News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Door Preachers

Started by Whitney, January 20, 2012, 04:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Had my first door preachers since in forever (last I remember were when I was a child; any since then have been in public)...

I was unexpectedly nervous (or maybe annoyed too...it's 10:30am and I work from home); either way it made me shaky (my hands literally shake if I am nervous, mad or both); I think I might be subconsciously still concerned about religious people knowing where I live (yet, no problems opening up my house to strangers for meetup groups or discussing in public settings)...nonetheless, I was frank and honest, told them I was an atheist and had already researched the claims myself so I wasn't interested.  Didn't catch what church they said they go to and didn't care to have them repeat themselves...it was a young woman and another woman who wasn't talking I'm guessing one or both of themwere in training (think I might have seen some men on the sidewalk when I looked out the window) but I don't think it was mormon.

I'm sure they are thinking look at that deadbeat atheist who hasn't even done her hair and makeup today...

How do you handle preachers at your home's door and how does it make you feel?

Ali

I try to be pleasant but short.  I don't really feel the need to get into why I'm not interested in being imposed upon; I find that a warm smile and a simple "No thank you" as I close the door is sufficient.

The one time that I did feel the need to exert myself a little more strenuously was when one of the door to door preachers actually lied to me.  His ploy was "Your husband asked that we come back at a more convenient time so we could talk.  Can we come in?"  The reason why I know that this is a lie is because I know my husband.  That is the very last thing he would do - he doesn't even feel a compulsion to be polite to these people, and he's also not the type to try to engage them in a debate.  He'd be more likely to roll his eyes and slam the door than engage with them.  So I clarified "Are you sure it was this house?  My husband?"  "Yes, abosolutely."  "Well, that's nothing short of Solstice miracle given the fact that we're both atheists and have zero interest in religion."  "Maybe your husband is ready for the good news."  "I doubt it." 

I later confirmed with him that he had not spoken to any door preachers, and he certainly wouldn't have invited them back if he had.

The whole thing reminded me of the famous bible scam that people used to pull - "Ma'am your husband bought this beautiful bible for you.  Now pay up!"

Davin

My mother used to call a local church to send some people over, but that ended after about three times. I haven't had one for a very long time (about seven years). Though I have had religious door hangers. The last few times I had some religious knockers, I talked to them for as long as they wanted to talk to me, most of the ones I talk to appear to be very nice people. Unless I was busy, then I'd tell them I was busy and didn't have time to talk.

I can't answer to how it made me feel, I don't have much in the way of feeling things.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

There were a couple of Mormons once who came by (through the insistence of a friend of my brother's). I couldn't really be bothered with them, I know I probably would have to stifle a laugh.

It was my born again mother who stood up, left the room and got her copy of the bible to debate them. ::)

My sister was staying at a Catholic hospital just now and mentioned that they sent a preacher to her room to pray with or for her. She said that she mentioned she was an atheist and that it wasn't necessary. I'm so proud of her ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Quote from: Davin on January 20, 2012, 04:54:35 PM
My mother used to call a local church to send some people over...
Wow!

Davin

Quote from: Stevil on January 20, 2012, 06:32:10 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 20, 2012, 04:54:35 PM
My mother used to call a local church to send some people over...
Wow!
After she found out I was an atheist (I didn't hide it, but didn't feel like "coming out" to anyone), she tried to "save" me. I didn't mind it very much, I'm not much of a social person, but I don't mind talking to people. If the religious people going door to door acted like most theists act in online forums, I'd probably have an issue or two.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Amicale

Nobody here goes door to door in the autumn or winter because it's so cold and icy, only in the spring or summer when the weather's good, if not downright hot. When I see them coming to my door (it's always either LDS or JW's, nobody else), I go over to the door with a couple bottles of cold water (on a hot day they've never said no yet!), I smile, I let them know I've read both the book of Mormon/stuff from the Watchtower society, as well as the Bible, and after having thought through the issues myself, I've come to the conclusion that those beliefs just aren't supportable, to me. I wish them a good day, make sure they don't want another Godless Heathen TM water  :D and send them on their way.

It's a bit sad. They're always so very surprised that I've read their books, pamphlets and literature. I can even produce the copies I own to show them, if requested. It's as though they're trained to believe that if ONLY people would just read their stuff, they'd surely be convinced right on the spot.

Ah well. I try to be friendly. Except for on occasion...

The only time I had to be very direct, and very rude, was when two young men came to my place and after I told them all the above, they asked to come inside. I explained I didn't invite strangers in, but I'd sit on the porch to speak with them a few moments only, since I couldn't leave my daughter alone. One of them actually grabbed the DOOR and tried to step inside after I'd said no, so I took his arm, pushed him back out the door, and closed and locked it in his face.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on January 20, 2012, 08:31:42 PM
The only time I had to be very direct, and very rude, was when two young men came to my place and after I told them all the above, they asked to come inside. I explained I didn't invite strangers in, but I'd sit on the porch to speak with them a few moments only, since I couldn't leave my daughter alone. One of them actually grabbed the DOOR and tried to step inside after I'd said no, so I took his arm, pushed him back out the door, and closed and locked it in his face.

Wow.

What you need is a good big guard dog.

Sweetdeath

My girlfriend's mom actually INVITES the door to door religious nuts in to talk in her kitchen. What a loon!!

I just found out my future father in law is an atheist. I'll need to learn a little mandirin to speak to him though. His english is fine, but thick accent. Haha!!
Btw, he has a Doctric (um sp?? Above PH.D degree) in biology and chemistry. Hm, intelligent and atheist. Not too shabby
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Post-doctorate I think it's called.

Hardly a surprised though, especially since it's in the natural sciences.

Whitney

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2012, 11:48:13 PM
What you need is a good big guard dog.

I was holding my tiny ankle biter guard dog when I answered the door to the evangelists...I always answer the door that way when I don't know who it is (though also sometimes if I do know just because it's easier than having to lock her up).  She may be tiny but if made nervous or scared she will bite; so I think she may offer some protection (assuming that she is loyal to me at all...she may just run off at sign of trouble).

Whitney

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 20, 2012, 11:51:01 PM
My girlfriend's mom actually INVITES the door to door religious nuts in to talk in her kitchen. What a loon!!

I know people who do that...it usually doesn't make their spouses very happy but for some reason they enjoy trying to talk to them.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Whitney on January 21, 2012, 01:21:44 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 20, 2012, 11:51:01 PM

I know people who do that...it usually doesn't make their spouses very happy but for some reason they enjoy trying to talk to them.

My gf's mother is a total nut. We don't get along at all. She curses at me a lot in Madirin. I'm pretty sure she will try to throw holy water at me. (she's christian)

Mimi says she talks to them cuz she enjoys it. Seriously, what?!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Traveler

I've only talked with folks like this twice. I used to leave it to my ex husband, an atheist philosopher who enjoyed debating with people. Once I opened the door when he wasn't home. They said they wanted to ask me three questions. When they got to the fifth or sixth question I began to fear I'd never get rid of them. That's when my borzoi (a large dog, previously called Russian wolfhound) started growling at them. They couldn't get out of there fast enough. LOL I praised her like crazy!!!

The second time happened a few weeks ago. I'm now single, and much more able to stand up for myself, so didn't feel afraid of the JWs like I used to. We talked awhile. I said I was a secular humanist, and had to explain what that was. Whenever they tried to steer the conversation to the end days or their Watchtower literature I changed the subject and told them I didn't believe. They finally left, and asked if they could return that saturday. I said ok. They never did return. My theory is that they reported back to their superior. When he found out they'd met a nice, friendly, decent atheist, they went into emergency mode and got them into deprogramming as quickly as possible. LOL
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

BullyforBronto

About a year ago, my wife and I were at a friends' house when some Mormons knocked on their door. My buddy answered their knock, and five minutes into the "conversation" he seemed to be stuck. To help him out, I went to the door, put my arm around him, rubbed his back and asked the door preachers what their thoughts were on gay marriage. I actually felt sorry for the dudes. They were only 20-years-old at best and not equipped to handle the question. Needless to say, they straightened their ties and jumped back on their bicycles in record time.