Main Menu

My friend the theist

Started by Willow, February 18, 2012, 10:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: MariaEvri on February 19, 2012, 05:52:45 PM
Quotefasting period is coming and Ill be the odd one out again
I

Then when they go hungry, you have a sandwich and laugh!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Crow

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 03:55:26 PM
I have never met a Muslim I didn't get on with. I had a couple working for me for a while and neither of them ever impolite or reserved around me at all.

It's these experiences that I recall whenever I read or here people 'knocking' Muslims as I have never met one who was not polite and friendly.

This is also my experience of people of the Islamic faith.
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Crow on February 19, 2012, 06:58:03 PM
I have never met a Muslim I didn't get on with. I had a couple working for me for a while and neither of them ever impolite or reserved around me at all.

It's these experiences that I recall whenever I read or here people 'knocking' Muslims as I have never met one who was not polite and friendly.

Honestly, I've had the same experience.

During my work Christmas party I got drunk with one of my co-workers who was Muslim. We debated pretty much everything, but it was always friendly (and with every drink he kept repeating, "ohhhhhhh, I'm a bad Muslim!")
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 19, 2012, 07:07:55 PM
Quote from: Crow on February 19, 2012, 06:58:03 PM

Honestly, I've had the same experience.

During my work Christmas party I got drunk with one of my co-workers who was Muslim. We debated pretty much everything, but it was always friendly (and with every drink he kept repeating, "ohhhhhhh, I'm a bad Muslim!")

ROFL!

Yeah, I've had the same experience too. An old buddy of mine is Muslim, very easygoing, friendly, funny guy. Refuses to hug or touch me at all which is kinda funny, but hey, I respect that.  :D My former students were all Muslim, too -- they live in Saudi Arabia, and they were mostly a very friendly, interesting, funny group of guys. I loved talking with them and I think I learned more from them than they learned from me!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

statichaos

I know that I'm not an atheist, but this seems to have turned into more of a diversity thing, anyway.

I'm an agnostic theist, but consider myself Unitarian Universalist when it comes to denomination.  My wife is Jewish by heritage, was raised as a hardcore fundamentalist Christian, and is now beginning to explore other possibilities after a necessary period of strong atheism.  My best friend is atheist.  Her ex-boyfriend (and father to my goddaughter) is Anglican, though he's now left his church due to a dispute with a priest, and is now searching for something else.  My ex-wife is a Buddhist.  My stepchildren, who are being raised by their father, are ultra-Orthodox Jews.

It's a fun bunch.

Tank

Quote from: statichaos on February 19, 2012, 10:59:39 PM
I know that I'm not an atheist, but this seems to have turned into more of a diversity thing, anyway.

I'm an agnostic theist, but consider myself Unitarian Universalist when it comes to denomination.  My wife is Jewish by heritage, was raised as a hardcore fundamentalist Christian, and is now beginning to explore other possibilities after a necessary period of strong atheism.  My best friend is atheist.  Her ex-boyfriend (and father to my goddaughter) is Anglican, though he's now left his church due to a dispute with a priest, and is now searching for something else.  My ex-wife is a Buddhist.  My stepchildren, who are being raised by their father, are ultra-Orthodox Jews.

It's a fun bunch.
That really is a seriously mixed bag!  :o
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

My wife is Jewish by heritage, was raised as a hardcore fundamentalist Christian

How did that happen?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

statichaos

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 19, 2012, 11:02:56 PM
My wife is Jewish by heritage, was raised as a hardcore fundamentalist Christian

How did that happen?

Her mother was raised secular, then became a Messianic Jew.  My wife's upbringing was like something out of Jesus Camp, only with Passover added to the mix.

Reprobate

Quote from: Willow on February 18, 2012, 10:17:49 PM
I am the only one to have a religious friend?  My close local mummy friend is a church going, tithing Christian and I love her very much.  She is supportive and we both look after each other's children every now and then.  She knows I'm an atheist and has never tried to convince me otherwise or invite me to church or the like.
Who else has a trust friendship with someone very religiously different?
Willow.

I have several christian friends, two of whom are pretty close. We share interests other than religion. While, I've never mentioned overtly that I am an atheist to more than one of them, I think that it's fairly obvious.

I told one christian friend that I have made plans to have something delivered to him at the appropriate time. I told him that it'll be a t-shirt that says, "My friend went to Hell, and all I got is this lousy T-shirt."

Ali

It's a fun bunch.

This is a side note, but I love the UU church.  If I were going to get off my butt and seek out a community of people to hang with, I would totally go to a UU church.  I've never met a Unitarian Universalist that didn't rock my socks off, and from what I understand it is A-OK to be a UU and an atheist at the same time.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on February 21, 2012, 12:20:41 AM
This is a side note, but I love the UU church.  If I were going to get off my butt and seek out a community of people to hang with, I would totally go to a UU church.  I've never met a Unitarian Universalist that didn't rock my socks off, and from what I understand it is A-OK to be a UU and an atheist at the same time.

When I was first reading up about UUs I found that the composition of parishoners varies so widely that some UU churches are largely or entirely atheist/agnostic (basically freethinker churches), some were Xtian/Jewish (the traditional mix) and some were humanist/Buddhist.  The one in my city seems an even mix of Xtian, Buddhist and Pagan.  "Blessed be" and "Namaste" get used a lot in the sermons and prayers.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

statichaos

I like "Amen", but I have an appreciation for some of the more traditional trappings, if not the traditional beliefs that spawned them.

Asmodean

Quote from: Willow on February 18, 2012, 10:17:49 PM
I am the only one to have a religious friend?
I think one of my friends may be religious, but we have this unspoken understanding - as long as he keeps it to himself, I don't mock the shit out of him for it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Truthseeker

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 04:01:38 PM
The other thing I am very proud of is the way my kids have grown up to be totally accepting of people irrespective of their race, sexual orientation and creed.

Hmmmmm. Funny how many atheists or those following a philosophy counter to Christianity have more of a propensity to follow this line than most of those who seem to preach it the most:  Christians themselves.

I tip my hat to you Tank for a job well done.
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Tank

Quote from: Truthseeker on February 26, 2012, 11:18:09 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 04:01:38 PM
The other thing I am very proud of is the way my kids have grown up to be totally accepting of people irrespective of their race, sexual orientation and creed.

Hmmmmm. Funny how many atheists or those following a philosophy counter to Christianity have more of a propensity to follow this line than most of those who seem to preach it the most:  Christians themselves.

I tip my hat to you Tank for a job well done.
Thank you. I think my wife had something to do with it as well  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.