News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Obama addresses birth control and catholic church

Started by Sweetdeath, February 10, 2012, 05:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/10/10371870-obama-to-address-contraceptive-policy

QuoteAccording to The Associated
Press, women will still get
guaranteed access to birth
control without co-pays or
premiums no matter where they
work, a provision of Obama's
health care law that he insisted
must remain.
But religious universities and
hospitals that see contraception
as an unconscionable violation
of their faith can refuse to cover
it, and insurance companies will
then have to step in to do ...

Fucking Catholics..
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Harmonie

So that got resolved?

I had a friend on Facebook flipping out about this - Posting articles left and right, posting pictures about how Obama is so against freedom of religion, and even quoting the first amendment.

It's funny, because I seriously doubt that same friend could care any less when laws come into place that are violating the Establishment clause.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Sweetdeath

Welp, at least he is making birth control accessible for ALL who need it.
Fuck the catholics and their idiotic policies against b.c.

No one should ever tell a woman she cant protect herself during sexual intercourse.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

I don't know how Catholic EDIT hospitals are funded.  I will have to do some research.  If they are even partially funded by tax payer money, I would think it would be a violation of the first amendment for them to be able to refuse to give women birth control on religious grounds.  I like to assume that any publically funded organization has to follow the same laws as everyone else regardless of religious preference.  If they are privately funded then I don't really care what they do, but I do hope that women in those areas have access to other medical institutions that don't practice a form of "religious" medicine.  

Sweetdeath

Yeah,please get back to me on that, Ali. Unfortunately the pope and vatican has a lot of power and influence. Argh... Catholic churches have been in top power for too long.

hismikeness

I may be wrong but I don't think this is so much about the hospitals refusing women birth control, as in patients, but it's about the inclusion of contraception in the employee's benefits plan. My understanding is if they accept federal funding, they are a catholic institution by name only. Only if the religious institution serves and employs only those of the *named* religion and accepts no federal money can they claim religious rights.

At least that's what I think is right. If someone knows better I will gladly eat crow.

On a side note, I wonder if now that the conraception issue is settled if the GOP who fought so hard for it will join the catholic's opposition to the death penalty? Hmmm, probably not.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Dobermonster

If they are federally funded, then they must be held to the same criteria as secular institutions. No two ways about it, IMO. However, I understand Obama's position . . . sometimes we must concede and then approach the issue in a different way, but to the same outcome. I don't understand how this is a violation of freedom of religion - no one is forcing the women that work at these places to take up the offer.

fester30

Yes, Catholic hospitals and universities do receive federal funding.  Thing is, of course Fox News has found a way to argue against the compromise, saying that insurance companies won't give something for free, so they'll simply raise prices on the Catholic employers or increase copays on those getting birth control, therefore the chance that some people completely against birth control by principle will have to end up paying for it.  The Catholic Church is against all birth control because that is preventing God's will.  They especially don't like the pill because it's an abortificant, meaning that if the egg does get fertilized, the pill causes it to not stick to the uterus, and basically get aborted.  

On the O'Reilly Factor tonight, a FEMALE Episcopalian minister used facts and intelligence to pwn Laura Ingraham on this issue.  I thought it was great.  I was rooting for the preacher in that one.

What amazes me is that even the women in the conservative movement are so anti-woman.  I deal with that at work sometimes, because women are such a minority in the US military.  I have to remind guys at work that a woman can lift just as much weight as they can when we're moving around heavy items: 6,000 lbs, because they can drive the same forklifts.  Also, the women are invaluable in our shops because they often add a different perspective on things that help us to solve problems that we would take longer solving without them.

EDIT: Two forms of federal funding to Catholic hospitals and universities... Medicare and Pell grants, respectively.  There are many other forms of Federal funding for such institutions in the forms of grants for research and equipment.  If you do a web search of federal funding and Catholic hospitals and institutions, you can find a lot of current articles talking about the current situation with birth control and other issues regarding the idea that these institutions could respond by refusing Federal funding.  I would imagine to refuse this funding may cause these institutions many hardships.

Sweetdeath

Why would birth control be against god's will?
Because sex isn't suppose to feel good. In that case, I guess foreplay and oral sex is against god too. I'll  do it lots more then.  :D

Firebird

Quote from: hismikeness on February 10, 2012, 11:46:32 PM
I may be wrong but I don't think this is so much about the hospitals refusing women birth control, as in patients, but it's about the inclusion of contraception in the employee's benefits plan. My understanding is if they accept federal funding, they are a catholic institution by name only. Only if the religious institution serves and employs only those of the *named* religion and accepts no federal money can they claim religious rights.

At least that's what I think is right. If someone knows better I will gladly eat crow.

On a side note, I wonder if now that the conraception issue is settled if the GOP who fought so hard for it will join the catholic's opposition to the death penalty? Hmmm, probably not.

Yes, this was about all private health insurance plans covering contraceptives without a co-pay, and the employees who work for hospitals and other organizations affiliated with the Catholic church, like hospitals or charities. All the compromise does is shift the cost of offering said contraceptives from the employer to the insurance company. It is a bit of a cop-out, but if it truly does continue to cover all women, then so be it.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dobermonster

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 11, 2012, 03:02:10 AM
Because sex isn't suppose to feel good. In that case, I guess foreplay and oral sex is against god too. I'll  do it lots more then.  :D

I think it all stems from the verse that says, "Be fruitful and multiply". God says to procreate, so to do anything to prevent that is wicked. Which you would think would also extend to abstinence. I mean really, if we're going to take that as literally as possible, we should all be shagging 24/7. Probably get a lot more converts, too.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 11, 2012, 04:39:45 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 11, 2012, 03:02:10 AM

I think it all stems from the verse that says, "Be fruitful and multiply". God says to procreate, so to do anything to prevent that is wicked. Which you would think would also extend to abstinence. I mean really, if we're going to take that as literally as possible, we should all be shagging 24/7. Probably get a lot more converts, too.

I don't know if the christian god is an idiot or the people who follow these insane rules, which are extremely outdated. :(

Stevil

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 11, 2012, 04:39:45 AM
The Catholics are under the impression that contraceptives cause unwanted pregnancy which leads to abortion which is a form of murder.

No contraceptive is 100% fool proof. So indeed people having recreational sex using contraceptives run the risk of unwanted pregnancy. Given the numbers of people on the planet this means that using contraceptives it is a given that there will be unwanted pregnancies.

The Catholic Church is only for abstinence unless a person is trying to have a baby.

However they are in denial that it is human nature (and non human animal nature) to have sex. They are in denial that sex education and contraceptives actually work to reduce the amount of unwanted pregnancies.

OldGit

Surely the Catholics can see that sex with little boys is wrong because it cannot lead to conception.  It doesn't seem to stop them, though.

Guardian85

Catholics are fucked up when it comes to fucking. That simple. 8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-