News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Student-organised talk on Sharia law at the University of London cancelled

Started by Tank, January 19, 2012, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genericguy

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 22, 2012, 06:22:08 PM
This is why I seriously question whether Islam can every be integrated into a free society.

"The bomb was followed by a fatal shooting incident near Oslo at a youth meeting of the Labour Party, which Mr Stoltenberg leads.

Norwegian media said at least four people were killed when a man opened fire indiscriminately.

Police said the suspected gunman had been arrested, TV2 reported.

No group has said they carried out the attacks but police say they believe them to be linked.

Hours after the bomb struck Oslo, officials said some people were still inside the damaged buildings, some of which were on fire."

This is why I seriously question whether Christianity can ever be integrated into a free society.

Edit: added quote from ecurb.

Sweetdeath

I equally hate all religon and think every society should be secular. If people wanna be religious , do it at home.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ecurb Noselrub

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on January 22, 2012, 07:26:14 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 22, 2012, 06:22:08 PM
This is why I seriously question whether Islam can ever be integrated into a free society.
That's an interesting question. One that for our kids will be far from academic. I did the last year of my degree (2011) in a class of 24 of which only 5 were NOT muslims. I'm quite pleased to say that the guy I got on best with was a Bosnian Muslim. He'd been in the war and had seen comrades killed just a few feet away and had taken his own share of lives. He's a really great guy. There was a Sufi Muslim guy who was just joy on legs. They were a great bunch of people.

There is a very vocal and potentially violent segment of disaffected youth that get a lot of bad press that smears on the majority of Muslims who are just trying to get along.

However the Islamic meme has been very carefully crafted by Mohamed then refined over the centuries and in its worst Saudi/Iranian/Afghanistani/Pakistani guises is an absolute anathema to western civilisation and freedom of expression.

A very difficult problem to even quantify let alone solve.

No question that the majority of Muslims are non-violent.  But since the Qur'an seemingly sanctions violence in certain situations, those passages will always be there to incite the most passionate, angry, young male Muslims.  At least the violent Old Testament passages have been tempered by the New Testament and by the Christian Reformation, and by Christianity developing along side of the Renaissance and Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution.  Islam doesn't have this, and for the most part sees the world as if it were the 8th Century. 

Eventually, Jews got tired of the violence of the OT, and Christian violence subsided a great deal after Catholics and Protestants got tired of killing each other (except in Ireland).  Islam will, hopefully, just get tired of the bloodshed after a while, but can we wait 100 years for that to happen?

Genericguy

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 22, 2012, 09:20:27 PM
Eventually, Jews got tired of the violence of the OT, and Christian violence subsided a great deal after Catholics and Protestants got tired of killing each other (except in Ireland).  Islam will, hopefully, just get tired of the bloodshed after a while, but can we wait 100 years for that to happen?

I would use the general decline in violence from the other religions as a forecast for Islam.

xSilverPhinx

I think Islam will get there eventually. Of course, there is the issue of nuclear weapons that exist now...

But then again there is a segment of poltical Christians who have said that if they had to detonate a few nuclear weapons to bring the apocolypse and the second coming of christ, then they would.

So...

There are fanatics on every side. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Genericguy

On a side note, I think the internet will have a lot to do with it. Although it's filled with B.S., it makes information more easily accessible.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 22, 2012, 09:29:06 PM
I think Islam will get there eventually. Of course, there is the issue of nuclear weapons that exist now...

Right. So we really can't afford to wait, can we?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 22, 2012, 09:31:39 PM

Any attempt to directly intervene might escalate the problem (forced westernisation might be seen as cultural crusading and will be resisted), but yes, the more we wait for Islam to catch up, the more time there would be for a potential disaster.

I'm curious to see what's going to happen in the near future with the Arab Spring and all. A moment of theocracy is to be expected with the power vacuum that the dictators have left, but hopefully they'll reach some form of democratic secular governments soon.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 22, 2012, 09:31:39 PM

That is the biggest problem. With Egypt going fundamentalist in the recent elections and the Persians (Iranians) developing nuclear weapons right next door to Isreal on the one side and Pakistan on the other (Sunni/Shia issues) things are definitly looking interesting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pytheas

Sex drugs and rocknroll can deal with any fucking religious society and wash it out. Insatiable hypersexed barbarella-geishas instead of smart bombs. FUCK YOUR WAY TO PEACE, like saying make love and not war

the majority of muslims are not peaceful! they are sheep as the majority of the world

when in rome one owes to behave like a roman!
what the fuck they cannot assimilate? the chosen country's language not on the priority list?
Do it at home, ditto. There is no other alternative.
In the general public, the ( ok one preferable)  natural progression is minimised rule as you increase understanding, secular and pretty bloody liberal in the moral sense.

I am personally insulted at a public religious broadcast. its blasphemy to our human nature, preventing us from owing our capacities and being responsible for our crawling in the mud. it's also a direct insult to my perception and intelligence.

Allow nearly anything, but strictly enforce the limit
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Tank

Quote from: pytheas on January 23, 2012, 08:06:38 AM
Sex drugs and rocknroll can deal with any fucking religious society and wash it out. Insatiable hypersexed barbarella-geishas instead of smart bombs. FUCK YOUR WAY TO PEACE, like saying make love and not war

the majority of muslims are not peaceful! they are sheep as the majority of the world

when in rome one owes to behave like a roman!
what the fuck they cannot assimilate? the chosen country's language not on the priority list?
Do it at home, ditto. There is no other alternative.
In the general public, the ( ok one preferable)  natural progression is minimised rule as you increase understanding, secular and pretty bloody liberal in the moral sense.

I am personally insulted at a public religious broadcast. its blasphemy to our human nature, preventing us from owing our capacities and being responsible for our crawling in the mud. it's also a direct insult to my perception and intelligence.

Allow nearly anything, but strictly enforce the limit

I always thought sheep were quite peaceful? And in my experience on a day-to-day basis Muslims are just people trying to get along.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 23, 2012, 08:18:05 AM
I always thought sheep were quite peaceful? And in my experience on a day-to-day basis Muslims are just people trying to get along.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on January 23, 2012, 08:27:40 AM
Quote from: Tank on January 23, 2012, 08:18:05 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/
LOL. Not surprising that was made in NZ  :D