News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: IT'S A MATTER OF DEGREE ...... side track

Started by Ateo, January 06, 2012, 10:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ateo

Oh my god .... 50 posts ?  Well not really my god, my god runs a dairy queen over on 5th street.

The inquisition lasted for roughly 640 years and spread across all of Europe. There are instances of entire villages being wiped out. The beauty of it was that they normally tortured the individual for several days before burning them. This site quotes the 50 million number, if you find clips influenced or made by the catholic church, the number becomes ridiculously low, under 100 thousand. The last time the church use their power to torture and kill was in the 1940's during WW II when they killed 900,000. There are several parts, watch as much as you can tolerate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_FCW6IybxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5mSnXp5Vg

On the lighter side for our theists, blasphemy is a victimless crime.

EDIT: Topic split from introduction and moved to Religion - Tank.
"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."

Tank

Quote from: Ateo on January 06, 2012, 10:47:05 AM
Oh my god .... 50 posts ?  Well not really my god, my god runs a dairy queen over on 5th street.

The inquisition lasted for roughly 640 years and spread across all of Europe. There are instances of entire villages being wiped out. The beauty of it was that they normally tortured the individual for several days before burning them. This site quotes the 50 million number, if you find clips influenced or made by the catholic church, the number becomes ridiculously low, under 100 thousand. The last time the church use their power to torture and kill was in the 1940's during WW II when they killed 900,000. There are several parts, watch as much as you can tolerate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_FCW6IybxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5mSnXp5Vg

On the lighter side for our theists, blasphemy is a victimless crime.

Don't panic! It's only 10 posts now!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2012, 10:48:00 AM

This doesn't seem to be getting through, can the title of "Should the 50 post restriction be lifted?" be changed or unstickied or something?
Where else are people getting the idea the 50 post rule is still in effect?

Recusant

This "50 million killed by the Inquisition" statement is an old bit of anti-Catholic propaganda produced by Protestant scholars. If you do some research into how that particular number was arrived at, you will find that it includes estimates of the total number of dead during the 30 Years' War, for instance. In other words, if large numbers of people died, and the Catholics were involved, then the estimate of the number is used in adding up to arrive at the 50 million figure. You can also find similar methods used to arrive at an even more impressive number which can be found in Protestant propaganda: the Catholic church has been responsible for at least 100 million deaths!

I am not a defender of the Catholic church, but neither am I willing to accept such sensationalist and wildly inaccurate statements merely to have a convenient club with which I may beat on religion.

For reference, one can read David Plaisted's "Estimates of the Number Killed by the Papacy in the Middle Ages and Later" (DOC file: you will need Open Office or Microsoft Word to view; alternatively if you're using Google Chrome you can open the Quick View version). Plaisted is a Protestant Creationist who essentially supports the 50 million figure, but in his chapter discussing it, he examines how it was arrived at.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 06, 2012, 11:28:33 AM
Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2012, 10:48:00 AM

This doesn't seem to be getting through, can the title of "Should the 50 post restriction be lifted?" be changed or unstickied or something?
Where else are people getting the idea the 50 post rule is still in effect?
I've moved it out of sight.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2012, 01:13:21 PM

Tank be praised.
I'll sacrifice a chicken in your honour.

Well actually I'll cut of the neck and give it to the dog, bake it, eat it and toss away the bones, but I'll be thinken of ya all the while.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 06, 2012, 01:52:42 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 06, 2012, 01:13:21 PM

Tank be praised.
I'll sacrifice a chicken in your honour.

Well actually I'll cut of the neck and give it to the dog, bake it, eat it and toss away the bones, but I'll be thinken of ya all the while.
Your sacrifice is recieved in the spirit in which it is given  ;D

Ateo

Recusant .... I read the 50 million number and didn't research it any further. Primarily because whatever the number is, it doesn't prove there is no god. It just shows the huge degree of evil   that has always been associated with the catholic church. They were responsible for overseeing the death of 900,000 during the second world war, that would be 5 1/2 percent of the 50 mill. Geez .... didn't check the 9 hundred out either.

Tank .... I am aware that I did post in this, the religion area, by fluke, while still doing your ten in introductions. Nice being in here legally, heh heh.
"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."