News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

End of Days - Snow Storm Blowing In

Started by Ali, February 03, 2012, 02:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Only snowed here once so far. Yaaay~

Aw, you could always jump on my back, Asmo.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

Quote from: AliI say that with no judgement - I bought a 3 lb bag of oranges while I was there.  So, you know, my family won't develop scurvy or anything during the snow storm.
Silly girl. It takes months to get symptoms of scurvy.  

QuoteIs it like that everywhere, or is that a uniquely American phenomenon?
I would imagine it's everywhere. When I lived in Michigan, it happened there when we knew it was going to snow a lot. It happens here in Texas when the ice storms and hurricanes blow in.

24 hours before we eat each other? Nah. Most people keep about 3 days worth of food. That is why, if there were a national or world wide cataclysm, it's been said we're 3 days from anarchy.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Ali

Quote from: Gawen on February 03, 2012, 11:53:17 PM
Quote from: AliI say that with no judgement - I bought a 3 lb bag of oranges while I was there.  So, you know, my family won't develop scurvy or anything during the snow storm.
Silly girl. It takes months to get symptoms of scurvy. 

I know, I was just kind of being self depreciating since I don't know that a family of 3 (one of whom is small) necessarily needs a 3 lb bag of oranges.  I got caught up in the general mood of "must stockpile food, for the end is nigh."  LOL

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ali on February 03, 2012, 11:57:02 PM
I know, I was just kind of being self depreciating since I don't know that a family of 3 (one of whom is small) necessarily needs a 3 lb bag of oranges.  I got caught up in the general mood of "must stockpile food, for the end is nigh."  LOL

But, but, but 3 lb is only about 5/7 oranges isn't it?
I have one daughter that eats 5kg / 11lb a week.

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 04, 2012, 12:34:31 AM
Quote from: Ali on February 03, 2012, 11:57:02 PM

But, but, but 3 lb is only about 5/7 oranges isn't it?
I have one daughter that eats 5kg / 11lb a week.

True, we have 7 at the moment.   I think we can make it through 7 oranges, 6 bananas, and a bag full of grapes (along with other food, we eat more than just fruit) in the next several days if we try.

BullyforBronto

Don't know much about snow since I'm a Florida native. I actually didn't even see snow until I was in my 20s. Though, I suspect that the reactions to blizzard warnings are about the same as hurricane warnings. The whiskey and rum is in short supply when a hurricane threatens our coast. If my roof blows off, I hope I'm good and drunk.

history_geek

Well, the world almost did come to an end last summer when they had some problems with meat, so that we almost ran out of sausages. Just the thought of having nothing to grill in the summer... :o

And you should have seen the snow we had a couple of years ago. Now that was a good amount, about meter and a half at places ( about 5 feet), and the largest piles were three meters or maybe even more. When you get that much, then I'm not surprised people would think that it's going to be a bit hard to get anywhere.... but a feet or two, trust me, you'll live ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Thunder Road

Last winter, we had a storm sneak up on us the day after Christmas.  Really we'd in the weather weenie community had been following it all week, but it shifted from being a little snow to a huge blizzard overnight Christmas eve.  All the grocery stores were closed for Christmas, including the one I worked at.  I was supposed to work the next day 11-4.  At 9:45 they called me, out of breath, and saked how soon I could get there. 

And we only ended up with 8" out of it too.  Pssh.  NYC got 20-30" though.
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

Ali

Still snowing.  Starting to wonder if 3 lbs of oranges will be enough....

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on February 04, 2012, 03:03:52 PM
Still snowing.  Starting to wonder if 3 lbs of oranges will be enough....
Yes. Snowing.  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

It was fun the first day.  I wore jammies all day and we rearranged T's bedroom, and I made some good food, and drank a bunch of wine, and it was like a holiday.  But the novelty is starting to wear off.  Now I want to put on pants with zippers and go outside.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

In Illinois, especially around Chicago, when they say we are getting a huge blizzard coming in most of us used to say no shit what else is new.  You may see schools close down for a day.  No jobs really ever close down.  It's just like every other day up there.  Except, you know, with a lot of snow. Most Northern states are the same as Illinois.  Michigan and Wisconsin are the exact same except ten degrees cooler at all times. 
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins