News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by bitter_sweet_symphony, November 16, 2007, 03:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter_sweet_symphony

Hi!

I am from India. Was born in a Hindu family, but luckily my family didn't force religion on me. Even studying in a strict Catholic school didn't get me too interested in religion. I ain't sure exactly what I believed back then, but I knew that there was not much truth in any of the religions I was familiar with.

Then, after the death of my father, with whom I was really close, I dabbled seriously with religion. I guess I wanted some sort of comfort in knowing that there was a Super Being that cared about me personally. ( Oddly, I always maintained that having imaginary friends was silly) Inexplicably, I embraced a religion with beliefs very different from those I held before.

To cut a long story short, within a few months time I stood facing a situation which demanded I made drastic changes in my life. It's crazy to think that I was ready to give up my hopes and ambitions to get something which I wasn't sure even existed.

Luckily, I got out of the self imposed misery, just in time. Today I feel that religion (some religions, especially) is an addiction, that thrills initially and then you end up in a downward spiral.

Have never felt better in ages.

SteveS

Hi bitter_sweet_symphony (I like that song :wink: ), welcome to the board - glad to have you.

QuoteHave never felt better in ages.
Cool - its what being a 'happy atheist' is all about!

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, bitter-sweet-symphony.  Thanks for sharing your story.

rlrose328

Welcome to the forum... hope to get to know you more!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Simone

Hey! And as they've already said, welcome to the happy atheist forum. :) Not that it really matters, but my mom comes from India too. Dunno, just found that interesting. Anyhow, do you like to waste your time watching Bollywood movies such as myself? If so, let's chat, lmao!
Ugh...ima back.

Whitney

Welcome to the forum.  I think you may be our first member from india.

bitter_sweet_symphony

Thanks for the welcome.

QuoteWelcome to the forum. I think you may be our first member from india.
Have been wandering around this forum for sometime and I think you are right. Feels great to be the first  :hail:  :hail:

QuoteAnyhow, do you like to waste your time watching Bollywood movies such as myself?
Well, I don't really like Bollywood movies. Too much of sentimental stuff for my liking. :( Did enjoy a few movies though. Which movies have you watched?

McQ

Welcome to the forum!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

McWogg

Hello, I'm a new member also. By that I mean I just 'came out' in the last few months but have been a contented atheist all my life. I'm especially interested by your letter because I was also born in India of a British Military family. I like to look at Ranikhet on Google Earth. I'm impressed by what a beautiful part of the World it it.
Your moving into Atheism in such a devoutly religious part of the World interests me. Especially when I hear about honor killing and the like. I must assume your people were just open minded but how the hell do they get away with that?
I can remember being beaten by Catholic nuns in the various boarding schools I attended in India when I was a kid. I didn't believe in God from the very start because I didn't like those people. I soon forgot about heaven and hell and have lived a very contented without worrying about any after life. In fact one of the most comforting thoughts I have is that there is nothing else to worry about 'when we fall of our perch'. I can't explain this to god fearing people. In the meantime have as good time and try to help others. Now happily retired in Florida .
Sorry to spout. A.Y.

Simone

QuoteAnyhow, do you like to waste your time watching Bollywood movies such as myself?
Well, I don't really like Bollywood movies. Too much of sentimental stuff for my liking. :( Heh. Who`s your fave actor of actrice so far?
Ugh...ima back.

bitter_sweet_symphony

QuoteYour moving into Atheism in such a devoutly religious part of the World interests me. Especially when I hear about honor killing and the like. I must assume your people were just open minded but how the hell do they get away with that?

Thanks for your post. India is indeed a religious country and most citizens are religious. But the situation is slightly different among the urban youth. Most are non-religious, I mean if you ask them they'll say that they believe in God and stuff, but you wouldn't guess that from their behavior  :( So, tell me, which movies are good among the latest releases? Also, may I pm you? It might be better, cause most here don't have a clue about Bollywood :)

McWogg

Great to hear from you. Thanks for your response. You've got me thinking about my birthplace again. My family and I sailed  out of Mumbai in 1947 when India had gained independence and the Brits were finally kicked out. Salaamaleykum.

bitter_sweet_symphony

QuoteGreat to hear from you. Thanks for your response. You've got me thinking about my birthplace again. My family and I sailed out of Mumbai in 1947 when India had gained independence and the Brits were finally kicked out. Salaamaleykum.
Wa alaykum as salam. Though I don't use Islamic greetings anymore, I kind of like these two. They are almost secular :thumbsup.
I have often wondered how things were during the 1940's. We have studied all about it, but it's different from actually witnessing it. Have you never been back here since?

McWogg

Never been back to India and I don't remember too much. I was very young. I spoke Urdu and Gurkali before speaking English. Languages I learned from the various Ayahs and their kids but I can hardly remember a word any more. I have some memories of life and death in Lahore. Right after independence in early 1947 we lived in British officers married quarters in a hotel just outside Lahore (my father was in Nepal and I never saw him again until we got to England). In the hotel we were waited on hand and foot. There was somebody to do just about everything but wipe bottoms. I can remember turbanned bearers standing outside on the verandahs and even the pathetic punkah wallahs and kabari wallahs (is that correct?).  My mother, sister and I were in a restaurant in downtown Lahore and rioting erupted. Swarms of people with lathies and swords beating and slashing each other. Our driver ran away (we travelled in a chaufferred vehicle) and we were taken into the kitchen cowered for what seemed hours.. Then I can remember hearing gunfire and the rioting stopped. Police and soldiers had opend fire. We got a ride back home in an army truck. The streets were littered with bodies. Indendence had fully set in this was the onset of India's splitting up because of good ol' religion. Muslims and Hindus fighting each other in the name of a god of love. Back at the hotel all the staff had absconded and there was no electricity.We lived like this for a few few weeks before being moved to an embarkation camp at a place called Doolally. It was a hell hole. I don't remember too much because I was so young but I vividly remember the massacre in Lahore and life in Doolally.
There are lots of stories about Doolally but I can't find it on any map. Have you heard of it?
You've really got me spouting.

Simone

You? Want to Pm Me? Heck yeah, now about the recent releases.... Actually most of the "really new" ones have kind of been a waste of time (not that most aren't) but Chuk de India was a good one, Guru, Cash, Dhoom 2 (songs mainly) (Hrithik is sooooo hot) and here are kind of old ones, but I love them: Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, and Hulchul! But regarding really really old films, like Darmendra times, I'd say that I loved any movie that had Mumtaaz in it.
Ugh...ima back.