News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Just a Question

Started by Egor, February 13, 2012, 08:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Hey Egor, if you put any of this juicy stuff in your book, do we get a mention?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Reprobate

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 15, 2012, 09:18:28 PM

Reprobate: Egor is referring to The Big Bang, and the expansion of the universe. Everything flying apart very quickly, away from everything else, to create a lot more 'nothingness'.

In that case, I guess it's just irrelevant. Space is not nothing.

Dobermonster

Quote from: Reprobate on February 15, 2012, 10:34:25 PM

Reprobate: Egor is referring to The Big Bang, and the expansion of the universe. Everything flying apart very quickly, away from everything else, to create a lot more 'nothingness'.

Pretty much . . . I think there's a lot of fear in knowing this planet will end, all the stars will end, and the universe will collapse on itself (is that still the major theory?). Of course, before that, our sun will explode and the Andromeda will crash into the Milky Way. And that's even if humanity makes it through the next few billion years. Bigness, nothingness, endness . . . awe- and sometimes fear-inspiring concepts

Tank

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 15, 2012, 10:49:09 PM
Quote from: Reprobate on February 15, 2012, 10:34:25 PM

Pretty much . . . I think there's a lot of fear in knowing this planet will end, all the stars will end, and the universe will collapse on itself (is that still the major theory?). Of course, before that, our sun will explode and the Andromeda will crash into the Milky Way. And that's even if humanity makes it through the next few billion years. Bigness, nothingness, endness . . . awe- and sometimes fear-inspiring concepts

Current observation is that the universe is expanding and that expansion is accelerating and that we have past the point of no return. So the universe will end as the last stars fizzle out in glorious isolation, Black holes will evaporate in Hawking radiation while brown dwarf stars will freeze surrounded by ever dispersing interstellar gas and dust.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

I came across this while reading Chet Raymo's Natural Prayers, and it seems to fit here:  The world, after all, is both beautiful and terrible, creative and destructive, ordered and chaotic.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Egor

Quote from: Too Few Lions on February 15, 2012, 06:27:02 PM
Quote from: Egor on February 15, 2012, 06:02:22 PM
QuoteThe question I am dying to ask is how many 'Veridicans' are there in the world? I get the feeling the answer is probably 'one'...
Well, let me ask you this, how many Christians and Muslims are there in the world?

Now, the question I'm dying to ask is this: Do you think they're right?
In the UK, we call that a politician's answer! I'll take it that the answer probably is in the singular

I'll be glad to answer your question if you'll answer mine. Fair is fair.
This user has been banned so please do not expect any responses from him.

Egor

Quote from: Whitney on February 15, 2012, 06:40:14 PM
Quote from: Egor on February 15, 2012, 06:19:49 PM
If parts go missing to allow gravitational effects to unbalance, then those missing parts have to be explained.

Nothing went missing...you are just taking the illustration of the explanation too literally.   

I hope you aren't actually imagining everything was no a grid either....

Sounds to me like you're trying to back off recommending I watch that video.

Egor

Quote from: Crow on February 15, 2012, 06:43:28 PM
Egor you are fucking mental.

-I know that breaks the civility rules but it just has to be said.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. I think everyone would agree that following rules of civility is something only expected of theists, not atheists. Not in here. Notice, no one has said a word to you! Can you imagine what would happen if I said that to you?

Egor

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 15, 2012, 07:41:40 PM
This discussion is pointless due to two points:

Primus: Our friend Egor's inability to realize that the metaphore of the ball bearings was a metaphore, not a reenactment and his blanket dismissal of all other arguments.

Secundum: Egors prozeletizing of his DIY christian sect.

Egor, if you have special knowledge of the physics of the Big Bang that contradicts modern physics in everything from quantum mechanics, to cosmology, to ballistics please present your evidence. No more blanket statements.
If you are able to convince even one of us, I will nominate you for a Nobel Prize in physics.

And congratulation on your DIY religion. What title have you taken for yourself? I mean, can't be a religious (cult) leader without a swanky title.

I'm not proselytizing my religion. It's my religion; it's where I'm coming from, so I reference it when I need to. You're the one asking questions about it. As for a title—none. I'm the founder, that's a fact. I wrote the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ—that's a fact. And I intend to write a bunch more books while I'm alive.

Egor

Quote from: Ali on February 15, 2012, 09:02:35 PM
Does any one else thinks it's funny that Egor describes his religion as "The doctrine of those who follow that which is true?"  Forgetting for a moment the debatable "truth" behind religion, it just such an...I don't know....vague and weird way to describe it.  Doesn't every religion believe that it is "the doctrine of those who follow that which is true?" 

Veridicanism as a word is just a term. It really doesn't mean that much. The two tenets are what matters. And people who believe those tenets are the followers of truth; it matters not one bit whether they use the term Veridican or not.

Egor

Quote from: Tank on February 15, 2012, 10:30:00 PM
Please note that Egor (aka Edward the Theist) has a stated aim to Troll atheist forums and provoke atheists into abusing him, which he considers a victory, as we don't play those sort of manipulation games here Egor has not achieved his aim of being banned.

I'm sorry, Tank, when exactly did I state that aim? Just point it out, that's all I ask. You think I want to be abused? I don't. I come here to have intelligent, thought-provoking discussions. You and your ilk do all the insulting and trolling--and you as the moderator do nothing to stop it. You just blame me for it. Like now; you're lying about me. I didn't try to get you to do that. You just did it. You can ban me any time, but you can't get me to back down, and that bothers you. I know you've gotten other theists to back down, because I don't see any others posting in here. And yes, if you abuse me, it is a victory as it would be your victory if I had to resort to that kind of behavior. And yes, that does make it a kind of power I have over you, because you can't help it, but I can, and you can't knock me down with it.

QuoteIt should also be considered that responding to Egor's posts is more about demonstrating how flawed his arguments are than 'winning' any debate. As Egor considers himself not only the rule maker but the referee as well he can never lose in his own mind. But other people read this forum as lurkers so if you are going to debate him do not be distracted by his deliberately patronising and abrasive attitude or mind numbing fuckwittery.

You break your own rules. What is "fuckwittery" anyway? You break the very rules you are supposed to enforce. Did I make you do that? Maybe I did. This group is called "Happy Atheist." You don't seem very happy to me. You seem small and desperate. In a sparring match in Taekwondo, it's common for someone who is losing the match to begin to hit harder to try to make up for it. It's a loss of control. It's desperation. It happens to me sometimes. Apparently it happens to you, too.

Tank

Quote from: Egor on February 17, 2012, 08:03:45 AM
Quote from: Tank on February 15, 2012, 10:30:00 PM
Please note that Egor (aka Edward the Theist) has a stated aim to Troll atheist forums and provoke atheists into abusing him, which he considers a victory, as we don't play those sort of manipulation games here Egor has not achieved his aim of being banned.

I'm sorry, Tank, when exactly did I state that aim? Just point it out, that's all I ask. You think I want to be abused? I don't. I come here to have intelligent, thought-provoking discussions. You and your ilk do all the insulting and trolling--and you as the moderator do nothing to stop it. You just blame me for it. Like now; you're lying about me. I didn't try to get you to do that. You just did it. You can ban me any time, but you can't get me to back down, and that bothers you. I know you've gotten other theists to back down, because I don't see any others posting in here. And yes, if you abuse me, it is a victory as it would be your victory if I had to resort to that kind of behavior. And yes, that does make it a kind of power I have over you, because you can't help it, but I can, and you can't knock me down with it.

QuoteIt should also be considered that responding to Egor's posts is more about demonstrating how flawed his arguments are than 'winning' any debate. As Egor considers himself not only the rule maker but the referee as well he can never lose in his own mind. But other people read this forum as lurkers so if you are going to debate him do not be distracted by his deliberately patronising and abrasive attitude or mind numbing fuckwittery.

You break your own rules. What is "fuckwittery" anyway? You break the very rules you are supposed to enforce. Did I make you do that? Maybe I did. This group is called "Happy Atheist." You don't seem very happy to me. You seem small and desperate. In a sparring match in Taekwondo, it's common for someone who is losing the match to begin to hit harder to try to make up for it. It's a loss of control. It's desperation. It happens to me sometimes. Apparently it happens to you, too.
Your MO is well know on atheist forums. Don't play the bleeding heart card Edward, it doesn't suit you.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Egor on February 17, 2012, 07:37:36 AM
Quote from: Too Few Lions on February 15, 2012, 06:27:02 PM
Quote from: Egor on February 15, 2012, 06:02:22 PM
QuoteThe question I am dying to ask is how many 'Veridicans' are there in the world? I get the feeling the answer is probably 'one'...
Well, let me ask you this, how many Christians and Muslims are there in the world?

Now, the question I'm dying to ask is this: Do you think they're right?
In the UK, we call that a politician's answer! I'll take it that the answer probably is in the singular
I'll be glad to answer your question if you'll answer mine. Fair is fair.
You don't seem to understand how 'question and answer' works Egor, you answer a question with an answer, not another question. Answering a question with another question is pointless, it's like me answering your question with 'How many freemasons are there in the world?', it's not an answer. I did ask my question first, but as you don't appear to want to answer it, I'll answer yours first, then hopefully you'll answer mine.

I don't know how many Christians and Muslims there are in the world, but as the founder of Veridicanism, you ought to know roughly how many Veridicans there are!

I would guess at more than a billion of each. Looking on the internet, Wikipedia states there are around 2 billion Christians and around 1.5 billion Muslims, but I suspect the trues figures won't be that high, as they seem to be including a lot of non-religious people as Christians if their numbers for the UK are anything to go by. And I think they're all wrong, but to be fair, given the stark difference in beliefs, at least half of them have to be wrong!

So....I've answered your question, your turn to answer my question, with a simple answer not another pointless question. How many Veridicans are there in the world?

Whitney

Quote from: Egor on February 17, 2012, 07:38:58 AM
Quote from: Whitney on February 15, 2012, 06:40:14 PM
Quote from: Egor on February 15, 2012, 06:19:49 PM
If parts go missing to allow gravitational effects to unbalance, then those missing parts have to be explained.

Nothing went missing...you are just taking the illustration of the explanation too literally.   

I hope you aren't actually imagining everything was no a grid either....

Sounds to me like you're trying to back off recommending I watch that video.

No...I just didn't realize how badly you'd fail at grasping it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2012, 08:07:44 AM
Quote from: Egor on February 17, 2012, 08:03:45 AM
I'm sorry, Tank, when exactly did I state that aim?

Your MO is well know on atheist forums. Don't play the bleeding heart card Edward, it doesn't suit you.

It's also all over Ed's blog, which I believe he invited us to read so I don't get the innocent act now.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany