News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

World's first programmable quantum chip

Started by Tom62, December 12, 2011, 05:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

QuoteA team of engineering geniuses from the University of Bristol, England has developed the world's first re-programmable, multi-purpose quantum photonic computer chip that relies on quantum entanglement to perform calculations. Most importantly, though, unlike existing quantum photonic setups which require apparatus the size of a "large dining table," this new chip is tiny: just 70mm (2.7 inches) by 3mm (pictured below) — not exactly a 22nm component size, then, but small enough to squeeze inside a computer; and really, that's the whole point. This chip, fundamentally, is like a very basic electronic chip, but for light. This chip, for the first time, brings the possibility of quantum computing to home and mobile computers.
Source: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/108573-worlds-first-programmable-quantum-photonic-chip
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Pharaoh Cat

Cool!  Now I want a sci-fi story where the proliferation of quantum entanglement events inside computers does something very unexpected to the universe, like, say, open up a wormhole from the Earth to some other planet where quantum entanglement computing has also just started...
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

xSilverPhinx

Moore's Law...meh ;D

The reality is that the same thing can be at two places at once, and so can do more things at once than a normal non entangled chip...who would've thought it! ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crocoduck

I tried reading Entanglement by Amir Aczel but it made my brain hurt.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Happy_Is_Good

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 12, 2011, 10:01:48 AM
Cool!  Now I want a sci-fi story where the proliferation of quantum entanglement events inside computers does something very unexpected to the universe, like, say, open up a wormhole from the Earth to some other planet where quantum entanglement computing has also just started...

Nope...it just won't do that.  I studied optical computing way back in the late 1980's and I am amazed that the subject holds so much fascination today, for it certainly has not seemed to have advanced much since then!

Back in the 1980's we were experimenting with electrically-modulated, Mach-Zehnder Interferometers and, from reading this universities website, they are doing much the same today (except overcoming a lot lower signal-to-noise ratio than we would have conceived as practical.).  Nevertheless, I'd love to see their photon detectors....I mean they must be liquid cooled (nitrogen, at least) and HUGE - and so must the photonic source be huge!  We would have never considered such impractical stuff!

When we were working with Lithium Niobate technology back in the 1980's, the signal-to-noise ratio screwed us, and I figure it is still the same with the so-called current "Silicon" technology or these guys would be talking about how they overcame the signal-to-noise ratio problem instead of using such confusing terms as "Quantum Entaglement" - which mean nothing other than simple "Optical Diffraction" to these guys (at least what I could tell form the diagrams at the university website).

Today, we have electro-optic driven Mach-Zehnder Interferometers on sale on the market: and they are very fast.  I just don't know why anyone would want one, for the optical signal-to-noise ratio associated with these devices are still a bitch.  Nevertheless, they exist....although they are not what makes these ultra-fast optical modulators run the internet by a very long shot - and may never well be for a long time.

All I am saying is this...just don't get too excited yet about these so-called "Breakthroughs".   There is way to much hype, and too little substance right now.

Eventually, it will happen...just not yet.