News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

French Court Says Scientology Is A Scam, Not A Religion

Started by Tank, February 04, 2012, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Quote from: Tank on February 06, 2012, 05:03:56 PM
There is one thing to be said about not taxing religious organisations. If they were they could reasonably demand representation in the governing process. What was it "No taxation without reprisentation." one cornerstone of America I would think?

They already have representation in the governing process. Look how many politicians in the US wear their religion on their sleeve. Taxing them would not change anything.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on February 06, 2012, 06:11:34 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 06, 2012, 05:03:56 PM
There is one thing to be said about not taxing religious organisations. If they were they could reasonably demand representation in the governing process. What was it "No taxation without reprisentation." one cornerstone of America I would think?

They already have representation in the governing process. Look how many politicians in the US wear their religion on their sleeve. Taxing them would not change anything.
That is true. However politicians in the US are mostly overt Christians because it's politically expedient to be so. It is currently illegle for a church to support a candidate to represent it's interests is it not? Could/would this situation change if they were taxed?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Whitney on February 05, 2012, 08:35:12 PM
Quote from: Stevil on February 05, 2012, 07:15:01 PM
Does anyone know if churches/religious outfits have any accountability with regards to what they do with tithings?
Even in places where tithing is tax free?

In the US there is absolutely no accountability for what they do with their income...they don't even have to file like a real 501c3 nonprofit.

Basically the only thing they can't do is use money in a way that can be traced to supporting a politician, legislation, or political party.  Yet they get away with that too even when it is obvious.

If they employ people they do have to report such payments to the IRS and withhold money for income tax, like other employers. But Whitney is correct - they don't have to pay taxes on their income.  They could lose their exempt status if they get too involved in politics, but this is probably rare.

philosoraptor

This isn't the first time France has gone after a "religion" or elements of it-it wasn't so long ago that there was an uproar over the banning of head coverings, especially hijabs, burqas, and other traditionally Muslim garb.  I was kind of on the fence with that one, because it's debatable whether or not those things are explicitly required by the Qu'ran or just a construct of societies that have traditionally treated women as chattel.  Islam, though I don't agree with it, is at least a real religion, and I do think it's important to protect religious freedom for everyone.  Scientology, as already pointed out, is as much a work of fiction as the Cthulhu Mythos are.  Treating it like a religion when the founder even said it was bullshit is just stupid.  So bully to the French, I guess.  I think I need to live there, with their secularism and socialized medicine and excellent food. :-P
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Sweetdeath

I love cafes and coffee, so I think i'll get along just fine in France. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 06, 2012, 08:05:43 PM
What is your opinion of body odour?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: Tank on February 06, 2012, 08:11:19 PM

Oi. I resemble that comment...!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

philosoraptor

In fairness to France, it seemed like nobody bathed all that often when I stayed in Germany.  Although the Germans did make fun of the Americans for showering daily because they said it was a waste of water.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on February 06, 2012, 08:11:19 PM

As long as its not within closed proximities.

Also, I know a few french people. A gorgeous blonde guy and girl who always smell nice.
I've faired my share of disusting fat, smelly americas every  season. :(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Firebird

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 06, 2012, 06:32:53 PM
Quote from: Whitney on February 05, 2012, 08:35:12 PM
Quote from: Stevil on February 05, 2012, 07:15:01 PM
Does anyone know if churches/religious outfits have any accountability with regards to what they do with tithings?
Even in places where tithing is tax free?

In the US there is absolutely no accountability for what they do with their income...they don't even have to file like a real 501c3 nonprofit.

Basically the only thing they can't do is use money in a way that can be traced to supporting a politician, legislation, or political party.  Yet they get away with that too even when it is obvious.

If they employ people they do have to report such payments to the IRS and withhold money for income tax, like other employers. But Whitney is correct - they don't have to pay taxes on their income.  They could lose their exempt status if they get too involved in politics, but this is probably rare.

Yeah, unfortunately it's true that that's rare. There've been a few cases of priests telling their flock who to vote for directly from the podium, but the IRS has not gone after them, at least not yet. Probably too scared
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

statichaos

I strongly dislike Scientology.  However, I'm even more leery of any government having a say in what does or does not constitute a 'real" religion.

Ivan Tudor C McHock

Clearly the headline of the article was designed by a theist to give the impression that religions and scams are mutually exclusive.
Faith = 1/I.Q.

statichaos

Quote from: Ivan Tudor C McHock on February 25, 2012, 02:00:12 AM
Clearly the headline of the article was designed by a theist to give the impression that religions and scams are mutually exclusive.

Not necessarily.  However (and I admit to some bias), I don't see how it's up to a government to decide which religion is real, if any.

Ivan Tudor C McHock

Governments justifiably get involved with businesses which commit false advertising. Why should religion be exempt?
Faith = 1/I.Q.

statichaos

Quote from: Ivan Tudor C McHock on February 25, 2012, 02:26:24 AM
Governments justifiably get involved with businesses which commit false advertising. Why should religion be exempt?

History says that when religion and government get intertwined, neither escapes without harm.