Trayvon Martin: Probe into killing of Florida teenager

Started by Tank, March 21, 2012, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Trayvon Martin: Probe into killing of Florida teenager

QuoteThe US Department of Justice has announced an investigation into the shooting of an unarmed black teenager in Florida in February.

Trayvon Martin, 17, was killed by neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, 28, while walking through a gated community in a suburb of Orlando.

Mr Zimmerman says he was acting in self-defence.

Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for the Martin family, used a news conference on Tuesday to call for his arrest.

A Florida grand jury will also hear evidence in the case on 10 April, a state prosecutor has said.

A grand jury convenes to determine if there is enough evidence to bring a case to trial.

Florida Governor Rick Scott has also asked the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to assist in the investigation.

In an impassioned speech, Mr Crump said police had a clear duty: "Arrest George Zimmerman."

"He is allowed to come and go as he please, while Trayvon Martin is in a grave," Mr Crump said.

According to Mr Crump, a 16-year-old young woman was on the phone with Martin before he was shot. She said Martin was followed by Mr Zimmerman and she heard the beginning of the confrontation, Mr Crump said...

Racism at its very worst.  :'(

Listen to the recording part way down the article. Zimmerman may have shot Trayvon but the system that put the gun in Zimmerman's hand is equally responsible.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

What I find most shocking about this case is that Zimmerman wasn't arrested. He shot somebody and killed them, if anything he should have been taken into custody and then presented in court that he was acting in self-defense and let the jury decide if that was the case. There is no self-defense involved in this situation the man shot an unarmed kid.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on March 21, 2012, 12:55:20 PM
What I find most shocking about this case is that Zimmerman wasn't arrested. He shot somebody and killed them, if anything he should have been taken into custody and then presented in court that he was acting in self-defense and let the jury decide if that was the case. There is no self-defense involved in this situation the man shot an unarmed kid.
Exactly the point that is being made in America. Self defence isn't a 'get out of jail free' card, it's for a court to decide if Zimmerman acted in self defence.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2012, 02:45:43 PM
Quote from: Crow on March 21, 2012, 12:55:20 PM
Exactly the point that is being made in America. Self defence isn't a 'get out of jail free' card, it's for a court to decide if Zimmerman acted in self defence.

Yeah, wow. There's such a thing as proper "use of force". This is insane.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Anne D.

This case is truly appalling.

As I understand it, the reason Zimmerman wasn't arrested is that Florida has a "stand your ground" law. Under it, you can shoot or otherwise harm anyone you perceive to be threatening you, whether you're in your home or in public. You don't have an obligation to try to leave the scene/avoid the situation, as is required by many other states' laws. Under a SYG law, if you claim self-defense and there are no witnesses to say otherwise, it would seem that the authorities are going to have a tough go nailing you.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/03/21/do-stand-your-ground-laws-encourage-vigilantes/what-the-florida-stand-your-ground-law-says

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/20/149014228/a-history-of-stand-your-ground-law-in-florida

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Anne D. on March 22, 2012, 03:00:20 AM
This case is truly appalling.

As I understand it, the reason Zimmerman wasn't arrested is that Florida has a "stand your ground" law. Under it, you can shoot or otherwise harm anyone you perceive to be threatening you, whether you're in your home or in public. You don't have an obligation to try to leave the scene/avoid the situation, as is required by many other states' laws. Under a SYG law, if you claim self-defense and there are no witnesses to say otherwise, it would seem that the authorities are going to have a tough go nailing you.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/03/21/do-stand-your-ground-laws-encourage-vigilantes/what-the-florida-stand-your-ground-law-says

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/20/149014228/a-history-of-stand-your-ground-law-in-florida

What the crap???
Wow. I've only visited florida once to go to a backstreet boys show when I was 14. (dont judge)
But I have no desire to go back as an adult. That kind of law is scary as shit...
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Guardian85

And just when you thought this murder case could not get any clearer audio of the 911 call reveals this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNI5CA5jijw

Seems pretty damning to me.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

The Stand Your Ground law is insane!  I thought that our Make My Day law was harsh enough (you can shoot someone for tresspassing or threatening you on your property) but atleast we aren't allowed to just shoot anyone walking through our neighborhood.

This case is soooo sad.  My heart just breaks for that boy's parents.   :'(

philosoraptor

This story just breaks my heart, and that 911 tape is especially horrifying.  Anyone who believes that racism isn't alive in America is ignorant to these kinds of incidents.

I firmly deserve that Zimmerman deserves to be punished for his actions, but Florida is a capital punishment state and I'm not anymore okay with state mandated murder than I am with people shooting each other on the street.  Shit.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Sweetdeath

Quote from: philosoraptor on March 23, 2012, 01:33:47 AM
This story just breaks my heart, and that 911 tape is especially horrifying.  Anyone who believes that racism isn't alive in America is ignorant to these kinds of incidents.

I firmly deserve that Zimmerman deserves to be punished for his actions, but Florida is a capital punishment state and I'm not anymore okay with state mandated murder than I am with people shooting each other on the street.  Shit.
He chased down and murdered an innocent teen.
I think he deserves to die.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on March 23, 2012, 12:03:14 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 23, 2012, 04:24:16 AM

Really!?

If my son was gunned down by a rascist, paranoid bastard. And he is crying out for help to 911--  yeah, I do.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 23, 2012, 02:35:54 PM
If my son was gunned down by a rascist, paranoid bastard. And he is crying out for help to 911--  yeah, I do.
...As long as like 30 years don't go by between the death sentence and the actual death.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 23, 2012, 02:35:54 PM

Personally if that was the case I would prefer to beat the crap out of them whenever I wanted to.
Retired member.

philosoraptor

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 23, 2012, 04:24:16 AM
Quote from: philosoraptor on March 23, 2012, 01:33:47 AM

He chased down and murdered an innocent teen.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, to borrow from Gandhi. 

From what the news has said about him, it seems like Zimmerman was an extremely paranoid individual.  It wouldn't surprise me if he had some kind of mental illness.  Imprisonment, yes.  Death penalty, no.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse