News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Discussion on British culture - our favourite British stuff!

Started by Amicale, February 24, 2012, 12:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: statichaos on February 24, 2012, 05:36:53 PM
I forgot Pratchett.  He's easily my favorite modern writer.
I've read all his books at least 3 times and some, like Guards Guards and Going Postal, many times. The Sky TV production of Going Postal is absolutely brilliant.

Whoever cast Claire Foy as Adora Belle Dearheart really knew what they were doing.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2012, 05:43:13 PM
Quote from: statichaos on February 24, 2012, 05:36:53 PM
I forgot Pratchett.  He's easily my favorite modern writer.
I've read all his books at least 3 times and some, like Guards Guards and Going Postal, many times. The Sky TV production of Going Postal is absolutely brilliant.

Whoever cast Claire Foy as Adora Belle Dearheart really knew what they were doing.

Sounds like you and I have similar taste in books, at least in this regard! A personal favourite of mine is Wyrd Sisters. It's brilliant.  ;D

And thanks for sharing that trailer, I love Going Postal, I really want to see that now!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2012, 05:15:55 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 24, 2012, 04:56:29 PM
British curry is just indian curry. I would still love to try some though *__* sounds yummy.
Oh no it isn't! British curry is very very different from Indian curry. Indian curry AFAIK is much milder than some of the curries you can get in the UK. My father in law first had curry in India and really liked it. When he came home to England he went to a curry house and it nearly blew his head off!
that's the impression I've got from friends who've been to India. I had a very nice chicken tikka jalfrezi a few weeks ago that had about 25 little birds eye chillies in. I think the chef must have made a mistake and accidently put too many in. I ate the whole lot but needed to follow it with three pints of water to try and put the fire in my mouth out!

Sweetdeath

Sounds good to me!! The spicier, the better. I put cayenne pepper on almost  everything.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

Quote from: Too Few Lions on February 24, 2012, 06:07:13 PM
that's the impression I've got from friends who've been to India. I had a very nice chicken tikka jalfrezi a few weeks ago that had about 25 little birds eye chillies in. I think the chef must have made a mistake and accidently put too many in. I ate the whole lot but needed to follow it with three pints of water to try and put the fire in my mouth out!

In a Jalfrezi!? Damn that must have been a surprise. It always seems to be pot luck how spicy a curry is I usually order a madras (as I prefer very spicy food) and they can vary greatly from mild to hurt your organs spicy.
Retired member.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Crow on February 25, 2012, 01:10:49 AM
Quote from: Too Few Lions on February 24, 2012, 06:07:13 PM

In a Jalfrezi!? Damn that must have been a surprise. It always seems to be pot luck how spicy a curry is I usually order a madras (as I prefer very spicy food) and they can vary greatly from mild to hurt your organs spicy.
yeah, I'm a bit of a jalfrezi junkie, and they can definitely vary from curry house to curry house, but they're always pretty hot. I like them best because they have fresh onions and capsicum in, as well as fresh green birds eye chillies. I find madras and vindaloo don't have the fresh green chillies in that I love.

I'm pleased I'm not the only hot food freak on the forum, it's good to see you and SD are too!

statichaos

I was born in San Diego.  We use jalapenos as baby food, and they use tequila to wean us from our mothers' teats. 

Tank

Quote from: statichaos on February 25, 2012, 01:52:20 AM
I was born in San Diego.  We use jalapenos as baby food, and they use tequila to wean us from our mothers' teats. 
So you have no sense of taste at all now?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ThinkAnarchy

I love Fawlty Towers and Death at a Funeral (the original British version obviously).

I also really like the most of the Monty Python movies, in particular, Quest for the Holy Grail.

I also drink NewCastle beer sometimes, though the Germans and Americans have the British beat in the beer department. Not American cheap beer, but the microbrews mind you.

Added: The Streets music I enjoy as well.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 25, 2012, 09:43:45 PM
Americans have the British beat in the beer department. Not American cheap beer, but the microbrews mind you.

Absolutely no chance.
Retired member.

Ali

Quote from: Crow on February 25, 2012, 10:00:36 PM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on February 25, 2012, 09:43:45 PM
Americans have the British beat in the beer department. Not American cheap beer, but the microbrews mind you.

Absolutely no chance.

Come to Colorado and taste some of our microbrews before you make up your mind.  I hate 99% of all beer out on the mass market, but the brewers here know what they're doing.

Crow

Quote from: Ali on February 25, 2012, 10:47:23 PM
Come to Colorado and taste some of our microbrews before you make up your mind.  I hate 99% of all beer out on the mass market, but the brewers here know what they're doing.

Im not saying its bad, not by a long way but in my opinion British craft beers have the American ones beat, however I think the Japanese craft beers are by far the best I have tasted.
Retired member.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 25, 2012, 09:50:38 PM
I'm going to have to say fish and chips and Top Gear.

Have Americans finally started calling chips chips?
A crisp is also a chip.
There needn't be a dictionary entry for fries, they are just skinny chips.

Well I'm glad that's sorted out, now for the advanced stuff

jelly

jam

Jello is an unnecessary word (unless you're a dead Kennedy) and jelly is totally inappropriate for sandwiches.
Why would anyone mix peanut butter and jam anyway?

Buddy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 26, 2012, 03:12:02 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 25, 2012, 09:50:38 PM
I'm going to have to say fish and chips and Top Gear.

Have Americans finally started calling chips chips?
A crisp is also a chip.
There needn't be a dictionary entry for fries, they are just skinny chips.

Well I'm glad that's sorted out, now for the advanced stuff

jelly

jam

Jello is an unnecessary word (unless you're a dead Kennedy) and jelly is totally inappropriate for sandwiches.
Why would anyone mix peanut butter and jam anyway?

Eh.. no. The only time you hear the British version of chips is when you actually order the fish and chips meal. I know, it confused me as well. Along with a few waitresses who brought me crisps and received the 'WTF is this' look.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.