News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Hebrew Atheist Billboard Finds a New Home

Started by Tank, March 09, 2012, 07:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: philosoraptor on March 13, 2012, 05:42:45 PM
Exactly how many times does someone need to tread the line between stating an opinion and acting like a bigot before a mod steps in to say that this kind of hateful speech is not okay?

Not sure.

Asmodean

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 13, 2012, 05:49:17 PM
Exactly how many times does someone need to tread the line between stating an opinion and acting like a bigot before a mod steps in to say that this kind of hateful speech is not okay?

Not sure.

Not a mod, so don't know, and they are all different. However, I see no problem with walking the line indefinitely as long as you do not cross it more than on rare occasion.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 12, 2012, 05:06:30 AM
Don't mess with the jews. They pull the holocaust card as much as the blacks do with the slave one.  ::)

Except Holocaust survivors, in some cases, are still living in today's society.  And remarkably, having two Jewish best friends neither one of them has ever brought up the Holocaust in a 'woe is me' context.  As it is though, this is another racially insensitive non-sequitor from you.  Quelle Surprise! 

Moding is a fine line. It is always a great help if members use the report button. Sweetdeath is thoughtless and immature at times. I think your illustration of your friends is better than a straight warning. Having worked at the Holocaust centre I felt her comments were mostly thoughtless and ignorant.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

I think that if some people didn't insist on using holocaust as their martyr card, other people would be less inclined to mock it and them for using it in that manner.

Personally, I wouldn't take the experiences of a concentration camp survivor too lightly in a conversation, but when people start playing the victim card because a great grandfather they never knew died in the name of a popularly disliked cause, they are fair game in my book.

Let the survivors and those close to them who might be interested keep the memory alive - let the rest of us put it in a history book and move on.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on March 13, 2012, 07:38:50 PM
I think that if some people didn't insist on using holocaust as their martyr card, other people would be less inclined to mock it and them for using it in that manner.

Personally, I wouldn't take the experiences of a concentration camp survivor too lightly in a conversation, but when people start playing the victim card because a great grandfather they never knew died in the name of a popularly disliked cause, they are fair game in my book.

Let the survivors and those close to them who might be interested keep the memory alive - let the rest of us put it in a history book and move on.

Wow. 

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 13, 2012, 07:38:50 PM

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana That's not to say there are not unscrupulous Jews who will play the 'Holocaust card', but to say 'all' or 'none' is equally disingenuous. However it is a fact that the Jewish people/race have been subject to continuous persecution for millennia.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on March 13, 2012, 07:55:55 PM
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana
...while those who can are just likely to.

Quotebut to say 'all' or 'none' is equally disingenuous.
Of course. Those are loosely-defined amounts.

However it is a fact that the Jewish people/race have been subject to continuous persecution for millennia.
Yes, right behind gays and the deviant from whatever is the dominant religion in a given society on the persecution scale, I suspect.

I think it is well within my right not to give a damn about how jews - or any ethnic, religious or other groups have been treated in the past. My reality is today. Yes, it came from before and will disappear into after, but by virtue of immediacy, it is of highest priority. By virtue of past being past, it is of the lowest priority as we have yet to disover a way to bring back yesterday.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 13, 2012, 08:07:41 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 13, 2012, 07:55:55 PM
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana
...while those who can are just likely to.

Quotebut to say 'all' or 'none' is equally disingenuous.
Of course. Those are loosely-defined amounts.

However it is a fact that the Jewish people/race have been subject to continuous persecution for millennia.
Yes, right behind gays and the deviant from whatever is the dominant religion in a given society on the persecution scale, I suspect.

I think it is well within my right not to give a damn about how jews - or any ethnic, religious or other groups have been treated in the past. My reality is today. Yes, it came from before and will disappear into after, but by virtue of immediacy, it is of highest priority. By virtue of past being past, it is of the lowest priority as we have yet to disover a way to bring back yesterday.
What you choose to do, or not do, is up to you. But I have discovered that experience is usually very expensive while history is free. I personally think it's very useful to be able to learn from previous mistakes. Effectively history is recorded experience, an almost priceless commodity.

DeterminedJuliet

I'm not even remotely Jewish, but the holocaust is definitely something worth keeping in mind.

When I did my history undergrad I did a senior year seminar course on the Holocaust. Four solid months of studying the Holocaust from every angle. It honestly changed me and it is a large part of the reason that I became an atheist. Forgetting or belittling our ability as humans for true inhumanity doesn't do any of us any good, I don't think. I can definitely see why something of that magnitude can scar a collective identity.

I mean, Geez, Westerners starting taking over North America over 500 years ago, but if I was Aboriginal, I think I'd still be pissed. People care about who they are and where they came from (and what people did to their relatives).
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

DeterminedJuliet

Edit: I also agree, you aren't obligated to give a damn about anything. But I wouldn't chose to live my life as though the world started when I was born and will end when I die. But that's just me.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 13, 2012, 08:15:41 PM
I'm not even remotely Jewish, but the holocaust is definitely something worth keeping in mind.

When I did my history undergrad I did a senior year seminar course on the Holocaust. Four solid months of studying the Holocaust from every angle. It honestly changed me and it is a large part of the reason that I became an atheist. Forgetting or belittling our ability as humans for true inhumanity doesn't do any of us any good, I don't think. I can definitely see why something of that magnitude can scar a collective identity.

I mean, Geez, Westerners starting taking over North America over 500 years ago, but if I was Aboriginal, I think I'd still be pissed. People care about who they are and where they came from (and what people did to their relatives).
Because what can be done to ones relatives can possibly be done to one.

AnimatedDirt

I think it is well within my right not to give a damn about how jews - or any ethnic, religious or other groups have been treated in the past.

Of course...unless it was your relatives or people of same thought.

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 13, 2012, 08:24:23 PM
I think it is well within my right not to give a damn about how jews - or any ethnic, religious or other groups have been treated in the past.

Of course...unless it was your relatives or people of same thought.
Why are you presuming Asmo's position? Why don't you ask him how he would feel?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on March 13, 2012, 08:32:08 PM
Why are you presuming Asmo's position? Why don't you ask him how he would feel?

I apologize for presuming a position, Tank.  

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on March 13, 2012, 08:21:53 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 13, 2012, 08:15:41 PM

Because what can be done to ones relatives can possibly be done to one.

Exactly, Canada (and I'm sure the US, though I'm not as familiar) has a very ugly tradition of letting Native groups down. The Inuit have (I think) the highest suicide rates in the world and addiction in their communities runs rampant. They've been royally fucked over as a people and it continues to this day. Not to mention the countless other aboriginal groups across Canada.

But it's really, really easy to not care or not notice if you're white and have never looked into the history and have never set foot on a Reserve.