News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Persistant vegatative state and the soul

Started by yodachoda, December 25, 2011, 03:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yodachoda

Persistent vegetative state (PVS) is when damage to the brain has occurred and the patient is no longer conscious and thinking and aware. They are technically alive, and the brain is not officially brain-dead, but their personality is completely gone. They can't talk or walk or read. They can respond to basic stimuli though. Here is a quick clip of someone in PVS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rtKKfImndo

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but theists believe the mind or soul is separate from the physical world. This is how it's possible there is life after death and how God is a thinking being with no physical form. So where is the soul of people with PVS? Is it destroyed due to the brain damage? If so, don't ALL people have their souls destroyed at death due to brain death?

Is the soul/mind completely intact and waiting for the physical body to die? Does the soul leave the instant PVS begins?

IMO, people in persistent vegetative states are evidence of atheism. It seems to me that physical brains and chemical interactions within the brain are responsible for the mind. Invisible things like emotion, thinking, personality, ect may not have a physical form but they are only possible and due to physical matter. Damage a certain part of the brain and personality is gone. Damage another and emotions are gone. Damage another and consciousness is gone.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: yodachoda on December 25, 2011, 03:38:16 AM
IMO, people in persistent vegetative states are evidence of atheism. It seems to me that physical brains and chemical interactions within the brain are responsible for the mind. Invisible things like emotion, thinking, personality, ect may not have a physical form but they are only possible and due to physical matter. Damage a certain part of the brain and personality is gone. Damage another and emotions are gone. Damage another and consciousness is gone.

Definitely one of the best arguments mind/brain non duality has going for it. One good way of seeing how something works is to see what happens when things go wrong.

If there was a non physical "soul", then it wouldn't be affected by such major changes in the brain, right? If Terri Schiavo wasn't conscious, or at least didn't have an higher consciousness left after those areas of her brain were too damaged, then does she still have a soul? Do animals with a similar level of conscious have souls?

What the hell is this "soul" people speak of? ???

As for the underlined bit, it has more to do with the dualism versus monism debate, not really atheism versus theism. There are a few atheists who are dualists, Chalmers among them. I'm probably just nit-picking, but i think it's an important distinction.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

This is a very sad and scary state that I hope none of my friends or loved ones ever go through.
What the hell is a soul anyway?
It really makes no sense. I really do like this thread OP. It shows more proof about  realistic thinking.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 25, 2011, 04:48:20 AM

I've eaten quite a few, they are nice with lemon.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 25, 2011, 05:08:45 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 25, 2011, 04:48:20 AM

I've eaten quite a few, they are nice with lemon.

LOL

"Soul", not sole! :P

But maybe you're onto something. Souls are what god tramples on on a daily basis. Just as good an answer as any ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Ecurb Noselrub

An alternative Christian perspective is that there is no such thing as a soul apart from a living, healthy  brain, and the Christian's hope is in resurrection of the body (like Jesus) as opposed to the eternal existence of a disembodied soul.  I happen to think that PVS, and even sleep or other forms of unconsciousness, are pretty good arguments against the existence of a soul, but they have nothing to do with the concept of resurrection.

OldGit

Doesn't that make it hard to accept heaven and hell?  Or do you wait and go there bodily once you've been resurrected?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: OldGit on December 25, 2011, 06:00:55 PM
Doesn't that make it hard to accept heaven and hell?  Or do you wait and go there bodily once you've been resurrected?

"Heaven" is on a perfect earth. We don't stop being humans.  "Hell" is simply death - no eternal torment.  There is judgment after resurrection, but I perceive of an adverse judgment as being something like prison here.  It's not forever.

Heisenberg

"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low"-John Lennon

Sweetdeath

Wow, Korea~  I totally wanna go there. XD yes , the only Seoul I believe in is in Korea.

The Magic Pudding

I don't mind soul as something a human has more or less of but isn't eternal or magical obviously.
I'll have to work on a recipe.

A dollop of empathy.
A jar of approved music appreciation.
A tablespoon of generosity.
A large refined or raw appreciation for beauty.

I'm not sure what else, but I don't think I'll recognise bad souls, just a lack of soul.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 25, 2011, 05:01:47 PM
An alternative Christian perspective is that there is no such thing as a soul apart from a living, healthy  brain, and the Christian's hope is in resurrection of the body (like Jesus) as opposed to the eternal existence of a disembodied soul.  I happen to think that PVS, and even sleep or other forms of unconsciousness, are pretty good arguments against the existence of a soul, but they have nothing to do with the concept of resurrection.

Ah right, resurrection of the body - you believe in that...

Dead people stay dead.

Now what?
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Gawen

Quote from: Heisenberg
Or possibly this

Ohhhhhh...good one!!
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor