News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Technically agnostic, but......

Started by Brent, December 07, 2011, 05:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

Sup everyone?
I live in the heart of the bible belt, I just quit the faith thing, I want to learn.

I say agnostic because so far nothing I've seen has technically disproven the existence of a god.  I say "but...." because I honestly don't think it matters if one exists at this point. 
Quote from: Thomas JeffersonEvery generation needs a new revolution.

Quote from: Giovanni AuditoreA day will come when men no longer lie and cheat each other. And on that day, we will see what mankind is truly capable of.

not your typical...

Hi Brent. Sad to hear about the whole center-of-the-Bible-belt thing. Good luck with that. I can guarantee that you will most definitely be enlightened by the knowledge here. Once joining HAF, faith will never be looked at the same way again. Can't wait for you to reach your tenth post so we can really start a conversation. :) Oh, and be warned, some of us are a bit strange... ;)
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Brent

I love strange people.  I'm new here, but not to the internet.. If you know what I mean.
Internet exposure is basically why I'm here.

Is there much political discussion here?

I love how fast this forum is btw.  How did they get it so fast, PHP5?

Quote from: Giovanni AuditoreA day will come when men no longer lie and cheat each other. And on that day, we will see what mankind is truly capable of.

not your typical...

Quote from: Brent on December 07, 2011, 05:48:23 AM
I love strange people.  I'm new here, but not to the internet.. If you know what I mean.
Internet exposure is basically why I'm here.

I love how fast this forum is btw.  How did they get it so fast, PHP5?
Good to hear, because we are quite strange. You'll probably notince that by your 20th post though.
Yes there are a lot of good discussions here. As for what you said with the whole teck-talk, I have no clue. Try asking Tank or Whitney whenever they decide to post on here and formally welcome you. :)
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

Happy_Is_Good

Quote from: Brent on December 07, 2011, 05:17:56 AM
Sup everyone?
I live in the heart of the bible belt, I just quit the faith thing, I want to learn.

I say agnostic because so far nothing I've seen has technically disproven the existence of a god.  I say "but...." because I honestly don't think it matters if one exists at this point. 

I can not disprove the existence of Jesus no more than I can disprove the existence of Santa Claus (but I do like Santa a lot better).  Nevertheless, this is the truth, and I am not convinced anyone can rightly prove anything more. 

Anyways...I live my life like Jesus don't exist and I suppose you live your life like Santa Clause don't exists (at least I hope ya' don't think Santa exists) - and I hope you live your life like Jesus does not exist, too!  As a result, I consider myself an Atheist, and I hope you consider yourself to be an Atheist.

Fair enough?

The Magic Pudding

We could do with a bit more, I don't know why we don't.
It's probably the regular merciless purges of wrong thinkers.

I love how fast this forum is btw.  How did they get it so fast, PHP5?

We have a mechanized mod with a wire brush attachment, he uses it to keep us shiny and streamlined.

Ah, I nearly forgot, welcome.

Tank

Hi Brent

Good thing you didn't try and join in Mid-August, the forum had pretty much been crippled by 25,000+ spammer accounts which once cleared out made things a lot better. ALL spammers usually get deleted in less than 12 hours, even the ones that don't post. We only have 2,700 real members and only a dozen or so active at any one time, that makes this place pretty intimate which is nice.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Squid

Hey Brent, welcome aboard.

Quote from: Brent on December 07, 2011, 05:48:23 AMI love how fast this forum is btw.  How did they get it so fast, PHP5?

Simple Machines Forum

OldGit

Brent

Quote from: Tank on December 07, 2011, 08:32:52 AM
Good thing you didn't try and join in Mid-August, the forum had pretty much been crippled by 25,000+ spammer accounts which once cleared out made things a lot better. ALL spammers usually get deleted in less than 12 hours, even the ones that don't post. We only have 2,700 real members and only a dozen or so active at any one time, that makes this place pretty intimate which is nice.
Spam is terrible, I was an admin on a board with about 10k members and we were reamed with fake accounts... Probably 15 new fake accounts created every day. 

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Too Few Lions

welcome to the forum Brent. I'm not sure if anyone ever will disprove the existence of a deity per se, but what I can say with near certainty is that the god of the Bible is a human creation, like Zeus, Baal or Isis.

Asmodean

Quote from: Brent on December 07, 2011, 12:41:45 PM
and we were reamed with fake accounts... Probably 15 new fake accounts created every day. 
Tank removes dozens of them every day, I suspect...

oO(...Because if he wasn't, he'd probably be amusing himself by changing people's user names or something)  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: not your typical... on December 07, 2011, 05:43:12 AM
Hi Brent. Sad to hear about the whole center-of-the-Bible-belt thing. Good luck with that. I can guarantee that you will most definitely be enlightened by the knowledge here. Once joining HAF, faith will never be looked at the same way again. Can't wait for you to reach your tenth post so we can really start a conversation. :) Oh, and be warned, some of us are a bit strange... ;)

Stange, I have no idea what you talking about  ::)

Welcome to the forum, hope there are some posts that you find interesting.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Whitney

Welcome to HAF, Brent.

You can thank tank for the forum speed; it was having serious lag issues and he figured out it was because we had too many spammer accounts bogging down the system.  I think it is also on php5 but that didn't seem to have any affect on the speed when I switched it a while back.

not your typical...

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 07, 2011, 01:50:47 PM
Quote from: not your typical... on December 07, 2011, 05:43:12 AM

Stange, I have no idea what you talking about  ::)
Sure you don't. Why would you ever? There's nothing odd about you in the slightest. *chokes on the lie* ;) ;D