News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Hobbit

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 17, 2012, 09:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

I remember poo-pooing all the advance hype for the LOTR movies when they were announced, since the new Star Wars trilogy was coming out soon and I was sure it would be superior. Needless to say, egg-on-face :) I'm definitely looking forward to this. I found The Hobbit much more readable than LOTR.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sweetdeath

It's crazy to think  it's been so long since Return of the King. I am definitely looking forward to the hobbit~
I thought the book was a little boring, but from the trailer, i'm sure the dragon battle will actually be epic.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 19, 2012, 02:33:48 AM
As for Lovely Bones, I'll have to rent it or something sometime, in all honesty it's film that I had never heard of before (damn, I feel like such an island).
The Lovely Bones Trailer
It's a pretty serious drama, in a similar vein to Heavenly Creatures.
It wasn't released as a Block Buster, just something that Peter and Fran wanted to do.

Did you, being a New Zelander, recognise any of the outdoor scenarios he filmed in? What a stunning country you live in. ;D
Yes, its actually become quite a tourist thing, people come over here to see some of the locations that were used to shoot LOTR.
Most of the wide shot scenery stuff is the South Island, it is spectacular.

Crow

What sort of movies do you find more appealing?

oo thats a hard question, I watch so many films and have such varied tastes I don't think I can really answer that, but here is a quick list of some of my favorite film that I can think of as that's probably a better way to answer the question: Layer Cake, Back to the Future, Blade Runner, A Room for Romeo Brass, Nil by Mouth, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Amelia, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, A Single Man, Fargo, Paris Je T'Aime, The Lives of Others, Four Lions, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Tony Takitani, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, I Am Love, Do the Right Thing, The Grifters, Crooklyn.

The film I am most looking forward to is Prometheus.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Well, unless they have managed to cast someone disgustingly cute for a role that doesn't call for it again, I think this will be very good indeed.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on March 19, 2012, 05:53:19 PM
Well, unless they have managed to cast someone disgustingly cute for a role that doesn't call for it again, I think this will be very good indeed.
In real life I know many "disgustingly" cute people in jobs that don't call for being that cute and yet...

But yeah, I know what you mean.  It is big money business after all, sex sells, there is no way around that fact.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on March 19, 2012, 02:57:14 AM
I remember poo-pooing all the advance hype for the LOTR movies when they were announced, since the new Star Wars trilogy was coming out soon and I was sure it would be superior. Needless to say, egg-on-face :) I'm definitely looking forward to this. I found The Hobbit much more readable than LOTR.

I agree about the comparision between the books. If you can get past the first half of the Fellowship of the Ring, you can get through them all well enough (all uphill from there where the adventure really starts). As for the Hobbit, it's enjoyable from the start.

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 19, 2012, 03:08:56 AM
It's crazy to think  it's been so long since Return of the King. I am definitely looking forward to the hobbit~
I thought the book was a little boring, but from the trailer, i'm sure the dragon battle will actually be epic.

I know, it's been a decade already. They could try re-releasing it in 3D, like they've done with the Star Wars trilogy and Titanic... ;D

Quote from: Crow on March 19, 2012, 05:26:49 PM
oo thats a hard question, I watch so many films and have such varied tastes I don't think I can really answer that, but here is a quick list of some of my favorite film that I can think of as that's probably a better way to answer the question: Layer Cake, Back to the Future, Blade Runner, A Room for Romeo Brass, Nil by Mouth, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Amelia, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, A Single Man, Fargo, Paris Je T'Aime, The Lives of Others, Four Lions, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Tony Takitani, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, I Am Love, Do the Right Thing, The Grifters, Crooklyn.

The film I am most looking forward to is Prometheus.

Now I really hope that Prometheus will be in 3D where I am. A really worthwhile sci-fi movie hasn't happened in a bit of a while.  8) Some 'Alien' fans I know will be very happy :D

Quote from: Asmodean on March 19, 2012, 05:53:19 PM

I'm wondering who you might be referring too. ??? Gollum, by any chance? :P Guess not.

I'm glad that they re cast Ian McKellen as Gandalf. On the other hand it's a pity that Ian Holm isn't going to be playing the younger Bilbo as well, after watching Henry V I noticed just how good of an actor he is.

Quote from: Stevil on March 19, 2012, 04:03:55 AM
The Lovely Bones Trailer
It's a pretty serious drama, in a similar vein to Heavenly Creatures.
It wasn't released as a Block Buster, just something that Peter and Fran wanted to do.

I had actually watched that trailer some time ago, but at the time didn't notice that it was directed by Peter Jackson. It's a movie that I would watch even if it hadn't been directed by him, so now double the reason to. :)

Quote from: Stevil on March 19, 2012, 04:03:55 AM
Yes, its actually become quite a tourist thing, people come over here to see some of the locations that were used to shoot LOTR.
Most of the wide shot scenery stuff is the South Island, it is spectacular.

Good to know (adds South Island to places I simply must visit). Damn, and to think that my father was prevented from moving us to NZ at the last moment :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 21, 2012, 01:52:49 AM
I'm wondering who you might be referring too. ??? Gollum, by any chance? :P Guess not.
Gollum was cute-ish, but no, I was not talking about Andy Serkis. The wizards were pretty much perfect too, as were the elves.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Jimmy

Yes!! I am SO EXCITED about the Hobbit movies!!The huge downer is the WAIT until the first and then the second one come out, in which I try not to think about it to often...lol. Tolkien is one of my favorite authors; what an incredible imagination!!!
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Firebird

I know, it's been a decade already. They could try re-releasing it in 3D, like they've done with the Star Wars trilogy and Titanic... ;D

I know it's a little off-topic, but I hate how studios re-release movies with changes to "improve" things. It really takes away from the experience of watching them again. Star Wars is the worst offender, of course, but Star Trek does it too. They re-released the original series with new special effects, and I just read that they're going to do the same thing with "Star Trek: The Next Generation", which actually had decent effects, especially for the time. It's all so damn gimmicky.

End rant :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean

Personally, I like cool-looking effects. Especially in Sci-Fi. Our view futuristic- or alien-looking has changed in the past few decades, and in my opinion, a lot of the old Sci-Fi sucks as far as the effects go. Terrible robots too, where there are those.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on March 24, 2012, 08:25:22 PM
Personally, I like cool-looking effects. Especially in Sci-Fi. Our view futuristic- or alien-looking has changed in the past few decades, and in my opinion, a lot of the old Sci-Fi sucks as far as the effects go. Terrible robots too, where there are those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg

Oh man, childhood nostalgia!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on March 24, 2012, 07:52:26 PM

I know it's a little off-topic, but I hate how studios re-release movies with changes to "improve" things. It really takes away from the experience of watching them again. Star Wars is the worst offender, of course, but Star Trek does it too. They re-released the original series with new special effects, and I just read that they're going to do the same thing with "Star Trek: The Next Generation", which actually had decent effects, especially for the time. It's all so damn gimmicky.

To be honest I never watched a remake where they redigitised special effects. I think I would watch the LotR series if they released it in 3D though, for the sake of a different experience.

Though imagining Lost In Space redigitised does seem weird, and so it must be with other movies that were realeased maybe around 10 to 15 years ago. The difference between the original and modernised is too big.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Firebird on March 24, 2012, 07:52:26 PM

I heard about this, they wanted to release a wide screen version and it was possible with the original film but the special effects were another matter, they had to be recreated.  The old squarish TV series do look old, last generation not next.