News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Santorum backs nullifying existing gay marriages

Started by Tank, March 05, 2012, 09:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Santorum backs nullifying existing gay marriages

QuoteThere are 18,000 married gay and lesbian couples in California and at least 131,000 nationwide according to the 2010 census, conducted before New York state legalized same-sex marriage in July.

Rick Santorum says he'll try to unmarry all of them if he's elected president...
So much for respect for a country based on personal freedom.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hismikeness

He's fighting off the gay with both hands now. This so-called issue is hard to comprehend for me... I don't get why people care so much.

He's ok with government mandated divorce on 18,000 married couples? That seems like a worse attack on the sanctity of marriage these clowns like to flaunt so much.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

The Magic Pudding

Does he know he will never be elected or if per chance he is does, does he curse the secular chains that prevent him from doing what's right and get on with what the extremely rich tell him to do?

If you guys do fall from prominence, I hope you come up with some one sensible, at least Putin is sensible.

Buddy

Really? How the hell can anybody back that up? The presidential campaign in America this year is a joke.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 05, 2012, 02:24:11 PM
Really? How the hell can anybody back that up? The presidential campaign in America this year is a joke.
Unfortunately it's deadly serious. But some of the candidates are a joke!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fester30

Most of the candidates in the Republican field are adamant about reducing the influence of the Federal government, and giving more power back to the states.  However, most of them also are in favor of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman, which serves the purpose of taking an element of marriage law out of the hands of the states.  Oh well I guess it doesn't have to make sense or be consistent.

Harmonie

Every time this man says anything he sickens me to the core. I can't believe we still have people like him running for office in our modern society. It puzzles me how he gets so high up there when his agenda is so backwards and unconstitutional. The Republican party needs to stop being so crazy and stop focusing on social issues!

Quote from: fester30 on March 05, 2012, 05:11:36 PM
Most of the candidates in the Republican field are adamant about reducing the influence of the Federal government, and giving more power back to the states.  However, most of them also are in favor of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman, which serves the purpose of taking an element of marriage law out of the hands of the states.  Oh well I guess it doesn't have to make sense or be consistent.

Oh it's consistent - in that they go with whatever gets them what they want.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Stevil

It's like they are scared that the sky will fall on their heads due to gay people in society being married to each other.
Scary, scary.

fester30

Quote from: Stevil on March 05, 2012, 06:18:40 PM
It's like they are scared that the sky will fall on their heads due to gay people in society being married to each other.
Scary, scary.

Sodom and Gomorrah.  The fear is that the USA will lose favor with God and punishment follows.  I guess gay marriage and sexual immorality put us more in danger of losing favor than executing innocent people, torture, and nonsense wars.  Not to mention some of the horrors of our history over the last couple centuries.

philosoraptor

What does it say about the Abrahamic God if his followers are worried that he might punish innocent people for the decisions their elected officials make?  Then again, this is the same God apparently holding a 4,000+ year old grudge against all of humanity over one piece of fruit, so I guess that logic makes sense.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Ali

Quote from: fester30 on March 05, 2012, 05:11:36 PM
Most of the candidates in the Republican field are adamant about reducing the influence of the Federal government, and giving more power back to the states.  However, most of them also are in favor of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman, which serves the purpose of taking an element of marriage law out of the hands of the states.  Oh well I guess it doesn't have to make sense or be consistent.

This is the part that makes my eye twitch.  Most conservatives are happy to pound their chests in favor of "personal accountability" and "small government" but they would love to have control over two of the most personal decisions a person can make: what they believe and who they want to spend their life with.  I can't imagine a bigger government than one who can tell you which consenting adult you're allowed to marry and what they think you should believe in regards to god.  I don't know why conservatives don't get the disconnect between yelling "Keep yer government hands offa my..." and "but please, allow me to use the government to tell you all what you should be doing with your personal lives."

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Firebird

This is nothing new or particularly shocking by his standards. He's compared homosexual relationships to "man-dog sex" and claims there's no such thing as separation of church and state. Part of me is thrilled that Santorum's still alive in the race and spewing his crap, because it's forcing Romney to go into territory he's clearly uncomfortable with and weakening him. Obama will be a stronger candidate as a result.
And yet on the flip-side, it's very disturbing to think that he appeals to so many people in this country. It's the segment that makes me ashamed to be American.
I read a really crazy article about Santorum and his wife in the NY Times this past weekend. His wife was pro-choice when she was in her 20's and dated the man who founded the first abortion clinic in Pittsburgh. Not only was the guy 40 years older than her, he had been the doctor who delivered her as an infant! How bizarre is that??
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Firebird on March 06, 2012, 03:21:29 AM
And yet on the flip-side, it's very disturbing to think that he appeals to so many people in this country. It's the segment that makes me ashamed to be American.
That's the scariest thing, there are a lot of people with a fucked-up view of the world in the US. Thankfully I'm sure there are enough intelligent rational people in the States to ensure he'd never get elected.

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 05, 2012, 02:14:18 PM
If you guys do fall from prominence, I hope you come up with some one sensible, at least Putin is sensible.
Seriously Pudding? Putin's a nasty piece of work, I'd find him just as scary as Santorum as a possible leader. He just seems like a very unpleasant autocratic dictator to me

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Too Few Lions on March 06, 2012, 10:33:16 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 05, 2012, 02:14:18 PM
Seriously Pudding? Putin's a nasty piece of work, I'd find him just as scary as Santorum as a possible leader. He just seems like a very unpleasant autocratic dictator to me

No I wasn't being entirely serious.
Ye Putin isn't a very nice chap but at least he seems rational, the Tea Party types don't seem entirely sane.