News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Would you or have you tried acid?

Started by Thunder Road, January 14, 2012, 12:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder Road

No seriously, hear me out.

Would you, if you knew for sure that it would not physically harm you or anyone else?

What if the same were true AND it was legal?

I want to, but I know that currently it's dangerous and, of course, illegal.  Then I could finally know what the heck Revolution 9 is about.  No seriously though, I think it would be really cool to feel my conscience altered, but I don't want to kill myself and end up in jail to do it.

What do you all think?  Sorry for the randomness.
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Whitney

If it were not dangerous then it would be interesting to try.  But the possible dangers concern me more than the legality even though legality is also a concern.

There are lots of things I'd want to try if they were not dangerous...like rock climbing and stuff like that which I'm currently afraid to do because heights scare me (no danger would alleviate that fear).

DeterminedJuliet

My husband and I say that we think we'd try it after we retire. 

I know plenty of people who have done it and are perfectly fine/functional, but it's just outside of my comfort zone for my current life stage.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

Quote from: Thunder Road on January 14, 2012, 12:00:10 AM
No seriously, hear me out.

Would you, if you knew for sure that it would not physically harm you or anyone else?

What if the same were true AND it was legal?

I want to, but I know that currently it's dangerous and, of course, illegal.  Then I could finally know what the heck Revolution 9 is about.  No seriously though, I think it would be really cool to feel my conscience altered, but I don't want to kill myself and end up in jail to do it.

What do you all think?  Sorry for the randomness.

LSD is physically harmless. The acid tests of the '60s proved that.

The only physical dangers come from activities undertaken while under its powerful influence (like jumping off tall buildings thinking you can fly (which is a very real danger)). Also, unless you are careful with how, where and with whom you try it there can be undesirable mental effects. This drug is the same chemical as the one in the brain that helps carry signals around. You're messing with your mental hardware.

I've said it before in some thread here, LSD had a profoundly positive effect on me and has changed the way the world looks to me. But that's not everyone's story - I know several bad mental cases as a direct result of LSD. The advice I'd give is to try not to believe what you hear, see or think while on acid. And always have a sober friend on-hand. And you can forget sleep for 24 hours. As a starter you could try mushrooms (liberty cap) which give a similar but much gentler trip. They are also easier to gauge potency.

Would I do it again? Sure, given the right environment and a full 48 hour relaxing recovery. It's just not something that has any priority in my life currently.

While I try not to irresponsibly recommend LSD, I do think it can be used as a helpful tool for exploring your own consciousness. I found an alternative perspective in LSD that remains with me in a very positive way. It is truly 'mind expanding'.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crocoduck

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on January 14, 2012, 12:10:10 AM
I've never done it before and I would never do it. I think the feeling of losing control would freak me the fuck out.

I agree, I've only smoked pot a few times but just that makes me paranoid and very uncomfortable. I even had problems the first time a dentist gave me Nitrous Oxide, although I have had it since without problem.

Just give me some good ol' booze any day.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Traveler

No. I'm on several medications for health problems and I would never take the chance of mixing them with something extra. The best way to alter my consciousness is to put me on the bow of a fast power boat, or send me scuba diving in Fiji, or hiking on a warm sunny day ... I get high on life. Seriously.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Asmodean

I have no desire to try narcotics, other than caffeine and nicotine. Just not interested.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

I wouldn't try any mind altering substance that I am aware of or exist today, except under medical supervision and for medical need. I just don't feel the need and I'm not inclined to bugger about with the natural chemical balance in my brain. Not particularly adventurous that way.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

It's hard to say. I do drink alcohol.
But generally I am not interested in drugs.

Gawen

What does this have to do with "Life as an atheist"?

My experiences with LSD was back in the low 70's...when it was really LSD. Were I the same age now as I was then, you couldn't pay me to take the chemicals they say is "acid" today.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Thunder Road on January 14, 2012, 12:00:10 AM

If it was that it wouldn't be acid.

I'm in the market for a mind altering something.
I'm already kinda odd.
Something to temporarily accentuate my weirdness is all I'm after.
Giving my mind too great a shake seems unwise.
It never was securely tethered, it could easily be lost.

Siz

Quote from: Gawen on January 14, 2012, 12:47:25 PM
What does this have to do with "Life as an atheist"?

My experiences with LSD was back in the low 70's...when it was really LSD. Were I the same age now as I was then, you couldn't pay me to take the chemicals they say is "acid" today.

Are you sure you wouldn't be swept up in the whole culture, just as you were back in the day? You have the benefit of maturity to make the decision to abstain now. The youth today are just as carefree as they (we) were in the 70s.

I don't think pure acid (LSD) is very common these days. They mix it with MDMA and amphetamines and all sorts of other stuff and call it Ecstasy - a more tailored party drug and worlds apart from pure LSD.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

I tried it once in college and HATED it.  I mean, it was fun for a little while....but then it just wouldn't stop.  And then we met up with this schizophrenic man in an IHOP who just zeroed in on us somehow, and if being all messed up on acid wasn't bad enough at that point (I was wishing for it to be over already by this point), try doing it while having a conversation with a man who is basically talking some sort of streams of consciousness word salad.  In my right mind I might have found it interesting, but on acid I found it awful awful awful.  *shudder*