News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

An Experiment in Xian Perception

Started by MadBomr101, January 02, 2012, 02:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

I've selected a story from among today's reports on CNN.com that I think would be of concern to many Xians.  I'm going to then offer not only my personal atheist viewpoint but I'm also going to offer what I  believe would be the general Xian reaction to the same story.  The purpose: to gauge the accuracy of this speculative Xian view by holding it open to public scrutiny and to illustrate the difference in thinking that makes these two groups hopelessly incompatible.  I'm curious to hear from theist and atheist alike.  Not all Xians will respond to something like with with the same degree of religious or moral indignation.  Some are likely to shake their heads and take it in stride while others will be absolutely outraged.  My goal is to strike a general Xian reaction without going too far in either direction.

Here's the story - Two More States Allow Same-Sex Civil Unions

My Personal Atheist Reaction: I couldn't care less who anyone chooses to live with and/or love.  In what possible way does the love these women share with one another impact my life?  It doesn't.  They're free to love whomever they want.  This is not a problem.

My Speculative Xian Reaction:  This is more sad evidence that this country is moving further from a Christ based (Christian) morality to a secular free-for-all where anything goes.  Do the words of God mean nothing?  For He said: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)  This holds equally true for women lying together.  This is one step closer to allowing all gay marriage to flourish in clear violation of our Heavenly Father's own edict.  What sort of lesson is this to teach our children?  I pray for the future of this once great nation.

It could easily be much more fire and brimstone as Pat Robertson would do or Jerry Falwell would've done but my speculative Xian isn't a raging fundamentalist nutcase, just a bible thumping member of the conservative right.

Feel free to comment and/or offer your own interpretation.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 02, 2012, 02:18:17 AM
My Personal Atheist Reaction: I couldn't care less who anyone chooses to live with and/or love.  In what possible way does the love these women share with one another impact my life?  It doesn't.  They're free to love whomever they want.  This is not a problem.

Xian Reaction to Your Atheist Reaction: I love the smell of burning souls in the morning.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Ali

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on January 02, 2012, 09:19:36 AM

Xian Reaction to Your Atheist Reaction: I love the smell of burning souls in the morning.

LMAO!

To the OP, yes, your speculative Christian reaction is pretty close to what I would expect (some) Christians to say.  I find it really interesting that (some) Christians seem to hold the opinion that legalizing gay marriage somehow goes against their rights - as if the Big Plan is:

Step 1) Legalize gay marriage
Step 2) Force all Christians regardless of sexual orientation to participate in a gay marriage.

I would love to hear an actual theists take on this, as it's not much fun debating a theoretical Christian.  I don't like to have to supply both sides of the debate.  LOL

MadBomr101

Quote from: Ali on January 03, 2012, 12:47:29 AM
Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on January 02, 2012, 09:19:36 AM

LMAO!

To the OP, yes, your speculative Christian reaction is pretty close to what I would expect (some) Christians to say.  I find it really interesting that (some) Christians seem to hold the opinion that legalizing gay marriage somehow goes against their rights - as if the Big Plan is:

Step 1) Legalize gay marriage
Step 2) Force all Christians regardless of sexual orientation to participate in a gay marriage.

I would love to hear an actual theists take on this, as it's not much fun debating a theoretical Christian.  I don't like to have to supply both sides of the debate.  LOL

Thanks.  I do a pretty convincing theroretical Scientologist too.

I'd like to see some theist response as well.  I'm curious why same sex unions are considered to be such a dire threat.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on January 02, 2012, 09:19:36 AMXian Reaction to Your Atheist Reaction: I love the smell of burning souls in the morning.

It smells like divine justice...and bratwurst.
- Bomr

Whitney

I think that most theists don't care or actually support same sex marriage...it's only the older, deep southern, and evangelical groups that complain about it.  As these groups age out of existence and newer generations find less and less appeal in fire and brimstone beliefs I think we'll see the backlash against gay marriage disappear. 

Ali

Quote from: Whitney on January 03, 2012, 01:13:29 AM
I think that most theists don't care or actually support same sex marriage...it's only the older, deep southern, and evangelical groups that complain about it.  As these groups age out of existence and newer generations find less and less appeal in fire and brimstone beliefs I think we'll see the backlash against gay marriage disappear. 

Whitney, that's true too; it depends on the "theist".  I just read a stat that said that as of 2011, 53% of Americans support gay marriage, and since I think something like 85-ish% of Americans claim some sort of belief in a higher power, there has got to be a lot of overlap between people who believe in a higher power and who also support gay marriage.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147662/first-time-majority-americans-favor-legal-gay-marriage.aspx

I think that the reason that I automatically think of Christians as being opposed to gay marriage is because I assume that the majority of the 45% that don't support it must be religious - just because I have never heard a non-religious argument against gay marriage that made a lick of sense, and even the so-called non-religious reasons that I have heard have been put forth by theists who are trying to spin things.  Plus my family is all made up of Evangelical Christians, so those are the attitudes that I was raised with, and that I automatically associate with the term "Christian."   ;)

Whitney

Quote from: Ali on January 03, 2012, 02:46:54 AM
just because I have never heard a non-religious argument against gay marriage that made a lick of sense, and even the so-called non-religious reasons that I have heard have been put forth by theists who are trying to spin things. 

I have known of a very few atheists who are anti-gay-rights...one I came across on another forum (he was good at making himself sound reasoned but his reasons fell apart when anyone with a strong background in biology or psychology dissected them).  The other I heard about through a rant post by Matt Dilahunty (guy from Atheist Experience TV show) on facebook...there is apparently a black atheist radio/tv show out of some southern area (forgot where) and they were gay bashing.  None of them had rational reasons for their bigotry though...all boiled down to typical "it's not natural"  or "it grosses me out" type of stuff.

MadBomr101

Cut and pasted from the article in Ali's link:
Quote"PRINCETON, NJ -- For the first time in Gallup's tracking of the issue, a majority of Americans (53%) believe same-sex marriage should be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages. The increase since last year came exclusively among political independents and Democrats. Republicans' views did not change."

I suspected those results probably weren't reflective of the conservative right.  It's this group I was referencing in my initial post.  Independants and Democrats are generally open-minded enough not to get all bent out of shape over gay marriage and may even be willing to alter their views over time so they're not really the issue.  When Michelle Bachmann or Sarah Palin, or Rick Perry, or, well, all that lot, change THEIR minds, well, then you've really got something.

Would still like to hear from a Leviticus quoting type theist on this.
- Bomr

AnimatedDirt

My perception of this article is simply, It is what it is.

A Christian should understand that this world is heading in a direction that if we Christians believe in God and His word, we cannot stop.  In fact, the faster it it happens, the sooner He returns.  I don't care a whole lot whether the society I live in allows Gay Marriage or not.  I happen to stand more on the side of allowing it, while I also stand on the side that says homosexual ACTS are an abomination.  (I don't think this thread is about debating whether that is right or wrong...or to explain my stance further.)

My point is simply to say that the reality is whether the Christian likes it or not, things are headed in a direction that we will NEED to or WANT to be as far from...if that is possible.  (Matt. 24)

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 03, 2012, 04:27:53 PM
I happen to stand more on the side of allowing it, while I also stand on the side that says homosexual ACTS are an abomination.
"abomination" is such a big, judgmental word. I am surprised to read it coming from you AnimatedDirt.
I understand you are for separation of state and church and are for people having freedom of choice to "sin" or not.
But I was thinking maybe you thought of Christian morals as being a guideline for yourself in order to help you make decisions in your life with regards to your own actions rather than to judge others by.

Of course we are all free to judge so I am not getting hypocritical on you, I was just surprised by your choice of word.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on January 03, 2012, 09:07:10 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 03, 2012, 04:27:53 PM
I happen to stand more on the side of allowing it, while I also stand on the side that says homosexual ACTS are an abomination.
"abomination" is such a big, judgmental word. I am surprised to read it coming from you AnimatedDirt.
I understand you are for separation of state and church and are for people having freedom of choice to "sin" or not.
But I was thinking maybe you thought of Christian morals as being a guideline for yourself in order to help you make decisions in your life with regards to your own actions rather than to judge others by.

Of course we are all free to judge so I am not getting hypocritical on you, I was just surprised by your choice of word.

When sin is categorized as one bigger than another, then the use of "abomination" is rather judgmental.  However when one (rightly) equates any sin(s) as an abomination, then we can see that whether one has homosexual sex or steals a penny, both are equally an abomination.  It is within this context that I use(d) abomination above...that and to quote the biblical English text.

This is to say that any Christian that holds to a strict interpretation of the bible in the context of homosexuality, in my opinion is simply just as guilty of committing an abominable sin in simple words of hate towards another human.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 03, 2012, 09:23:43 PM
When sin is categorized as one bigger than another, then the use of "abomination" is rather judgmental.  However when one (rightly) equates any sin(s) as an abomination, then we can see that whether one has homosexual sex or steals a penny, both are equally an abomination.  It is within this context that I use(d) abomination above...that and to quote the biblical English text.

This is to say that any Christian that holds to a strict interpretation of the bible in the context of homosexuality, in my opinion is simply just as guilty of committing an abominable sin in simple words of hate towards another human.
Why not simply say that it is a sin rather than abomination. It would be much easier for your atheist audience to understand the intent behind your words.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on January 03, 2012, 09:42:24 PM
Why not simply say that it is a sin rather than abomination. It would be much easier for your atheist audience to understand the intent behind your words.

Point taken.  Homosexual acts is sin.

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 03, 2012, 03:38:21 AM
Would still like to hear from a Leviticus quoting type theist on this.

I guess I was just trying to give MadBomr101 what he/she wants.  ;)

Crow

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 03, 2012, 10:08:55 PM

Point taken.  Homosexual acts is sin.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.
Retired member.