News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

French Court Says Scientology Is A Scam, Not A Religion

Started by Tank, February 04, 2012, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

French Court Says Scientology Is A Scam, Not A Religion

QuoteA French court has slapped a fraud sentence on the Church of Scientology, saying it targets vulnerable people for commercial gain. The ruling is a major setback for Scientologists in France, and it marks the first time here that the Church of Scientology has been convicted of organized fraud.

The development puts its famous recruitment methods under a spotlight.

Scientologists vehemently reject the conviction, saying that they are the victims of anti-cult organizations trying to destroy them. "Respect my religion," chanted several dozen Scientologists, braving sub-zero temperatures in the front of a courthouse in Paris...

Excellent news!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

We knew it was bulls¤¤t, and now we have the paperwork to prove it!  :D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 04, 2012, 01:58:42 PM
We knew it was bulls¤¤t, and now we have the paperwork to prove it!  :D
Yes. And with a bit of luck this will start a domino effect in other countries.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

The Asmo, he wants to send Ze French his favourite seal:

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

The Scientologists have a point. Why single them out, when a great many religious groups are guilty of the same behavior (targeting vulnerable people for commercial gain)? The bogus personality tests which show that the mark is in need of help (conveniently available through Scientology) are merely an update of the Christian "born in sin, in need of redemption through Christ Jesus; all are sinners in need of the church's help to get right with God" scam.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sweetdeath

So cute, Asmo!!
As much as I cant stand scienctology, why should it be the only bogus cult called out? Last time I checked, christianity and islam has done more damaged to millions of innocents....
I just wish all religions would go away.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

I'm kind of with Recusant on this one.  I'll admit that I don't know a ton about Scientology other than the crazy stuff you hear about alien spirits and galactic battles, but I don't really understand what makes Scientology any more of a scam than any other religion.

Tank

Ali

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on February 04, 2012, 03:26:19 PM
I'm kind of with Recusant on this one.  I'll admit that I don't know a ton about Scientology other than the crazy stuff you hear about alien spirits and galactic battles, but I don't really understand what makes Scientology any more of a scam than any other religion.

How about the fact that the "space religion" was started by a failed science fiction author?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 04, 2012, 04:06:19 PM

How about the fact that the "space religion" was started by a failed science fiction author?

Yeah, that's weird.  But really, does that make it any less respectable than a religion founded unknown peoples belonging to primitive tribe during the Bronze Age?  It's all stupid.  Why is Scientology any more stupid?

Sweetdeath

I find it hard to believe Scientology is a scam but not Catholic belief. >__>;;;
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Guardian85

It is funny because Scientology is the one religion that is so messed up, even mainstream religions think they are silly.

-Unknown Smartass-

Anne D.

Maybe the French government had an easier time going after Scientology b/c (based on the info in the article) Scientology is actually selling various products (tests, vitamins, treatments) that they claim will have X effect. It's got to be fairly easy for the government to prove that the products don't work as the CoScientology said they would.

W/ most other religions, the church is not purporting to offer a tangible benefit for the money believers give.

Stevil