News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Race and religion

Started by Sweetdeath, February 24, 2012, 07:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

I hope this is okay here. I wasn't sure if I should if put it here or life as an atheist.
Anyway, just curious as to how many atheists you know are white/ caucasion? 

99% of my atheist friends are of German, Irish or Russian descent. I myself am mixed or mostly Irish  with a little Spanish. My gf is chinese, but agnostic.

I was watching a stupid court room show with a afrian american judge (judge Mathis I think?). He was doing a domestic abuse case, and in the middle of it, he went on to give the woman advice about attending his church to ask the lord for strength. I was like "wtf? That  seems really unprofessional..."

Instead of giving her like "go to domestic violence shelter"  or  something.
Anyway, my question is:   How many hispanic and african american atheists have you met?

From my personal experience , many of these two ethnicities are highly, highly religious.....

Please share your stories  :D

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

I'm Hispanic.  Well, half.  So is my brother, and he is also an atheist.  So now you've met one.   ;)

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on February 24, 2012, 07:35:36 PM
I'm Hispanic.  Well, half.  So is my brother, and he is also an atheist.  So now you've met one.   ;)

XD haha, cool. I mean, It's funny. The only non religious hispanics I know are mixed.

What are you half of?

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Mixed.  Makes me sound like a cake.

I'm half Mexican, half Irish/Scottish with a bit of American Indian thrown in.  I can't know for sure, but I suspect that all things being equal, I would have had the capacity of coming to my atheism even if I weren't "mixed."  Certainly my mom (the white one) is every bit as religious as my dad if not more so, so I don't really believe that it's her white genes that allowed me to outthink my religious upbringing.

Tank

There is absolutely no causative relationship between race and religion.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2012, 08:01:03 PM
There is absolutely no causative relationship between race and religion.

I suppose I should have been more specific about cultural upbringing. o_o
That's what I mean.

Ali

I will agree that religion plays a heavy part in Hispanic culture. I don't "mixed" or not really matters though about whether or not someone is able to leave their religious upbringing.  

Sorry, I really hate being called mixed.  I can't explain it very well, except that it doesn't sound like something you call a person.  It's like food or paint or something.  Mixed.

ThinkAnarchy

I think Hispanics and blacks might hide their atheism from others, due to the fact religion is such a huge part of their culture. There may simply be more closet atheists in those communities.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on February 24, 2012, 08:04:22 PM
I will agree that religion plays a heavy part in Hispanic culture. I don't "mixed" or not really matters though about whether or not someone is able to leave their religious upbringing.  

Sorry, I really hate being called mixed.  I can't explain it very well, except that it doesn't sound like something you call a person.  It's like food or paint or something.  Mixed.

I'm sorry, i'm of mixed race as well though. What exactly is a better term?

Tank

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 24, 2012, 08:45:23 PM
I think Hispanics and blacks might hide their atheism from others, due to the fact religion is such a huge part of their culture. There may simply be more closet atheists in those communities.
On the basis of what some members here have said I think you are absolutely correct in this assessment.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 24, 2012, 08:48:43 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 24, 2012, 08:04:22 PM

I'm sorry, i'm of mixed race as well though. What exactly is a better term?

I don't know, to be honest.  I'm not one one of those that thinks no one should ever talk about race in frank terms.  There is just something about calling someone "mixed" that puts my teeth on edge.  I think because I only ever heard it used in a derogatory way when I was growing up, as in being "mixed" is a bad thing.  

Tank

People with ancestors that have a widely separated/divergent genetic heritage have the advantage of being more heterozygous than those with ancestors that share a common genetic heritage.   

Ali

Well yeah, it's not like I think it really is a bad thing to be of mixed heritage, I just always get a little edgy when people start calling someone "mixed."  I like the fact that I'm half Mexican half Irish-ish.  One of my exes (himself a proper Irishman from Ireland) once told me that I look like a mix between J Lo and Marsha Brady.  I know a complement when I hear one.  It's just the term "mixed."  Mixed. 

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2012, 09:02:02 PM
People with ancestors that have a widely separated/divergent genetic heritage have the advantage of being more heterozygous than those with ancestors that share a common genetic heritage.   
Heterozygous? Ooh, what does that mean?

Ali: I have never heard the term mixed race used in a derogatory manner. I mean, at this point everyone is mixed in some way. I dont mean to offend you, but I have no idea what term you want me to use.

Tip toeing around race and  cultural issues is exactly what is wrong with Western society.

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 24, 2012, 09:14:24 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2012, 09:02:02 PM
Heterozygous? Ooh, what does that mean?

Ali: I have never heard the term mixed race used in a derogatory manner. I mean, at this point everyone is mixed in some way. I dont mean to offend you, but I have no idea what term you want me to use.

Tip toeing around race and  cultural issues is exactly what is wrong with Western society.

Heterozygous = same genes. 

It's fine.  It's probably also a regional thing.  I grew up in rural OH where there were plenty of racist jerks who really did think that being mixed is a bad thing.  Probably why I immediately associate it with racism.