News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Persistant vegatative state and the soul

Started by yodachoda, December 25, 2011, 03:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

Matthew 10:28: And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Funny how, in ancient times the soul and body were separate. Funny as well that the heart was the organ where 'thinking' came from...not the brain...until the Catholics figured out that chopping off a persons head would prevent them entrance to Heaven.

There is also a belief in full body resurrection, as Bruce says above. Of course, one must believe in magic to believe in full body resurrection (let alone partial body resurrection...or even no body resurrection). And this magic must be strong indeed to be able to piece together a body that's been blown or hacked apart into itty bitty pieces (including the brain), several hundred years ago and never found enough parts to bury or left in a field. And what about all those buried in a mass grave? That magic must be powerful in order to piece the bone jigsaw puzzle together. Ah, but that magic must be near ultimate to give a zombie the same body it had when when "alive" who was burnt at the stake, a body never found in a chemical fire or vaporized in Hiroshima.

I mean really, one could take the analogy that when we die we become dehydrated unthinking, unknowing clumps of hard invisible meat and some god pours sufficient magic water into us and viola' - a perfectly working human that doesn't have any wants or needs (doesn't want to eat or need to defecate, for example) other than to sing praises unto that god for eternity, or as Tertullian suggests, gloat at those suffering eternal full body resurrection in Hell.

Christianity is a death cult and if Tertullian was right, it's even a death cult when your resurrected.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

But buuuut, what if you're a good Christian but die in a horrible murder or a accident?

Most people die in.ways that ruin their bodies. Believing in ressurection makes no sense!! Haha :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 26, 2011, 11:00:14 PM
But buuuut, what if you're a good Christian but die in a horrible murder or a accident?

Most people die in.ways that ruin their bodies. Believing in ressurection makes no sense!! Haha :D
Precisely my point, unless one believes in magic...
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor