News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

An Experiment in Xian Perception

Started by MadBomr101, January 02, 2012, 02:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 06, 2012, 04:22:28 AM
The NIV interpretation seems oddly worded then.  Wouldn't the person giving the willful, calculated stare already be feeling desire, otherwise what would be the point of staring?  "That arouses desire" suggests something happening after the stare, something caused by the stare, which would not be the starers desire since the person staring is already in that state.
Of course.  The thought originated "in the heart" and manifest itself in the stare, the thought...that's why Jesus says, "...has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 06, 2012, 04:41:27 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 06, 2012, 04:22:28 AM
The NIV interpretation seems oddly worded then.  Wouldn't the person giving the willful, calculated stare already be feeling desire, otherwise what would be the point of staring?  "That arouses desire" suggests something happening after the stare, something caused by the stare, which would not be the starers desire since the person staring is already in that state.
Of course.  The thought originated "in the heart" and manifest itself in the stare, the thought...that's why Jesus says, "...has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

But whose desire is the stare calculated to arouse then?  That's what's confusing me. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 06, 2012, 04:46:50 AM
But whose desire is the stare calculated to arouse then?  That's what's confusing me.

Sorry, but I really don't understand.  I'm guessing you're not understanding that the one "staring" is the one lusting?  How would someone starring cause the one being stared at to be aroused?  It happens, I suppose, but how many women do we know that feel aroused sexually by being stared at?

Sandra Craft

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 06, 2012, 10:01:11 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 06, 2012, 04:46:50 AM

Sorry, but I really don't understand.  I'm guessing you're not understanding that the one "staring" is the one lusting?  How would someone starring cause the one being stared at to be aroused?   It happens, I suppose, but how many women do we know that feel aroused sexually by being stared at?

That's my problem -- the way the NIV interpretation is worded, that's what it seems to be suggesting.  Which I've already agreed in another post is ridiculous.  Ah well, it doesn't really matter, I understand the point -- lusting after someone you're not officially permitted by marriage to lust after is a sin for Xtians.  It's just the wording is odd.
Sandy

MadBomr101

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 07, 2012, 01:39:49 AMThat's my problem -- the way the NIV interpretation is worded, that's what it seems to be suggesting.  Which I've already agreed in another post is ridiculous.  Ah well, it doesn't really matter, I understand the point -- lusting after someone you're not officially permitted by marriage to lust after is a sin for Xtians.  It's just the wording is odd.

No matter how they word it, it's just dumb.

Human beings are lustful creatures.  It's our nature.  Man is the only creature that's in heat 365 days a year.  Every other creature goes into heat only during the mating season while Man engages is sex purely for recreation much of the time all year round.  So leave it to religion to make a sin out of something that has been programmed into us at the very core of our being.

Something esle that makes no sense, if one believes in god then our sex drive was his doing when we were created.  How moronic would it be to create a being that's horny all the time then make that a sin?  It makes no sense so I say let's all lust to our heart's content and not feel guilty about it.  There are much bigger problems in this world to get worked up over than just checking out a hot pair of legs.

...or whatever turns one on.

- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Sweetdeath

*le gasp* Are you saying god is a total moron that made humans flawed purposely?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 07, 2012, 04:25:37 AM*le gasp* Are you saying god is a total moron that made humans flawed purposely?

Well, yeah, but, in all fairness to god, I guess he's gotta get his jollies somehow. 
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 07, 2012, 05:03:22 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 07, 2012, 04:25:37 AM*le gasp* Are you saying god is a total moron that made humans flawed purposely?

Well, yeah, but, in all fairness to god, I guess he's gotta get his jollies somehow. 

Makes it sound like he deliberately set humans up to fail, since there's no way anyone but an asexual could avoid committing that particular sin.
Sandy

MadBomr101

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 07, 2012, 05:08:08 AM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 07, 2012, 05:03:22 AM

Makes it sound like he deliberately set humans up to fail, since there's no way anyone but an asexual could avoid committing that particular sin.

Exactly.  God is...kind of a messed up guy. 
- Bomr

Tank

Or we a simply evolved apes, with just enough brains to be dangerous.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2012, 05:36:16 AM

So I can go ahead and enjoy fantasizing about a three-way with Liam Neeson and Halle Berry?  Life is good.
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 07, 2012, 06:41:58 AM

So I can go ahead and enjoy fantasizing about a three-way with Liam Neeson and Halle Berry?  Life is good.
Yep!  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MadBomr101

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 07, 2012, 06:41:58 AM

Feel free, and try and squeeze me in there somewhere.  I'm totally good with lust.  One of the most fun sins there is.

GO LUST!
- Bomr