News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Atheists are christians

Started by Jonesboy, February 19, 2012, 04:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Triangles, they can do all manner of once considered impossible things.
I tried to keep 'em quiet but they wouldn't listen.

statichaos

Quote from: Ali on February 22, 2012, 02:20:38 PM
Quote from: statichaos on February 22, 2012, 02:20:36 AM
Quote from: En_Route on February 21, 2012, 11:08:29 PM
Evil is cool. As are stockings.

Evil is boring at best, and annoying at worst.

Depends on what you call evil.  Some things that religions call evil are actually quite fun.

I agree.  However, I'm talking about what I call evil, not what religions call evil. 

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on February 22, 2012, 02:20:38 PM
Quote from: statichaos on February 22, 2012, 02:20:36 AM
Quote from: En_Route on February 21, 2012, 11:08:29 PM
Evil is cool. As are stockings.

Evil is boring at best, and annoying at worst.

Depends on what you call evil.  Some things that religions call evil are actually quite fun.

From Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut.

*snip for brevity*

I love Vonnegut.  ;D Thanks for sharing that one.

And yes, in my own life I've discovered that according to most religious people/religious belief systems, my very life itself is sinful, immoral, and evil in more ways than one. Yet, oddly, there are parts of it I wouldn't trade for the world. Parts I consider very fun. Downright precious to me, even. :) One of them is currently sitting slumped over sideways on the couch, napping with her barbie doll and my cat.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

statichaos

Quote from: Amicale on February 22, 2012, 06:33:03 PM

And yes, in my own life I've discovered that according to most religious people/religious belief systems, my very life itself is sinful, immoral, and evil in more ways than one. Yet, oddly, there are parts of it I wouldn't trade for the world. Parts I consider very fun. Downright precious to me, even. :)

Same here.  Our concepts of good and evil exist only within the mind (even for those who follow a particular religious path, who are doing their best to interpret what they have learned from the texts and teachings), and the best that we can do is to follow them with reason, compassion, and common sense.  Mormons would consider my alcohol intake to be evil, and yet I only consider it to be so if it has a negative impact on others.  Catholics (at least those in the religious hierarchy, if not the laity)  consider my use of birth control to be evil, and yet I consider it to be a good considering that it allows intimacy between me and my wife without danger of conceiving a child that we couldn't possibly care for in our current financial circumstances.  Some consider my marijuana use to be evil, but it relieves symptoms that negatively affect my quality of life. 

As I don't have sacred scriptures to fall back on--though I do find some comfort and inspiration in passages from many of them--I have to take what I consider to be good and evil on a case by case basis.  I can't even lay claim to a consistent morality, only an intuitive insight tempered by what I see as reason and practicality.  I can say that it's seemed to work so far.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Jonesboy on February 19, 2012, 04:13:10 AM
Atheists are christians because both believe that forms are given to us. For christians, forms are given magically. For atheists forms are there all along - just like magic..

You've got it all wrong. All atheists, Christians, Muslims and everybody else are actually Flying Spaghetti Monsterists because everybody eats spaghetti. Spaghetti is magic because I say so with religious authority, thereofre I can basically twist the meaning of anything to suit anything I want it to.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 23, 2012, 02:37:27 AM
You've got it all wrong. All atheists, Christians, Muslims and everybody else are actually Flying Spaghetti Monsterists because everybody eats spaghetti. Spaghetti is magic because I say so with religious authority, thereofre I can basically twist the meaning of anything to suit anything I want it to.

Works for me.  Ramen!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 23, 2012, 03:48:19 AM

Works for me.  Ramen!

Doubtless all these kitchen utensils popping all over HAF have something to do with it. To the trained eye it would be quite obvious that we're all in fact closeted FSMists and not Christians. So there!

;D

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 24, 2012, 02:15:05 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 23, 2012, 03:48:19 AM

Works for me.  Ramen!

Doubtless all these kitchen utensils popping all over HAF have something to do with it. To the trained eye it would be quite obvious that we're all in fact closeted FSMists and not Christians. So there!

;D

If I had to pick a religious outlook, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is indeed a tasty deity. Ceiling Cat is also purrrfect, in his own way. In the end, I think Frisbeeterianism has its advantages too -- it's the belief that when you die, your soul gets stuck up on a roof. :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on February 24, 2012, 02:17:36 AM
Frisbeeterianism has its advantages too -- it's the belief that when you die, your soul gets stuck up on a roof. :D

LOL :D

And if it goes over your neighbours wall and gets stuck somewhere on his roof or lawn, it would make for a good Frisbeeterianism Good Samaritan story.

I almost feel inspired to write some Frisbee scripture.  :P

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 24, 2012, 02:24:47 AM
Frisbeeterianism has its advantages too -- it's the belief that when you die, your soul gets stuck up on a roof. :D

And if it goes over your neighbours wall and gets stuck somewhere on his roof or lawn, it would make for a good Frisbeeterianism Good Samaritan story.

I almost feel inspired to write some Frisbee scripture.  :P

O Great and Mighty Frisbee in the sky
To you we throw our frisbees high
Please hear our cry, be not aloof
And guide our frisbees to the roof.
Wheeeee! (a good substitute for amen)

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 24, 2012, 02:24:47 AM

I almost feel inspired to write some Frisbee scripture.  :P

Hmmm interesting.
So the bull dog preventing you being recovered is obviously a suburban manifestation of the archetypal Cerberus.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 24, 2012, 03:11:15 AM
Hmmm interesting.
So the bull dog preventing you being recovered is obviously a suburban manifestation of the archetypal Cerberus.

Yes, though in my case it's three dogs than one three headed dog, that can act upon three different decisions at the same time, try beating that.  :o

Cerberus would be a push-over in a the Frisbee-worship ritual. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mturnau/5780994738/lightbox/

Quote from: Amicale on February 24, 2012, 03:03:46 AM

That's really good :P Wheeeee!

pytheas

all spaghetti are actually noodles
I know I will become chinese
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Hector Valdez

I like Rice pasta, meself. Unfortunately, the rice is to the FSM what Satan is to the Christ. An ANTI-PASTA... :o

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on February 24, 2012, 03:03:46 AM

This is the best thing ever.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.