IBM, I didn't even know the National Gallery was putting on a Van Gogh exibit this spring! Thank you! I'll be in Ottawa this spring and I'll need to go check that out! The last time I was at the Gallery, there was a gorgeous Carravagio exibit I really enjoyed seeing. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on April 01, 2012, 04:09:01 AM
Hello! ;D

I hope you like it here!

IBM, I didn't even know the National Gallery was putting on a Van Gogh exibit this spring! Thank you! I'll be in Ottawa this spring and I'll need to go check that out! The last time I was at the Gallery, there was a gorgeous Carravagio exibit I really enjoyed seeing. :)

I didn't know either! Super exciting!

ibm

Hello! ;D

I hope you like it here!

Yep, from 25 May to 03 Sep. Fifty, count them, fifty van Gogh paintings under one roof. "C'est du jamais vue à Ottawa" it has never been seen in Ottawa. I'm impressed by impressionists.

http://www.gallery.ca/en/see/exhibitions/upcoming/details/van-gogh-up-close-70

I may bring my I-Pod with me. My hobby is to mix'n match masters' paintings with masters' poems i.e. song writers. It keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.

Amicale

Quote from: ibm on April 02, 2012, 04:05:00 AM
Hello! ;D

I hope you like it here!

Yep, from 25 May to 03 Sep. Fifty, count them, fifty van Gogh paintings under one roof. "C'est du jamais vue à Ottawa" it has never been seen in Ottawa. I'm impressed by impressionists.

http://www.gallery.ca/en/see/exhibitions/upcoming/details/van-gogh-up-close-70

I may bring my I-Pod with me. My hobby is to mix'n match masters' paintings with masters' poems i.e. song writers. It keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.

In that case, Don McLean's "Vincent" (Starry Starry Night) is an absolute must. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM :)

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Hello ibm
Hello Ibm.  Umm there are canadians here? I thought it was mostly cheeky british people ay.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins