Discussion on British culture - our favourite British stuff!

Started by Amicale, February 24, 2012, 12:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

So chips are basically potatoe wedges?

Btw, I do love fish and chips. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 26, 2012, 08:35:11 PM

Not really as that are square in cross section not triangular. They are also plain, with no seasoned coating. The potato is also peeled.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2012, 08:41:01 PM

Not really as that are square in cross section not triangular. They are also plain, with no seasoned coating. The potato is also peeled.

No seasoning? Oh, you plain Brits <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 26, 2012, 08:49:10 PM

:D We add salt and vinegar to taste. Also curry sauce.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on February 26, 2012, 08:51:22 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 26, 2012, 08:49:10 PM

:D We add salt and vinegar to taste. Also curry sauce.

It must be the American way of making them, but the chips that I've eaten had way too much pepper.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

The perfect British chip should be deep fried in beef fat.

Willow

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 25, 2012, 09:43:45 PM

I also drink NewCastle beer sometimes, though the Germans and Americans have the British beat in the beer department. Not American cheap beer, but the microbrews mind you.

We call Newcastle Brown Ale "Dog" for a reason.  That's how you will feel in the morning.
I'm a great fan of British beer, but it has to be kept right.  I don't know the technicalities, but the same beer tastes different depending on the pub.  I drink bottled ale too, Spitfire or Bishop's Finger or Tangle Foot or Old Speckled Hen.  Hmm.  Pub.

Don't write British beer off because you've tried it and didn't like it.  You might have been given Boddies, which tastes of dishwater.

I like the weather, and the Beeb, though I can feel a bit cocooned in BBC smugness at times.

Siz

Btw, I do love fish and chips. :)

Do you still have that 'Long John Silver' chain in the States? It's the best approximation I've seen over there but still not quite there. Maybe NYC has more and better of this kinda thing.

BTW fish and chips as we know it was an Italian imigrant invention after WW1.

Quote from: ThinkAnarchyI also drink NewCastle beer sometimes, though the Germans and Americans have the British beat in the beer department. Not American cheap beer, but the microbrews mind you.

Maybe its just a personal taste thing, but I don't think you can beat a good English ale (and I don't include Newcastle Brown Ale amongst them). For those of you with access to it, Ubu beer from Warwickshire is my most favourite available on-tap, but there are hundreds of good microbrewers aswell as larger high-street names equally quaffable. I know that not many of you are exposed to good English ale (we don't seem to export the good stuff), but don't knock it until you've paid it the attention it deserves.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Scissorlegs on February 28, 2012, 04:22:21 AM

Maybe its just a personal taste thing, but I don't think you can beat a good English ale (and I don't include Newcastle Brown Ale amongst them). For those of you with access to it, Ubu beer from Warwickshire is my most favourite available on-tap, but there are hundreds of good microbrewers aswell as larger high-street names equally quaffable. I know that not many of you are exposed to good English ale (we don't seem to export the good stuff), but don't knock it until you've paid it the attention it deserves.

You are correct, we do not have a lot options for English beer imports. I had the misconception it was due to a lack of selection, but based on the responses, that isn't the case. Personally, I don't think U.S. microbrews get exported to many countries either. I can find a large selection of German imports, but not British. I will have to keep an eye out for some of the ones mentioned in this thread though.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Crow

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 28, 2012, 06:28:24 PM
You are correct, we do not have a lot options for English beer imports. I had the misconception it was due to a lack of selection, but based on the responses, that isn't the case. Personally, I don't think U.S. microbrews get exported to many countries either. I can find a large selection of German imports, but not British. I will have to keep an eye out for some of the ones mentioned in this thread though.

There are a few places near me that sell American microbrews the main place I go too has a ridiculous selection of American craft beers (they stock Anchor, Anderson Valley, Ballast Point, Bear Republic, Brooklyn, Buckbean, Caldera, Cigar City, Coronado, Dark Horse, Dogfish Head, Duck Rabbit, flying dog, Goose Island, Grassroots, Great Divide, Green Flash, Indigo IMP, Jolly Pumpkin, Kona, Left Hand, Lexington, Maui, Odell, Ommegang, Original Sin, Port, Rogue, Sam Adams, Saranac, Sierra Nevada, Stone, Sudwerk, The Bruery, The Lost Abbey, Uinta, Victory. And have pretty much every beer those brewery's' produce) but have only really tried about a quarter of them and not every beer they produce. There are quite a few places that focus on just craft/microbrew beers in the UK but you need to know where they are and can cost an arm and a leg if your not careful.
Retired member.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Crow on February 28, 2012, 07:49:33 PM

There are a few places near me that sell American microbrews the main place I go too has a ridiculous selection of American craft beers (they stock Anchor, Anderson Valley, Ballast Point, Bear Republic, Brooklyn, Buckbean, Caldera, Cigar City, Coronado, Dark Horse, Dogfish Head, Duck Rabbit, flying dog, Goose Island, Grassroots, Great Divide, Green Flash, Indigo IMP, Jolly Pumpkin, Kona, Left Hand, Lexington, Maui, Odell, Ommegang, Original Sin, Port, Rogue, Sam Adams, Saranac, Sierra Nevada, Stone, Sudwerk, The Bruery, The Lost Abbey, Uinta, Victory. And have pretty much every beer those brewery's' produce) but have only really tried about a quarter of them and not every beer they produce. There are quite a few places that focus on just craft/microbrew beers in the UK but you need to know where they are and can cost an arm and a leg if your not careful.

I live around 5 German style beer gardens with huge selections, but it's mostly U.S. microbrews and Germen imports. Granted, I hardly ever venture into their bottled beer selection, because like you, it can cost a fortune. I also prefer German beers like Oktoberfests and Spatan Optimator, though I'm positive the British draft selection is lacking. Some of the bottled imports can top $25 USD. I know their selection of draft beers from the U.K. is very limited, but I will have to look for a reasonably priced one.

I also don't personally consider Ommegang to be an American brewer. I think technically they are, but I believe they are simply an American based expansion of a Belgian brewer. I personally love Ommegang though.

Also the places you mention seem to have a larger selection of American microbrews than the beer gardens around me. Abita is the most common in my area, but simply because it's the states best micro.

Also, to get a little side tracked, if you want to try a great Canadian beer, try and find Maudite. I find it absolutely delicious.

Also I just pulled up their menu and for draft they offer NewCastle Brown and Bass Pale Ale.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Crow

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 28, 2012, 08:15:11 PM
I live around 5 German style beer gardens with huge selections, but it's mostly U.S. microbrews and Germen imports. Granted, I hardly ever venture into their bottled beer selection, because like you, it can cost a fortune. I also prefer German beers like Oktoberfests and Spatan Optimator, though I'm positive the British draft selection is lacking. Some of the bottled imports can top $25 USD. I know their selection of draft beers from the U.K. is very limited, but I will have to look for a reasonably priced one.

I also don't personally consider Ommegang to be an American brewer. I think technically they are, but I believe they are simply an American based expansion of a Belgian brewer. I personally love Ommegang though.

Also the places you mention seem to have a larger selection of American microbrews than the beer gardens around me. Abita is the most common in my area, but simply because it's the states best micro.

Also, to get a little side tracked, if you want to try a great Canadian beer, try and find Maudite. I find it absolutely delicious.

Also I just pulled up their menu and for draft they offer NewCastle Brown and Bass Pale Ale.

I will have to keep my eyes out for Maudite. Good British microbrews can be stupidly expensive even in the UK so I wouldn't be surprised if they cost close to $40 - $80 in the US for a bottle, but I would say the normal priced US beers seem to be better than the normal priced UK beers.
Retired member.

Recusant

On topic: QI. I don't think that it would travel well to the US. I know that there's a version in the Netherlands, and that doesn't surprise me. I've only really had experience with two northern European counties, the UK and the Netherlands, and could see QI working there. I read one American's description of the show as "too precious" to work in the US, and that may be it, but I think that really it's more about the anti-intellectual element in the society of the US.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Amicale

Quote from: Recusant on February 28, 2012, 11:18:52 PM
On topic: QI. I don't think that it would travel well to the US. I know that there's a version in the Netherlands, and that doesn't surprise me. I've only really had experience with two northern European counties, the UK and the Netherlands, and could see QI working there. I read one American's description of the show as "too precious" to work in the US, and that may be it, but I think that really it's more about the anti-intellectual element in the society of the US.

It sounds like I'd love it. I wish I could see it here in Canada. Stephen Fry is great, and it doesn't surprise me at all that John Lloyd produced it, considering Blackadder and Not the Nine O'Clock News were awesome.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan