News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Hi, I’m an ibm’er!

Started by ibm, March 30, 2012, 04:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Hi and welcome.  Will have to do more research on what an ibm'er is.  I would have thought it was a person using a certain type of computer.  :D

ibm

Quote from: Amicale on April 02, 2012, 04:49:40 AM
Quote from: ibm on April 02, 2012, 04:05:00 AM
Quote from: Amicale on April 01, 2012, 04:09:01 AM
Quote from: ibm on April 01, 2012, 03:17:25 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 05:05:29 AM
Hello! ;D

I'm in Ottawa, so I'm very close to Québec! My father was born in Montreal :)
I'm afraid my french is very poor, though. :(

I hope you like it here!

Thanks. Ah Montreal, it used to be called the city of a hundred bell towers. There's not that many left today, I'm glad. I love taking the Metro in that city and randomly pop out at a station and take a walk.

Hopefully I'll be going to Ottawa this spring and visit Vincent van Gogh's special exhibit at the National Gallery of Arts. Vincent's my favorite.

IBM, I didn't even know the National Gallery was putting on a Van Gogh exibit this spring! Thank you! I'll be in Ottawa this spring and I'll need to go check that out! The last time I was at the Gallery, there was a gorgeous Carravagio exibit I really enjoyed seeing. :)

Yep, from 25 May to 03 Sep. Fifty, count them, fifty van Gogh paintings under one roof. "C'est du jamais vue à Ottawa" it has never been seen in Ottawa. I'm impressed by impressionists.

http://www.gallery.ca/en/see/exhibitions/upcoming/details/van-gogh-up-close-70

I may bring my I-Pod with me. My hobby is to mix'n match masters' paintings with masters' poems i.e. song writers. It keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.

In that case, Don McLean's "Vincent" (Starry Starry Night) is an absolute must. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM :)

You took the words right out of my mouth ... errr ... keyboard. Yep, it's a dead giveaway. Thanks.

If ever I go to London, it's a sure bet that I'll see "Music in the Tuileries" at the National Gallery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_in_the_Tuileries

And on my I-Pod, I'll play "The Carpet Crawlers". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrclBlJ39r4

To be brief: On Sunday afternoons they would lay down a carpet of wool so not to dirty the aristocrats' shoes, and bugs would be "crawling" under that carpet. Beautiful song. There are so many of them.

ibm

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on April 02, 2012, 03:44:25 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 30, 2012, 06:57:13 AM
Hello ibm
All the Canadians here are quite nice, all except one
Hello Ibm.  Umm there are canadians here? I thought it was mostly cheeky british people ay.

Well now that there's wireless, we now have Internet service in our igloos. We share a power generator amongst ourselves. In the summertime (3 days), there are more bugs outside than bugs in our computers.

Amicale

Quote from: ibm on April 04, 2012, 02:36:15 AM
Hello ibm
Hello Ibm.  Umm there are canadians here? I thought it was mostly cheeky british people ay.

Well now that there's wireless, we now have Internet service in our igloos. We share a power generator amongst ourselves. In the summertime (3 days), there are more bugs outside than bugs in our computers.

Yup. And we ride our pet polar bears to work, and if the mosquitos only carry off our firstborn child rather than all of them, we consider it a good day.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Hahaha, this reminds me of Rick Mercer's "talking to Americans".

http://youtu.be/hs1UiT4GEIQ
lol
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 04, 2012, 08:28:28 PM
Hahaha, this reminds me of Rick Mercer's "talking to Americans".

http://youtu.be/hs1UiT4GEIQ
lol

:D I LOVE "Talking to Americans".

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Amicale on April 04, 2012, 04:33:17 AM
Hello ibm

Yup. And we ride our pet polar bears to work, and if the mosquitos only carry off our firstborn child rather than all of them, we consider it a good day.

Ahaha. I so wanna ride a polar bear. <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 05, 2012, 04:54:35 AM
Hello ibm

Ahaha. I so wanna ride a polar bear. <3

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/polar_bear

I love The Oatmeal.

Sweetdeath

I had NO ideas polar bears could slow their own metabolism down. That is freaking awesome!

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

I love the Oatmeal, too! He caused a shitstorm on Facebook the other day because he posted a few atheist cartoons.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

ibm

And there's only one road in Canada. The big thrill of the day is when we cross a time-zone. Honey, why do we have to reset our watch?

Amicale

Quote from: ibm on April 06, 2012, 03:57:03 AM

And there's only one road in Canada. The big thrill of the day is when we cross a time-zone. Honey, why do we have to reset our watch?

:D

True story: I have two friends who live 30 minutes apart, but are in 2 different time zones. That's just crazy!

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 05, 2012, 02:11:35 PM
I love the Oatmeal, too! He caused a shitstorm on Facebook the other day because he posted a few atheist cartoons.

Blurg,,really?
I want to see~ i'm gonna head over to fb.

Btw, I treat Fb comments on their communities like youtube ones; I don't bother to read or take them seriously.  If I did, I would be crying and feeling hopeless for all of humanity.

Don't get me wrong, my faith that humanity will weed out the religious fools is still 5%, but at least when I come to HAF, I feel "evolution seemed to have worked for some people. :D"  <3

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Hello ibm

Wouldn't riding a large group of penguins be safer?!?!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

DeterminedJuliet

There are no penguins up north! Only at the southern pole  ;D