News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

End of Days - Snow Storm Blowing In

Started by Ali, February 03, 2012, 02:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Here in Denver we're expecting up to a foot of snow tonight.  Which means, of course, that everyone had two places to go today.  The grocery store, and the liquor store.  I went to the grocery store tonight (like everyone else) and it was literally like they had announced a nationwide famine - people pushing past each other to get to the last of the produce and frozen pizzas.  I heard quote one time that was something along the lines of "Man is 24 hours away from eating each other."  Something like that.  In Denver, we don't have to experience the full 24 hours of deprivation, we just hear that snow is coming and all turn into food hoarders.  I say that with no judgement - I bought a 3 lb bag of oranges while I was there.  So, you know, my family won't develop scurvy or anything during the snow storm. 

Is it like that everywhere, or is that a uniquely American phenomenon?

Harmonie

I would think it's more of an uniquely American South thing.

Around here a foot of snow shuts down everything.

However, this year we haven't even had a winter. The fact that you're getting a storm makes me very jealous. I have been deprived of winter. I can't take it anymore! (Winter to me is what Spring is to most. Winter makes me happy.)

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Whitney

If you just mention snow in Oklahoma people start driving like nutcases and the meat section of the grocery store empties out (oklahomans apparently don't care for veggies).

I'm sure texans are even worse but I usually have enough in our pantry and freezer that we could eat from it for a week or two if we had to...though I have been working on actually using that stuff recently.  Anyway, I've steered clear of texas roads during winter storms.  Though we didn't have a winter this year unless it decides to show itself this month....I wore a tank top outside today and was quite comfortable.  Last year we had at least one shut down the offices ice storm.

Harmonie

Quote from: Whitney on February 03, 2012, 03:48:08 AM
If you just mention snow in Oklahoma people start driving like nutcases and the meat section of the grocery store empties out (oklahomans apparently don't care for veggies).

Lol. You should have seen it last winter. It was February and we had just had two big storms come out of the middle of nowhere, and an third one was imminent. I have never seen people so crazy at stores. Stores had very little stock... It was actually kind of creepy in a way. There were also no snow shovels, and we needed one.

In Oklahoma snow shovels are rarely of use. Snow typically melts the day after... Lol. So we were caught by surprise in needing one.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Tank

Quote from: Ali on February 03, 2012, 02:25:58 AM
{snip}

Is it like that everywhere, or is that a uniquely American phenomenon?
My mother in law could start a food shortage single handedly. She owned a paper shop in the Old Kent Road. She once remarked to a nuber of customers that sugar was in short supply. Later that day she went to the shop and there was no sugar. She went to ask if they had any and was told that it had started selling that morning and they'd sold out!  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

People panic for the dumbest reasons in america, I swear. We would never survive the zombie apocolypse.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Looking at a Google search without actually following any links it seems parts of the US have been dry.
The last few years here have been quite wet, flooding again this week, La Niña doing her thing I suppose.

Asmodean

Bah! A foot of snow is what a regular garden variety Asmo has to remove from his parkng lot every second week in winter.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on February 03, 2012, 09:04:48 AM
Bah! A foot of snow is what a regular garden variety Asmo has to remove from his parkng lot every second week in winter.

Have you ever considered hiring one of these?
You wouldn't have to worry about clearing snow any more.
One thing to keep in mind though is if one cold night you slice it open and take refuge in its inner warmth you won't get your deposit back.

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 03, 2012, 11:33:46 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on February 03, 2012, 09:04:48 AM

Have you ever considered hiring one of these?
You wouldn't have to worry about clearing snow any more.
One thing to keep in mind though is if one cold night you slice it open and take refuge in its inner warmth you won't get your deposit back.

Hot coffee. Coming out my nose.  Unpleasant.

Asmodean

Can you imagine an Asmo on topa' one of them smelly things there?  :o
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on February 03, 2012, 02:48:48 PMCan you imagine an Asmo on topa' one of them smelly things there?  :o
Don't need to imagine it, already seen it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ali

Asmodean

The Asmo looks like he smells something, and it's dspleasing.

Must be quite a smell since Asmos, they have no nose.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Quote from: Radiant on February 03, 2012, 03:28:29 AM
I would think it's more of an uniquely American South thing.

Around here a foot of snow shuts down everything.

However, this year we haven't even had a winter. The fact that you're getting a storm makes me very jealous. I have been deprived of winter. I can't take it anymore! (Winter to me is what Spring is to most. Winter makes me happy.)

A foot of snow fell here today. Not even worth a comment in the local news. Snow is a case of FIDO here in norway.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-