News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Getting to know me

Started by En_Route, January 29, 2012, 03:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

I'm a recently-retired academic, of Irish origin, atheist since age 14 (gratitude is due to my catholic school which undoubtedly helped to accelerate the process of enlightenment). I have never experienced any professional or social disadvantages as a result of being open about my heathenism. I generally enjoy the company of atheists more than that  of a religious stripe; which is why I am here. Whether this  or any further posts will assist in "getting to know me"  I very much doubt, since I wouldn't claim to know "me" and I am indeed gravely sceptical as to whether a "me" exists.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

Welcome!

Nice to see other atheists not being discriminated against... Usually, the stories of the older guard are of a less nicely-accepting nature.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

Ali

Hi and welcome!  Two questions.  First, what did you teach (and/or study?)  Second, elaborate on not being sure that there is a "you."  Sounds interesting.   :)  I hope you like it here.

En_Route

taught (and studied, and practised) law mostly on the commercial side.
I think that our sense of "self" as something which is a unified whole and which is permanent and identifiable (at least while we live) is misguided; a stream of consciousness would be nearer  the mark in  book. There is nothing novel in this- it goes back to Hume and arguably further back to Buddha (I hasten to add that while I think Buddhism offers valuable insights, that is from a wholly secular standpoint). I think this philosophical position gains support from contemporary neuroscience.
Disclaimer- All references to "I" and "My" should be read in this light!

Ali

Very interesting.  I still had no idea what you meant (LOL - no offense to your explanation - when it comes to matters of philosophy I'm typically as dense as a stack of phonebooks) so I went and read up a little on Hume's theory of self.  It's interesting but I'll have to mull it over a lot more before I decide whether or not I agree with it.  Anyway, thanks for explaining, and welcome again!

Amicale

Welcome to the forums!

I hope you meet up with people here who you come to enjoy. I know I have. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

McQ

Quote from: En_Route on January 29, 2012, 04:02:19 PM
taught (and studied, and practised) law mostly on the commercial side.
I think that our sense of "self" as something which is a unified whole and which is permanent and identifiable (at least while we live) is misguided; a stream of consciousness would be nearer  the mark in  book. There is nothing novel in this- it goes back to Hume and arguably further back to Buddha (I hasten to add that while I think Buddhism offers valuable insights, that is from a wholly secular standpoint). I think this philosophical position gains support from contemporary neuroscience.
Disclaimer- All references to "I" and "My" should be read in this light!

Welcome to the forum. Your brief explanation of "self" is very instructive and nicely put. Thanks! Hope you're enjoying your retirement. Do you have a hobby or interests to keep you sane?  ;)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

En_Route

I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to work part-time which helps put food on the table and staves off the spectre of total mental disintegration. I do have a tendency to melancholia so staying occupied and engaged is pretty indispensable to my state of wellbeing.  But I'm really welcoming the freedom to meet friends more frequently and to pursue other non-work related interests. Hence my popping up here.

Tank

Hi En_route

I assume your user name also fits into your description of a stream of consciousness existence? Do you live in Ireland?

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Hi Chris
Yes vis a vis the monicker; destination unspecified.
I live on the physical part of the island of Ireland which is politically part of the UK. With the abatement of the civil strife here, and the freedom of movement established  courtesy of the European Union, the border seems increasingly notional.
Thanks to everyone else who was kind enough to extend a welcome.

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on January 29, 2012, 07:58:16 PM
Hi Chris
Yes vis a vis the monicker; destination unspecified.
I live on the physical part of the island of Ireland which is politically part of the UK. With the abatement of the civil strife here, and the freedom of movement established  courtesy of the European Union, the border seems increasingly notional.
Thanks to everyone else who was kind enough to extend a welcome.
I think you are going to add a wonderful flavour here. Yourself and The Magic Pudding are going to be bloody fun to watch!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Too Few Lions

welcome to the forum. I hope you're enjoying (semi) retirement, I'm envious!  ;)

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2012, 08:27:45 PM
Yourself and The Magic Pudding are going to be bloody fun to watch!

I'm not sure why you'd think this.
Where do other people wear their atheist stripes, Asmo's under eye ones aren't very appealing.
I think I'll go for two or three horizontal warrior style stripes on each cheek.

Anyway welcome En_Route, I hope we provide worthwhile diversion.