News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Faith is Greater than Reason

Started by Egor, January 11, 2012, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

You can be as much of a "holy man" as you like. To a lion you're still lunch!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 12, 2012, 09:13:46 PM
You can be as much of a "holy man" as you like. To a lion you're still lunch!

He would be holy once the lions were through with him! :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 12, 2012, 01:42:51 PM
Something tells me he isn't going to come back this time.  :-\
Th at was fast. I so missed all the fun. ;_:
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Egor on January 11, 2012, 07:56:12 PM

Because faith uses rationality as its stepping stone and then goes further through the use of will, it is obviously a greater use of human mental capabilities. And couldn't it be said that the use of will is more godlike than the use of rationality? Thus if there is a God, it may well be the case that we grow closer to Him via the use of faith.

I don't think you can really compare faith and reason. That's apples and oranges. Faith may explore paths that reason rejects, but those paths can lead to blind alleys or box canyons with no way out.  Like Kierkegaard, I envision a "leap of faith," where the path of reason and experience leads to a chasm, and one is faced with a challenge, a crisis. The sum total of one's personal experiences informs the choice to leap or not to leap. If the choice is "leap," then the result is either faith-building or hope-dashing. Pure reason may say "don't jump."  But something in the individual's constitution may counsel differently. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 11, 2012, 10:15:44 PM
Quote from: Stevil on January 11, 2012, 09:41:14 PM
Faith is Greater than reason.

Hmmmm.

5 is greater than 2 because 5 comes after 2
If I look in a dictionary I am sure Reason comes after Faith hence Reason is greater than Faith.

Also
Faith consists of 5 letters where as Reason consists of 6 letters so again Reason is greater than Faith.

I win.

This is rock solid proof if I've ever seen it!

I agree. Have you ever considered becoming an apologist?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 13, 2012, 01:07:38 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 12, 2012, 01:42:51 PM
Something tells me he isn't going to come back this time.  :-\
Th at was fast. I so missed all the fun. ;_:
I'm very sure that he'll be back again.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ali

Stevil!  You're famous!

(Not to drive more traffic to Renh Renh's blog, but I can't help myself but check in and see what tomfoolery he has been up to now.  And he names you, by name!  You're a celebrity!)

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Oh my.

He has quote mined me and made out that we were having a jovial conversation with the title of his blog post
"Stevil and I Discuss Faith".

I was actually responding to another poster, not to Egor, so it is incredibly dishonest for him to state "Stevil and I discuss faith"
He didn't even ask me if he could use my post on his blog.

My full post is as follows.
I have bolded the part that he used on his blog.

The thing about faith though, is that you never have to put it to the test. It never crosses over into the material reality. Otherwise it could be proved and once proved then it is no longer faith.

Faith is about imagining that unprovable concepts are in fact not conceptual but real. The word for this is metaphysical. The fantastic thing about the metaphysical is that it is untestable and unmeasurable.

In this way you can dream up a personal god like creature that loves you and happens to agree with all of your morals, laugh at all your jokes and just simply thinks you are the most wonderful person on the planet. You can be so in tune with this personal god of yours that you could consider it your best friend in the whole wide world. You can even make a BFF pact with it. Isn't that nice. Gives you warm fuzzies, love, love, love. Oh how I wish I could believe in this.

My physical friends just ridicule me, those b'stards!

He is doing this so that he can build up an internet presence. He wants content on his blog but no-one will participate other than throw insults at him. So now he is resorting to quote mining from posts made on other forums. It is very, very sad to think about the issues this poor lad has. I do seriously think he needs professional help.

Tristan Jay

I wish he would stop being embarrassing with his "My ideas are nuclear fire on Atheist forums!"  Maybe he doesn't feel embarrassed, but I wince inside when I see those words on his blog, and I compare his personal feelings about his presented ideas here, which I don't find compelling (and others here don't seem too fussed, either).  Nuclear fire...oh, brother.  It's unbearably...undignified.  It's undignified to be so boastful, and even worse when basis of his boasting is unfounded or unproven.   ::)  :-[

Slightly ironically, one of his threads, combined with the comments of a Christian on one of the Christian forums I visited made me troubled about de-humanizing practices, and I convinced me to question it on a couple of Christian forums.  I've been forced to conclude as a result that the conversations from the threads I've introduced in all earnest intent have diminished my regard for Christianity, since it seems like the text of the Bible, combined with long developed Christian doctrine has lodged deeply into the structure of organized Christianity's psyche a fundamental questioning of non-Christian's basic capability to be human.  I won't dismiss the possibility that I'm misreading the sum total of the situation based on the discourse on such a small sampling of internet traffic.  I think that Christian's really should be constantly discussing the issue though, if nothing else to keep on their guard against oversimplifying their assumptions about people and the world.  I would do it myself, make it a mission, but I'm only one person, of questionable spiritual standing.  :sad shrug:

I'm not going to say it was a victory, or a cause for celebration, but (only vaguely amusingly) troubling and disturbing that Christians on one forum were doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to enable Christians as higher while at the same time not diminishing non-Christians as respectably enough human.  Scrambling to have their cake and eat it.  On the other Christian forum, they weren't too worried, simply dismissing non-Christian's goodwill intentions and actions as tainted (they said spiritually on par with being smeared with excrement).   >:(  On one forum, scrambling, arguing (in some cases they were even getting a bit short with each other), on another simply justifying with the dissection and deconstruction of (arguably political) religious doctrine with the ultimate conclusion in no real doubt.  :shakes head in despair:

Ali

I actually think he might be a little dangerous.  Not in a "Oh noes, I'm scared he's going to convert me to Christianity!" kind of way, but in a "Delusions of Grandeur + an unnatural fixation on a group that he considers 'the enemy' = if he had a gun he might shoot one of us and crow about being a warrior for God" kind of way.

Stevil

Quote from: Ali on January 13, 2012, 07:21:11 PM
I actually think he might be a little dangerous.  Not in a "Oh noes, I'm scared he's going to convert me to Christianity!" kind of way, but in a "Delusions of Grandeur + an unnatural fixation on a group that he considers 'the enemy' = if he had a gun he might shoot one of us and crow about being a warrior for God" kind of way.
Yes, all the abuse he gets thrown at him from atheists, I can see how he might internalise that we are angry satanic people.
He certainly has "Delusions of Grandeur", he ended his Stevil blog with
Even if I have to go back to the words of Jesus and the early Christians and reinvent the wheel, I'm going to teach people how to develop miracle-working faith.
I don't know if he believes what he says or if he just thinks he can drum up some interest in his book and hence make some money.
But the way he is going about it, well, I don't see that anyone, who know who he is, will be interested in paying money for his book

Davin

Quote from: Tristan Jay on January 13, 2012, 07:00:20 PM
I wish he would stop being embarrassing with his "My ideas are nuclear fire on Atheist forums!"  Maybe he doesn't feel embarrassed, but I wince inside when I see those words on his blog, and I compare his personal feelings about his presented ideas here, which I don't find compelling (and others here don't seem too fussed, either).  Nuclear fire...oh, brother.  It's unbearably...undignified.  It's undignified to be so boastful, and even worse when basis of his boasting is unfounded or unproven.   ::)  :-[
He should be quite embarrassed about that, but he seems to be very happy with his lack of self awareness.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.