News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Door Preachers

Started by Whitney, January 20, 2012, 04:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fester30

When my new neighbors invited my wife and I to their Thursday night Bible studies I told them we don't go to church.  I let them know I don't believe in any gods and never will, and that my wife does believe in god, but not in churches and Bible studies after a youth pastor tried to rape her in high school and the head pastor wouldn't do anything about it.  The youth pastor was using his job to go after high school girls.  He's in prison now. 

Anyway, back to the main point.  He wanted to chit chat with me, and I simply told him that he probably didn't want to waste his time, as I was a Christian for 33 years and likely knew the Bible better than him.  I showed him my Bible with all the notes inside.  He said he'd pray for us and we were always welcome, and I said thank you.  Since then, his children have not once been anywhere near our yard, and he hasn't even so much as replied to me when I tell him hello.  I think they're scared of catching demons or something.

philosoraptor

I don't know what I'd do if someone showed up at my door today preaching religion.  Just a trip to the grocery store usually ends in someone telling you to have a blessed day, and I have to bite my tongue.  I know most people mean well when they say it, but sometimes it just sounds so condescending.

In the world where I don't censor anything that comes out of my mouth, I could picture myself seriously messing with a door preacher.  Like they ask me if I've taken Jesus into my heart and I'd just rub my belly and say I've taken Jesus into more places than just my heart and that the next Messiah should be along 9 months or so from now.

I'm a jerk.  ;D
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on January 21, 2012, 10:04:43 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 21, 2012, 10:02:22 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 21, 2012, 09:05:15 PM
I serve industrial grade coffee, educate them on the many glories of Satan and generally not see the same pair more than once.

To me, door preachers are a source of minor entertainment, nothing more.
I would love to come to your house for coffee.  :)
You and me, both. We might even get Cecilie and Guardian85 to join in too, if we were really lucky.

I'm game!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Enough place for everyone. Enough coffee too  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on January 22, 2012, 01:11:43 PM
Now all we need is money and time!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 22, 2012, 02:38:57 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 22, 2012, 01:11:43 PM
Now all we need is money and time!
...And far more rare commodities than space and coffee, those are  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crocoduck

I was still a Christian the first time I invited a JW in. I think I was just board and maybe a bit lonely seeing as I had just moved to a new state and didn't know many people.

I was a bit surprised when he showed up at the same time a week later and brought another man with him.

I was polite and again welcomed some friendly chat but made it pretty clear I had no intention of attending a meeting at the kingdom hall or starting a regular "bible study" with him.

He kept coming by every now and then till I found a place of my own and moved.

We had talked a lot about the Trinity and Deity of Christ. Things mainstream Christianity claimed were foundational and that I had never questioned.

When I started looking for verses to prove these things I was shocked to find that aside from a few cryptic verses the Bible didn't have a lot to say about them.

It took a lot of years for the wall to fall but that was sort of where the first cracks in my belief began.

So I for one am kind of happy that Door Preacher knocked on my door.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Amicale

Quote from: Crocoduck on January 23, 2012, 06:01:38 PM
.... *snip*

So I for one am kind of happy that Door Preacher knocked on my door.

Crocoduck (love the name, by the way!), I think you do have a point --when a Christian/other theist opens the door and hears the person out, and concludes 'what they believe is a load of hooey, there's little or no evidence for it, it's just man-made bunk', it's a short walk from there to 'what ELSE fits the above categorizations?', even if that walk takes people a long time to get started on.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Wessik

I wish some religious people would come knocking on my door. They usually ring the doorbell, hand out a pamphlet, and then scurry on before I can get a word out. It's kind of strange, and not really like the usual style. Then again, my appearance might have something to do with it...(I sleep nude, and rarely answer the door with anything but a bath-robe and underwear. You can see my little hairy curlies! EEK!)  :o
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Amicale

Quote from: Wessik on January 24, 2012, 03:57:20 AM
I wish some religious people would come knocking on my door. They usually ring the doorbell, hand out a pamphlet, and then scurry on before I can get a word out. It's kind of strange, and not really like the usual style. Then again, my appearance might have something to do with it...(I sleep nude, and rarely answer the door with anything but a bath-robe and underwear. You can see my little hairy curlies! EEK!)  :o

OK, you're so lucky I wasn't drinking anything just now, because you'd owe me a new laptop.  :D

Now, that's a visual that won't leave my head anytime soon...

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Quote from: Wessik on January 24, 2012, 03:57:20 AM

Thank you for that image in my head...  ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Wessik

Meh, I live on the outskirts of san antonio, where the only law enforcement is a lazy ass constable eating donuts at Las Ventana's Restaurant. There's low crime rates though, probably because there's one large inbred family that makes up most of the residents, and a smaller population of newcomers.
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Wessik on January 24, 2012, 10:13:37 PM
Meh, I live on the outskirts of san antonio, where the only law enforcement is a lazy ass constable eating donuts at Las Ventana's Restaurant.

That sounds rather exotic.
Different cultures and their myriad ways, the wonders of diversity, rejoice.
Eating doughnuts at a restaurant, I've never even imagined such a thing.

Mocha Chief

Last time I had a someone come to my door about religion they left a colorful pamphlet on in my door that basically said "Go to church this Sunday or you will go to Hell". Needless to say that pissed me off a good bit and I almost went up to them and told them not to come by house again