News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Gay Texas judge won't marry straight couples

Started by Tank, February 27, 2012, 10:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on February 28, 2012, 11:32:40 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 28, 2012, 11:16:01 PM

This is true.  My husband and I have actually talked about getting a divorce until gay people are allowed to marry in our state, as a way to show solidarity with the gay community.  And I'm a little embarrassed to say that even though I kind of do think it's the right thing to do, I haven't ever seriously considered it, because I want to be married.  And if you think about it, that's kind of shitty.  Like "Yes, I do want equality and I do want gay people to have the right to marry, but even if they don't, I'm happy to avail myself of a priviledge that they don't have."  As straight people, we may support gay people in their fight for equality, but we definitely don't have as much skin in the game.  Maybe if we did, we'd fight harder.

Ali, please never actually seriously consider a divorce just to show solidarity with a group who can't currently marry. The best way to get marriage equality rights for everyone isn't for those who are married to give up their marriages, but for those who are single or married to show their support for others who want to be married, too. It's not kind of shitty to want to be married, and to want to stay married, when you already are married. It's like other social issues we're trying to change and eradicate -- what's the best way to fight poverty, by giving up your home in solidarity with those who don't have homes... or working to get stuff done so people who need homes can get them? What's the best way to fight hunger, stop eating... or do everything we can to feed the hungry and get them the help they need too?

Eh. I hardly speak for the gay community. I only speak for myself, and I know I am speaking as someone in a country where same sex marriage is fully legal (and surprise surprise, the bottom hasn't dropped out of society OR marriage, go figure).... but for what my 2 cents are worth, if I wanted to marry my partner and couldn't marry them, I wouldn't want straight people to give up their marriages until I was able to marry. I'd want them to stay happily married, and to help pave a path by encouraging the government to let me marry too. I'd invite straight friends to rallies, pride parades, social media awareness sites, anything it took. But the last thing I'd want is for them to give up some of the happiness in their life, just because I couldn't have it.

(((Amicale))))  You're so sweet!

The bolded makes a lot of sense.  Thanks!

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

No one should be allowed to be marry! (jk )

I see this judge's point, but i sadly don;t know what good it will do. Straight couples have never faced any challenge like homosexuals with marriage... Denying them won't change anything. We need equal rights for all... *sigh*
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 29, 2012, 03:49:41 AM
No one should be allowed to be marry! (jk )

I see this judge's point, but i sadly don;t know what good it will do. Straight couples have never faced any challenge like homosexuals with marriage... Denying them won't change anything. We need equal rights for all... *sigh*

Actually, just from a North American perspective alone I'd say that the fight for slavery to end, the fight for women to get the vote, and the fight for civil rights for African Americans in the USA are a few really huge instances where people had to face some huge challenges, and I'm assuming that those issues affected a LOT of straight couples who had to fight hard during them. Divisive issues, too. So at least in the not-so-distance past, people certainly faced civil/social challenges that were overcome through massive displays of public awareness, concern, civil disobedience, protests, marches, etc etc. It's just that now that those particular events are behind people and they've settled into a life that's more comfortable for them.... some of them haven't realized yet that the fight's not over, and that there's more to stand up for.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan