News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

My friend the theist

Started by Willow, February 18, 2012, 10:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

I am the only one to have a religious friend?  My close local mummy friend is a church going, tithing Christian and I love her very much.  She is supportive and we both look after each other's children every now and then.  She knows I'm an atheist and has never tried to convince me otherwise or invite me to church or the like.
Who else has a trust friendship with someone very religiously different?
Willow.

Dobermonster

One of my best friends is a Christian. Our practical values are fairly similar, so it works. She knows I'm an atheist and doesn't try to convert me, so I don't try to de-convert her.

Ali

One of my dear friends is also Christian.  But she respects who I am, and I respect who she is, so it's honestly never been an issue.

Amicale

One of my best friends is a traditional Catholic, but we respect each other's differences and we get along great. He and I mostly talk about nerdy/geeky stuff, our kids, shared favourite hobbies, etc. Our general values line up really well, so we don't disagree on anything major when it comes to how we'd live day to day. We've been there for each other through a LOT this year, and I wouldn't trade that friendship for the world.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Siz

My wife is a church goer and an active participant.

She laughs at my Atheism and we both laugh at the ridiculousness of Christianity.

It's really a non-issue for us.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Amicale

Quote from: Scissorlegs on February 18, 2012, 10:45:52 PM

She laughs at my Atheism and we both laugh at the ridiculousness of Christianity.

:D I guess I forgot to mention the most obvious person in my life, lol: my girlfriend's an Anglican. She's also active in her church, but she's prettymuch the most liberal Christian I know, and we both roll our eyes at the fundies together. So, like you and your wife, it's completely a non-issue for us which is why I overlooked it in the first place!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Sandra Craft

Nearly everyone in my life is religious in some way, and most of them are Xtians.  My girlfriend is a very liberal Xtian, but not a regular church-goer.  My brother, who converted to Catholicism when he married, has been exploring Eastern religions since his divorce and my stepmother has always been very traditionally Xtian.  It's never been a problem for me with any of them, altho I will admit when my girlfriend's daughter announced she was an agnostic I did have a "finally, some company!" feeling.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

The most religious person I know is one of my uncles (when in the military, he got a medal from the Pope), but we are not that close.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Siz

Quote from: Amicale on February 18, 2012, 10:47:58 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on February 18, 2012, 10:45:52 PM

:D I guess I forgot to mention the most obvious person in my life, lol: my girlfriend's an Anglican. She's also active in her church, but she's prettymuch the most liberal Christian I know, and we both roll our eyes at the fundies together. So, like you and your wife, it's completely a non-issue for us which is why I overlooked it in the first place!

My wife didn't go to church when we first met - did I drive her to it?  :D.

She was adamant she wanted the kids Christened though... and of course get them into the best local school (Church of England) which we would otherwise never have accomplished.

Cynical? Yes. Hypocritical? If you say so... Pleased with ourselves? Definitely!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

I do.

Religious friend A:
She is the only person I know that argues against my atheism and considers herself catholic, but when you get into conversation with her about what she actually believes her concept of god is that of a deistic god and doesn't really believe in the trinity or anything beyond a historical Jesus. She considers her Catholicism more of a cultural thing and only goes to church on Christmas if she is back in Ireland. Oh and is a teacher in an Islamic school which has started to change her thoughts on religion massively which is a good thing in my books.

Religious friend B:
Has his own concept of what god is and is a total mixture of his parents and step parents beliefs. Parts are Christian, parts are Islam, bits of Rastafari and the rest is just mumbo jumbo spiritual rubbish. I just find it funny as he has never read any religious book (I'd be surprised if he has ever read a book) or been to any type of church and is basically repeating things he has heard or seen online that sound cool to him. it's bit of a hipster tumblr religion if you ask me.
Retired member.

Harmonie

I live in The Bible Belt... Non-religious people are rare around here. Although, I've noticed that quite a few people I've known over the years have shifted away from religion.

I do have one that friend that I made several years ago. He is a very conservative homophobic Catholic. It's a real wonder we can talk to each other. However, I've never been very open about myself in ways that would conflict with him, so we've never had any issues. We're friends because we get perfectly along otherwise. We just don't bring up politics or religion (unless speaking about general things we can both agree on). We both have a great appreciation for Classical/Renaissance music and watch anime, so we talk about those things.

I have other theist friends. Although, it's just not as big of a conflict with them. Or I should say it wouldn't be.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Tank

One acquaintance an one friend.

The acquaintance was the local vicar. We got to know each other walking our dogs. She was a super lady and we got on like a house on fire. But we never discussed religion! She wore her own dog collar so it was obvious she was religious. She moved away to a new parish a couple of months ago.

My theist friend, Admire, is a Muslim from Bosnia. Great bloke. He knows I'm an atheist but couldn't care less. I've been to his house a few times and his wife was a little surprised when took flowers for her as a thank you for all the food she would always prepare when I went. Admire laughed as she was so surprised that I would give her a gift just for he being nice to me. In Bosnia taking flowers to another man's wife would be a real no-no. But as Admire said, "We live in England now, that's the way it's done here."

While at college the class was mostly Muslim and I had no trouble with any of them. One was an Afgan Sufi and he was a real laugh. He used to tease my about my atheism and I would tease back about his faith.

I have never met a Muslim I didn't get on with. I had a couple working for me for a while and neither of them ever impolite or reserved around me at all.

It's these experiences that I recall whenever I read or here people 'knocking' Muslims as I have never met one who was not polite and friendly.

I'm not nieve enough to believe all Muslims are nice people, some obviously aren't but I've not met any in real life that are.

In my experience one should see the person before their religion.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

The other thing I am very proud of is the way my kids have grown up to be totally accepting of people irrespective of their race, sexual orientation and creed. My son spent his last year at college with a room mate who was a Muslim from Singapore. They used to go out and get pissed together! He also has an American girlfriend who is 100% ethnic Vietnamese . Her Mum and Dad both escaped to America from Vietnam during the war, They met in America and brought up their family there. My son met her while he was at UCLA on an exchange year.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 04:01:38 PM
The other thing I am very proud of is the way my kids have grown up to be totally accepting of people irrespective of their race, sexual orientation and creed. My son spent his last year at college with a room mate who was a Muslim from Singapore. They used to go out and get pissed together! He also has an American girlfriend who is 100% ethnic Vietnamese . Her Mum and Dad both escaped to America from Vietnam during the war, They met in America and brought up their family there. My son met her while he was at UCLA on an exchange year.

Tank, that's absolutely awesome. The fact that your kids grew up that way is proof that their parents did quite a fine job indeed raising them. :)

MariaEvri

QuoteI am the only one to have a religious friend?
all my friends are religion
recently a girl at work had a minor car accident. She claims the picture sof the saints in her car protected her (no emntion of the seat belt)
fasting period is coming and Ill be the odd one out again
I also had my first preaching from another friend too
they all talk about going to church
and so on
and so forth
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com