News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Introduction Paranoia

Started by Nate J, March 14, 2012, 05:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate J

Hello All,

I feel very uncomfortable giving introductions of any kind, but since this 10-post rule seems to make it a natural sort of first move, I figured I'd try it. There are so few reliable places to have intellectual conversations...

I also dislike background. But here is some. My name is Nate. I am a student of philosophy, the history of it, and special interest in early phenomenology. A misanthropic humanist--if you believe in such a thing. I became an atheist about a year ago, after being a dystheist, after being an existential Christian (Kierkegaard, Tillich and all), after being a non-denominational evangelical, Missouri Synod Lutheran, and Pentecostal in that order with a few relapses here and there. Unlike most atheists I know, epistemic concerns didn't factor into the process to any significant degree. I made the decision based on coherency, after realizing that I couldn't accept that the accounts with the strongest emphasis on coherency were sensitive enough to the phenomenon of imagination. I tend to be skeptical of applying probability too heavily to theory, and have a somewhat weird mental tension between "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent" and strict instrumentalism.

And.. that's all I can think to say. Looking forward to talking with you all.

Buddy

Welcome to the forum, Nate! That is quite the transition!

Intros aren't all that special to me, Hi I'm *insert name her* and I am an atheist.  ;D

Other than philosophy, do you have any hobbies or pets?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Nate J

Nice to meet you!

Hmm.. I used to have a tortoise and a hamster, but they both died. Nothing that I would really call a hobby either. I'm a pretty boring person. I spend most of my time writing and thinking about things. But I am also at a fairly painful college at the moment, so perhaps I'll figure out some sort of hobby to develop when I get out and have more time. I'm open to recommendations!

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Hello! Introductions are SO overated. So welcome! Notice how I didn't introduce myself to you  ;)
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Nate J

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on March 14, 2012, 06:04:53 PM
Hello! Introductions are SO overated. So welcome! Notice how I didn't introduce myself to you  ;)

Greetings! It's nice to meet and yet not be introduced to you! ¡Viva la Revolución!

Tank

Hello Nate

You look like the sort of heavyweight who'll get stuck into all the intellectual stuff! Looks like you've had a long and varied road to get here. I hope to get to hear all about it in due course. Very glad to see you bothered to read the rules!

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Nate J on March 14, 2012, 05:58:39 PM
Nice to meet you!

Hmm.. I used to have a tortoise and a hamster, but they both died. Nothing that I would really call a hobby either. I'm a pretty boring person. I spend most of my time writing and thinking about things. But I am also at a fairly painful college at the moment, so perhaps I'll figure out some sort of hobby to develop when I get out and have more time. I'm open to recommendations!

Ugh college. My brother is in his sophomore year, so I've heard it all! :D Thinking is a great way to pass time. Well, for me more like daydreaming. That's really neat about the tortoise. How old was it? Huge reptile geek here!  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Guardian85

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for making me learn something new today.
Hadn't heard the word dystheism before, and had to look it up.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Siz

Quote from: Nate J on March 14, 2012, 05:39:34 PM
Hello All,

I feel very uncomfortable giving introductions of any kind, but since this 10-post rule seems to make it a natural sort of first move, I figured I'd try it. There are so few reliable places to have intellectual conversations...

I also dislike background. But here is some. My name is Nate. I am a student of philosophy, the history of it, and special interest in early phenomenology. A misanthropic humanist--if you believe in such a thing. I became an atheist about a year ago, after being a dystheist, after being an existential Christian (Kierkegaard, Tillich and all), after being a non-denominational evangelical, Missouri Synod Lutheran, and Pentecostal in that order with a few relapses here and there. Unlike most atheists I know, epistemic concerns didn't factor into the process to any significant degree. I made the decision based on coherency, after realizing that I couldn't accept that the accounts with the strongest emphasis on coherency were sensitive enough to the phenomenon of imagination. I tend to be skeptical of applying probability too heavily to theory, and have a somewhat weird mental tension between "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent" and strict instrumentalism.

Sounds really impressive what you just said there.
Philosophy isn't my strong suit, but I can make a bra with a paper napkin and snort a condom so it comes out of my mouth.

Welcome.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Buddy

Quote from: Scissorlegs on March 14, 2012, 09:01:07 PM

Philosophy isn't my strong suit, but I can make a bra with a paper napkin and snort a condom so it comes out of my mouth.

Welcome.

Do I even want to know?

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 14, 2012, 09:04:05 PM

Welcome.

Do I even want to know?

How to snort a condom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB0_6z2HOkU
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Nate J on March 14, 2012, 05:39:34 PM
Hello All,

Welcome.

I am, strangely, quite impressed with this.

Hello Nate! I've always enjoyed philosophy, though I'm embarassingly behind on the a lot of the canon. My husband and I always said that after we retire we'd like to go back to school and do a philosophy degree together. Just for funsies.

From what I could gleam from your intro, you sound like you have a worldview pretty similar to mine - minus the misanthropy. I look forward to your contribution! We have a lot of debates round here that get reduced to philosophy, so I think your input will be valuable.  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on March 14, 2012, 09:07:01 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 14, 2012, 09:04:05 PM

Welcome.

Do I even want to know?

How to snort a condom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB0_6z2HOkU
Yeah, that was equal points disgusting and pointless...  :D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

The Magic Pudding

Aren't different cultures interesting? I tend to wrap them up in a ball of tissues but each to their own.

Quote from: Nate J on March 14, 2012, 05:39:34 PMA misanthropic humanist--if you believe in such a thing.

I probably am such a thing a few times everyday, not that I believe in it.

Quote from: Nate J on March 14, 2012, 05:58:39 PMI'm a pretty boring person.

We'll be the judge of that.

Hello Nate.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey