News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

am i a HUGE hypercrit?

Started by stephy, November 08, 2007, 04:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyBigPicture

Here we are in the Philosophy section, so most of us, I would hope, are concerned with the truth, and if you are, then you should come clean to your sister about your stance.  Just tell her you're an atheist and its against your views, or convert...

Lindsey_Mcfarren

I would hate to dissappoint someone that I care about.  However not only do I NOT think I could do this, I don't even feel like I could enter a church.  I have been dragged to church so often over my lifetime and HATED every minute of it.  
I don't think I could actually have a conversation with someone about MY sin or the sin of a baby.  Honestly it would be like talking about flying araound the garden like a fairy or something stupid like that.
Better to reign in HELL then serve in Heaven. - Milton

Loffler

Quote from: "stephy"i have a sister. whos my best friend. shes agnostic, but its not something she really thinks about.
she has a daughter who is 5months old, Mia, my neice. She is havin her christened and asked me to be "godmother" which i said yes to. she knows what i'm like about this stuff though. see the way i see it is as her godmother i'll look out for her, and u know, should the worst happen to my sister, i'm there. thats how i see it. i asked my sister what happens for the service itself, as the thought of just goin in a church worries me as i tend to say what i think too much. anyway apparently i have to "repent of my sins" what!!!!!!! i mean i have to do it, for my sister, she would be devestated if i didnt because of my own stubborness, but am i everything i hate?!?! thoughts?

You take your disbelief way too seriously. Religion is a hobby for other people. If your friend invited you to a football with two teams you don't care about, you wouldn't refuse on principle, would you?

One of the benefits of the secular life is you don't have to waste thought and energy fretting about religious hypocrisy and conviction. Repent for your damn and sins and enjoy the buffet afterwards, for godsake.

Asmodean

Are you a huge "hypercrit" if you do it? No, not really.

Do I think you should? No, not really. If the whole point is for you to take care of the kid should the worst happen to your sister, you don't have to do it through a religious ceremony.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.