Things to do on a Sunday (or Friday if you're an ex-Muslim)

Started by Tank, December 11, 2011, 01:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: OldGit on December 11, 2011, 02:45:35 PM
Take a loudhailer to the churchyard.  Hide behind a gravestone and bellow, "Come forth, ye sinners, for I am the lord your god and ye are doing it all wrong...."

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to hide on the roof?
Though a hidden ledge below a cliff has a wicked appeal.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on December 11, 2011, 01:18:41 PM
So what do ex-(insert name of institutionalised superstition)'s do on the sabath they used to observe?

On a cold winter day, stay in bed and read, possibly with a cup of hot tea or cocoa at hand.  On warmer days, go out and get the grocery shopping done and then tidy the apartment (which I find a very zen activity).  If it's been hectic at work, zip in for a few hours of OT.  And sometimes drop in at the local UU church, if there's an interesting topic scheduled.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 11, 2011, 11:39:27 PM
And sometimes drop in at the local UU church, if there's an interesting topic scheduled.

I wonder if anyone else does that.  I almost started a thread to ask, then realized this very thread serves that purpose, as evidenced by your post! ;)

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

squidfetish

Quote from: Tank on December 11, 2011, 06:37:47 PM
Quote from: squidfetish on December 11, 2011, 06:15:03 PM
I was all motivated for good surf this afternoon but the wind ruined any chance.  White water as far as the eye could see. Gah...  :(
What with the rain and your mountain bike your not having the best of days are you?

No. I tried though... *shrug*   :-\
reptilian overlord

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 12, 2011, 10:14:46 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 11, 2011, 11:39:27 PM
And sometimes drop in at the local UU church, if there's an interesting topic scheduled.

I wonder if anyone else does that.  I almost started a thread to ask, then realized this very thread serves that purpose, as evidenced by your post! ;)

Our local UU recently got a new preacher, and I'm seriously considering getting up early on Xmas to go hear her.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Enrique

Sleep, sleep and sleep. Go to the movies, to a restaurant and more things with my girlfriend.

Sweetdeath

There are never any good movies on t.v. I usually sleep in, eat a late lunch, then do whatever the day takes me.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Happy_Is_Good

As a young man, long after I gave up on Religion, I used to sing in a Church Choir.  I like singing the hymms, and I liked all the pretty girls.  When girls get that so-called "Holy Spirit" in them, they often become quite friendly - if ya' know what I mean (and especially after the evening services). 

My father, an Atheist, soon caught on and said he did the same thing when he was a young man.  Dad said it was, "...one of the advantages of being a Choir Boy".

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on December 13, 2011, 04:05:43 AM
As a young man, long after I gave up on Religion, I used to sing in a Church Choir.  I like singing the hymms, and I liked all the pretty girls.  When girls get that so-called "Holy Spirit" in them, they often become quite friendly - if ya' know what I mean (and especially after the evening services). 

My father, an Atheist, soon caught on and said he did the same thing when he was a young man.  Dad said it was, "...one of the advantages of being a Choir Boy".

Are you sure you're not a believer, come to lure us back to church?
I have to admit this is the best argument I've heard for it so far.

Tank

I used to know a chap who played the organ at church for years while not a believer simply because he liked playing the organ, he never told them he wasn't a believer and stopped going. Which I thought was a daft really as he didn't give them a chance to say it was Okay for him to continue even if he was an atheist. AFAIK they hadn't found a suitable replacement within a year of him leaving.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

kimberlyfaith81

Quote from: Tank on December 13, 2011, 09:50:30 AM

I used to know a chap who played the organ at church for years while not a believer simply because he liked playing the organ, he never told them he wasn't a believer and stopped going. Which I thought was a daft really as he didn't give them a chance to say it was Okay for him to continue even if he was an atheist. AFAIK they hadn't found a suitable replacement within a year of him leaving.

I'm thinking if they'd found out he was an atheist without his direct admission, they probably would have kept him a while.  The church my family belongs to had a homosexual music minister for years.   Southern Baptist church, definitely anti-homosexual. Most knew he was gay, but half of them didn't care.  I thought the church would split before they finally got the nerve to fire him.  But really, he was the best music minister they could have asked for.  Excellent music, gorgeous decorations, fun activities.  He'd planned a cruise with the elderly ladies in the church.  After they fired him, the elderly ladies still went on the cruise with him.  I think what did him in was using the church van to 'pick up' Hispanic men as part of the "Hispanic Outreach".  Otherwise, I have no doubt he'd still be there.  He's "ministering" in another church about 40 miles away now.  Maybe they put in his contract to only pick up men in his own vehicle. 

I kinda miss him.  The few times I've been, it isn't the same without him.  His purple suits, his peppy music.       

unholy1971

Read the bible, and make a make a list of all the contridictions you encounter, you'll need a lot of paper though.  :D

Asmodean

That's already been done more times than an Asmo could count, and Asmos, they can count all the way to plenty.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Light

I usually catch some football on TV.  Well, course you'd have to be in the U.S. and it's this time of year.