News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Odd question about the solar system...

Started by Amicale, February 02, 2012, 02:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

OK, I'm sure I'm going to embarass myself by asking this, but hey, an honest question is an honest question, and I don't mind admitting that when it comes to this aspect of science, I'm ignorant. It's a question I've always had, so please stifle your giggles, and if you have an answer, I'd appreciate it. :) (And you probably will giggle, since this is the sort of question a third grader might ask!) But nothing ventured, nothing gained, I suppose...

First, a picture:

OK, so of course the planets orbit around the sun, with the sun in the center. My question, then, is if we were to hypothetically be standing on the sun (assume for a moment we could), what is above the sun if you keep on going up? And what's below the sun, if you keep on going down? Since planets revolve around the sun, I'm assuming that if you went far enough above it, or below it, you'd travel through space until you eventually reached another galaxy. Is that correct? Or, are there just asteroids, etc, or simply empty space?

I never took science in school, at least not past 11th grade biology, so... yeah. I've looked at different space websites, but I haven't found much of anything that answers my question.

Please be merciful to a curious, well meaning but ignorant (on this topic anyhow) woman.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Whitney

Imagine that you had a planet on a string and you rotated around in a circle....the planet would move around you in a perpendicular fashion.  Add more strings of planets and, assuming none hit each other, they would do the same.

Only with the sun that string is gravitational force (and some other forces).

This is also why saturn has bands around it and not just a big blob of gasses circling around every which way.

There is no real "above" or "below" the sun....there is no true up or down unless you are speaking in reference to something else.  But to the point of your question; above and below the sun is empty space until you get away from it's gravitational force.

This explains it in more technical terms:  http://paul-a-heckert.suite101.com/why-do-earth-planets-orbit-sun-a42229

Don't' worry, it wasn't a stupid question...most people probably wouldn't even think to ask.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Whitney on February 02, 2012, 03:59:23 AM
Don't' worry, it wasn't a stupid question...most people probably wouldn't even think to ask.

I certainly wouldn't have.  When I opened the thread and saw the picture my only thought was "ohhh, pretty!"
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Thanks, Whitney!

And BooksCatsEtc, I love that picture too. I especially love real pictures of nebulas, etc.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

xSilverPhinx

You should really study astronomy as an amateur hobby, you don't know what you're missing ;D

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

The Sun is at the centre of sphere commets and space debris called the Oort Cloud. So if you head out from the Sun in any direction you'll find it.

Our local stars look like this out to 15 light years.

So if you go up or down you'll pass a few stars in the local area, but there are many hundreds of thousands of stars between us and the upper and lower sides of the Milky way. These are the stars like the North Star. The solar system is in a volume of space where stars are relativly sparse (good thing too stars are bloody dangerous things.) Eventually you would leave our galaxy and head off to other galaxies. But you'd have to be quick as they are all moving away from us as the universe is expanding and expanding faster all the time.

This is where the Sun is relative the rest of the Milky way.

I hope that helps.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Tank! Thank you very much! That's prettymuch what I was looking for! Very cool!  ;D

pytheas

Quote from: Tank
This is where the Sun is relative the rest of the Milky way.

I hope that helps.

please please master

do show a couple of parsecs zooming out of frame!
where we stand on our petty yet beautifully exuberant aspiration planet, on a planar and above view with respect to Sagittarius A*, you know, the heart of black

then, I guess, play 3D billiard with a neighbourhood of galaxies proximal to us

and then make that a pin, in the oval /egg impression of the (this?) universe

You got us going Tank, you are molotof-proof
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Asmodean

Here, have a 4D cube to ponder.

Don't ask why - I have no idea.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

pytheas

Quote from: Asmodean

Is possible if sides are stretchy elastic. the ball corners will have a hard time maintaining physicality.

Does not trip perceptional logic, so not a "koan" graph. but nice, effective pondering.

I'm also off-topic for my expansion request, yes?

plenty of Why's if one cares to look!
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Asmodean

Quote from: pytheas on February 02, 2012, 07:58:14 PM
Quote from: Asmodean

Is possible if sides are stretchy elastic. the ball corners will have a hard time maintaining physicality.

Does not trip perceptional logic, so not a "koan" graph. but nice, effective pondering.

I'm also off-topic for my expansion request, yes?

plenty of Why's if one cares to look!
Actually, I think the sides are supposed to be of a fixed length. It's an approximation of four dimensions in the same way 3D might be approximated in Flatland.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on February 02, 2012, 07:07:53 PM

Don't ask why - I have no idea.

That's fascinating, Asmo. Thanks! I love stuff like that.

joeactor

Here's one of my fave videos on the topic of where we are in the universe - Eames' "Powers of Ten"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

Ali

Oooh, I loved this thread.  And I agree with Whitney, it's never even crossed my mind to ask what is "below" or "above" the sun.  Thanks for all of the cool info, everyone (and the neat 4 D cube.)

The Magic Pudding

I don't think of the sun having an above or a below, same with the earth.  Most globes have me walking upside down, I very rarely do.