News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

am i a HUGE hypercrit?

Started by stephy, November 08, 2007, 04:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephy

i have a sister. whos my best friend. shes agnostic, but its not something she really thinks about.
she has a daughter who is 5months old, Mia, my neice. She is havin her christened and asked me to be "godmother" which i said yes to. she knows what i'm like about this stuff though. see the way i see it is as her godmother i'll look out for her, and u know, should the worst happen to my sister, i'm there. thats how i see it. i asked my sister what happens for the service itself, as the thought of just goin in a church worries me as i tend to say what i think too much. anyway apparently i have to "repent of my sins" what!!!!!!! i mean i have to do it, for my sister, she would be devestated if i didnt because of my own stubborness, but am i everything i hate?!?! thoughts?

Mister Joy

I'd go ahead and do it. A church is just another building to a non-believer, and confessions et cetera are just traditionalist words and ceremonies that don't really mean anything, so I don't see what the problem is.

SteveS

Easy, just repent in this manner: "I seek no repentance as I have committed no sins".  Done.  Next step.....

:wink:

rlrose328

Oooo... I LIKE that answer, Steve... good job!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

MommaSquid

Quote from: "SteveS"Easy, just repent in this manner: "I seek no repentance as I have committed no sins".  

That won't fly with most preachers/ministers/priests.  They believe in "original sin" and thus, we are all sinners.  Go figure.   :?

I would have to decline the invitation to be someone's godmother.

I would, however,  accept being named guardian in the parent's will...that has legal weight that doesn't exist when you're a godparent.

That's my two cents.

Welcome to the forum, Stephy.

stephy

do u know whats crazy.... the vicar person in this service... tells god that mia repents of her sins. is he mental. firstly. mia is 5months old, how has she possibly "sinned"? secondly, who is he to decide whether she does repent or not!!! haha i like to think my niece is going to be a little rebel i dont want her repenting anythin! its just crazy, can they not see how mental that sounds. a little baby that hasnt got a clue. i get quite angry at my sister for the whole christenin thing. its just an excuse for a party. which is fine, but why not just have the party without the church bit? i got christened and fat lot of good it did me!!!

SteveS

Quote from: "MommaSquid"That won't fly with most preachers/ministers/priests. They believe in "original sin" and thus, we are all sinners.
Aw crap.  I thought I had an easy out....

Maybe you could claim you were immaculately conceived, and therefore exempt from original sin?

Whitney

In the ceremonies I"ve seen the repenting of sin parts involve the preacher sayig "do you repent your sins" and you just have to reply "I do."  I like getting married to repenting...lol.

I don't think your sister should have asked you to be part of that ceremony before explaing what it would be like.  But, it really won't hurt you to play pretend for a day just to make your sister happy by doing something she feels is very important.

Asmodean Prime

Ha, it's not as though you are repenting to some higher power, you are merely repenting to a minister/congregation. It's all formalities to make them happy, it has nothing to do with personal belief (even for the "believers")

Steve Reason

Sorry, I'm afraid I couldn't do it. I don't need a fucking church's imprimatur to be a godparent. And I'm sure as hell not going to give them mine by participating in their silly superstitious rituals. What a monumental waste of time.  :x
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Will

We live in a religious society. Sometimes it's just a matter of saying "I don't care enough about this garbage to make a fuss". It's what keeps me from handing out flyers in front of churches.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Bella

I couldn't do that. Oh my... repent my sins? They'd all have heart attacks! No, really... heart attacks! Lol. Besides, I find it offensive to have ANYONE try to force me to give up personal information.

I agree with mommasquid about the will thing. Just explain your religious beliefs and issues about it to your sister. Just because you're not a "godparent" doesn't mean that you can't be there for your neice.

Quote from: "stephy"do u know whats crazy.... the vicar person in this service... tells god that mia repents of her sins. is he mental. firstly. mia is 5months old, how has she possibly "sinned"?

You know that mess she made in her diaper that got EVERYWHERE? Yea, uh huh... that one.  :lol:

So... is the FATHER religous, then? If she's agnostic, why is she doing this?

weirdframer

My wife and I both are atheiest and were asked to be godparents to my nephews third child. It was a baptist service and we lived thru it ! I knew it was all BS but i did for my nephew. We all do things we dont like all the time. Do it for your sister!
The trouble with born-again Christians is that they are an even bigger pain the second time around.”

ryanvc76

I couldn't take part in it.  Religion annoys me to the point of such frustration that I can't simply play the part.  Why should you have to go against your own feelings to please them with this hokus pokus shit?  You're not the selfish one if you refuse - others are selfish for expecting you to go along with the nonsense!

Sitting in a church for a wedding or a funeral is one thing - you're not required to participate (no, I won't bow my head).  This goes way beyond that.  Who the hell are they to assume you want to participate in the first place?
---=---=---=---=---
http://www.vancleave.de
---=---=---=---
"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - Mark Twain

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

---=---

tacoma_kyle

I have to agree Ryan.

It would be kinda depressing to see all the swirling graymatter lol)
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol