News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Christians send death threats to Miley Cyrus over atheistic tweet.

Started by Guardian85, March 08, 2012, 08:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Saw this clip on The Young Turks and found a little more respect for Miley Cyrus. Did not expect her to quote Lawrece Krauss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmQYH7CdRXQ

My reaction: How insecure must the christian right be to be conserned over a tweet from Hanna freakin' Montana?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

WTG Miley Cyrus!!!  ;D  You know you've done something right when the Christian right gets all upset at you.  ;D

Buddy

Shesh, I don't even like her and I feel proud. Some faith in humanity has been restored.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Retired member.

Buddy

Quote from: Crow on March 08, 2012, 03:27:03 PM
Miley who?

She was a Disney star who went to drugs just like the rest of them. She was famous for her alter-ego "Hanna Montana" Had a TV show, and did tours around the world. Personally, I thought she was talentless.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

DeterminedJuliet

Any celebrity that has the balls to publicly say "forget Jesus" gets brownie points with me.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Why do people get worked up over quotes? Quoting is re-telling of something someone else said, often outside the contents it was originally said in. Personally, I prefer original phrasing, and if it happens to be almost the same as something someone somewhere said at some point, well, cool.

Is quoting smart people somehow supposed to make a person appear smarter? Or does quoting charismatic people give your opinions more weight?

Oh, and no, beyond this little rant about quoting being overrated, I have little constructive to say... Except perhaps a "good for her!"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Harmonie

Death threats against somebody for using their freedom of speech even though it disagrees with the majority. How American!

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Amicale

I liked what the guy in the youtube clip said. "I'm sure they think they're pro-life... 'hey, let's go kill Miley Cyrus!' "

Well, good for her for posting whatever she wanted to. I'm also unsure why anyone would get enraged over it to the point of sending death threats, but I suspect that those who would bother sending them don't have two critical thinking neurons in their brain to rub together. Only absolute fundies, or absolutely ignorant people, would bother or care. And I hate to say it, because there are a ton of young smart people out there so this doesn't apply to them... but I just can't picture some 70 year old couple sitting down in the kitchen over a cup of tea saying "what do you think, dear? Should we send Miley some hate mail today?"  ::) So, I suspect it's probably the younger Jesus freak/"down with evil-ution" crowd who would bother. That, or the parents whose kids are obsessed with Miley Cyrus, worrying that she's secretly going to lead their kids down the path to the devil.

There aren't enough eye-rolling smilies in the universe for how dumbasses like this make me feel.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

philosoraptor

Didn't think she had it in her.  She's still talentless, but at least she seems to be smarter than her dad.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Amicale

Quote from: philosoraptor on March 14, 2012, 02:21:26 AM
Didn't think she had it in her.  She's still talentless, but at least she seems to be smarter than her dad.

How much effort could that possibly take? The man has a song called "I want my mullet back".  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Radiant on March 14, 2012, 12:54:02 AM
Death threats against somebody for using their freedom of speech even though it disagrees with the majority. How American!
She disrespected my bff Jesus  :P
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 14, 2012, 03:35:52 AM
Quote from: Radiant on March 14, 2012, 12:54:02 AM
She disrespected my bff Jesus  :P

"In open fields of wild flowers, she breathes the air and flies away... she thanks her Jesus for the daisies and the roses in no simple language... someday she'll understand the meaning of it all..." - Jars of Clay

"...and then she grew up, a ton of crap and a few very good things happened, but she opened her eyes, saw the world as messed up as it really is, and understood the meaning of it all, but was astounded at how paper-thin it was -- so she ditched her simple, naive hope that Jesus would make it all better, she became a secular humanist, and eventually joined HAF." - Amicale