News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Discussion on British culture - our favourite British stuff!

Started by Amicale, February 24, 2012, 12:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

Quote from: Tank on March 20, 2012, 06:45:31 PM
Quote from: Ali on March 20, 2012, 05:11:29 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 20, 2012, 03:50:05 AM
And how about the way some Englishmen call women in general "love"?  I know it doesn't actually mean anything, but it's still nice to hear.

That is endearing.  At the recent conference I went to in Vegas, we had our fair share of Englishmen.  Most of them called my friends and I "Sweetheart."  I couldn't tell if they were being condescending or if it was just a British thing, but on the other hand I thought that it had a sort of Bogartesque flair to it, so I smiled pretty and let it go.

The 'love' thing is a Northern expression and it isn't limited to men/woman it is completely asexual and quite acceptable man/man or woman/woman. 

No it's not.  I have never heard a man call another man "love" outside a sexual context.  I call people "love" to be friendly.  Women call men and women "love" and men call women "love" but it doesn't work the other way. 

Some people don't like it and it can be patronising in some contexts, but I don't mind at all if people call me love in a well intentioned way.

Tank

Quote from: Willow on March 21, 2012, 08:45:09 PM
And how about the way some Englishmen call women in general "love"?  I know it doesn't actually mean anything, but it's still nice to hear.

That is endearing.  At the recent conference I went to in Vegas, we had our fair share of Englishmen.  Most of them called my friends and I "Sweetheart."  I couldn't tell if they were being condescending or if it was just a British thing, but on the other hand I thought that it had a sort of Bogartesque flair to it, so I smiled pretty and let it go.

The 'love' thing is a Northern expression and it isn't limited to men/woman it is completely asexual and quite acceptable man/man or woman/woman. 

No it's not.  I have never heard a man call another man "love" outside a sexual context.  I call people "love" to be friendly.  Women call men and women "love" and men call women "love" but it doesn't work the other way. 

Some people don't like it and it can be patronising in some contexts, but I don't mind at all if people call me love in a well intentioned way.
When I joined a company in Leeds I had to spend 4 weeks in the warehouse picking and packing. It was a 'waster' to see who could stick it. That's the first time I'd been addressed as 'Love' by another bloke ever, so it happens in Leeds I can guarantee that  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2012, 08:53:55 PM
Quote from: Willow on March 21, 2012, 08:45:09 PM

When I joined a company in Leeds I had to spend 4 weeks in the warehouse picking and packing. It was a 'waster' to see who could stick it. That's the first time I'd been addressed as 'Love' by another bloke ever, so it happens in Leeds I can guarantee that  ;D

I've been called 'love' by some northern guys on a building site I was working on once. It was just a friendly term and had a good vibe about it.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on March 22, 2012, 12:16:20 AM
I've been called 'love' by some northern guys on a building site I was working on once. It was just a friendly term and had a good vibe about it.

That could be due to the fact you're a southern fairy  ;D. But on a serious note I have been called 'love' by a few fellas and was meant in the same mannerism as 'mate'.
Retired member.

Too Few Lions

'mi baba' and 'mi luvver' are common greetings here in the west country

Augustus

One of my favourite British things are Jaffa Cakes  ;D

Hector Valdez

Oscar Wilde was a pussy. Of course, that's not a bad thing.

I like the english language, and all the english poets. Samuel Taylor Coleridge is someone that must be read before death, lest life be left a loss and failure...Amen.

Recusant

Quote from: The Semaestro on March 23, 2012, 08:55:46 PMOscar Wilde was a pussy. Of course, that's not a bad thing.

The first sentence above manages to be irrelevant, inaccurate and asinine in equal measure. The second does nothing to redeem the first. I think I'm going to like having you around.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

OldGit

Quote from: The SemaestroSamuel Taylor Coleridge is someone that must be read before death ...Amen.

Agreed - it's so much easier than reading him when you're dead.  ;D

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"