News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Existential Malaise and the End of the Universe

Started by EdgeWiseInAnnArbor, December 06, 2011, 08:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdgeWiseInAnnArbor

Hello,
When I'm having bad days, I get depressed by the ultimate fate of the universe (heat death, etc.). I know it's silly to have anything so far in the future affect me, but it still undermines the meaning of life for me (or interferes with cultivating a life of meaning, in positive psychology terms). I don't mind that my life is an eyeblink, or that I am insignificant, but to think that humanity and all life is ultimately doomed to fail to entropy, makes me very sad.

I do appreciate how lucky we are to be animate matter, to possibly uniquely be the very mind of the universe. I appreciate that each story must come to an end, but I am saddened still.

Can anyone relate to this? Does anyone have a tonic?

I do fine with a life of engagement, and a life of enjoyment, but my life of meaning is sorely lacking. Thank you.

not your typical...

Quote from: EdgeWiseInAnnArbor on December 06, 2011, 08:30:28 PM
Hello there. unfortunately, I cannot offer you a tonic, but I can say that by examining your life and filtering out what it ultimately unnecessary and adding more things that make you feel happy, can at least dull the sense of lacking purpose. What do you love to do? That one thing you can't live without? Do it. Often. That is the only advice I can really offer my friend. And while I'm at it, welcome to HAF. Glad to have you.
*Is proud cuz she beat Tank to it* ;D
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Buddy

Welcome to the forum! I would have to agree with not your typical..., when I feel down, I go do my favorite activity and I will feel loads better.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Hi EWIAA

I think one's feeling of ultimate impotence in the face of nature/reality is the root of superstition and therefore institutionalised superstition (religion).

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Can anyone relate to this?

Welcome to HAF!

To answer your question, no, I can not. My life would more than likely have lost every single shread of significance long before the Universe we know ended, but it would not matter to me in any case, what with me being dead for who knows how many millions of years.

I guess I just don't look for meanings on a cosmic scale... The world we know and the time we live in is depressing enough.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Happy_Is_Good

EdgeWiseInAnnArbor,

Glad to see you here and sorry to here that a "Life of Meaning" is lacking.  

But...I think I can help.  See, years ago I think I discovered the "Meaning of Life", and I can also show you where to find it, too.  Yeah...I know that last statement seems arrogant on my part, why not consider it for a moment?

See...I figure the meaning of life is this: to Live, be Happy and Pass on some Goodness - as simple as that.  Not very Philosophical, huh?  Yep...it ain't.

Life begins and ends with a struggle.  We come into this world bald, confused, toothless and without bowl control - and that's how we leave.  That's the game of life, and from the game springs "Meaning".

Now...if you want to learn about the game, where do you go?  If ya' wanna' learn the Stock Market ya' go to New York, right?  Or...If ya' wanna learn how to gamble ya' go to Las Vegas, right?  I mean....aren't these the places where the "High-Stakes" games are played?

Consequently...if you want to learn about the "Meaning of Life", then what better place to go than a Hospital - where the "Stakes" are existential!?  In a Hospital, the winners get a new lease on life or, in the case of babies, a new life.  The losers get...all their chips taken away - forever.  

You go to a hospital and see this game - really see it - and it will probably help you see the "Meaning of Life".  Personally, when I truly realized the game, it was one of the happiest moments on my life.  I was walking out of a Hospital at the time, and I well remember how I felt.  I mean, on that partly cloudy day never had I seen the sky so blue.   Old people in wheel chairs and homely girls were beautiful.  The songs of the grayest sparrows were so sweet melodies.  Being alive felt good - for I realized life - a healthy life - was fleeting and so damned precious.  And I came to understand Life's Meaning.

This is just me.  I could be wrong.      

Why not go find out for yourself - it's don't cost nuthin'?

Crow

Does anyone have a tonic?

Crystal Meth :P

Hi EdgeWiseInAnnArbor, Welcome to HAF.

(wasn't being serious about the meth just in-case that didn't come across)
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

I try to have a very "in the moment" philosophy. Present experience is the most "real" of our experiences and most everything else (especially millions of years into the future) is conjecture.

If you want to get "deeper" than that, I'd just keep telling myself that everything that begins has an end and it's a waste of emotional energy to distress about the facts that you can't change.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

If life which stems from humans survives to see the last suns darken who knows what escape plans they may develop?
Of course your limitations don't apply to me, I'll just withdraw into pudding space where such limitations don't exist.

Hello

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

Not that I think this will help, or if it's even possible, but one guy I read about online had an interesting perspective on all of it: that one of our purposes, as the conscious part of the universe, it to eventually create other universes (assuming it can be done, of course).

Though I do see the merits of thinking long term, I'm going to repeat what the others have said so far, it's rather pointless to think that far into the future ;)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

BullyforBronto

Welcome aboard!

I love the title of this post.

When I was an undergrad (a thousand years ago now) I wrote a paper for one of my literary criticism courses titled "Popeye's Ontological Crisis: 'I Yam What I Yam.'" I think I even cited Nietzsche, Heidegger and Derrida in it. Ha! I was very ambitious.

I haven't thought about that paper in quite a while. Thanks! :D

Eat your spinach; you'll be fine.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BullyforBronto on December 07, 2011, 02:21:09 AM
Welcome aboard!

I love the title of this post.

When I was an undergrad (a thousand years ago now) I wrote a paper for one of my literary criticism courses titled "Popeye's Ontological Crisis: 'I Yam What I Yam.'" I think I even cited Nietzsche, Heidegger and Derrida in it. Ha! I was very ambitious.

I haven't thought about that paper in quite a while. Thanks! :D

Eat your spinach; you'll be fine.

What grade did you get for it? ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Too Few Lions

Welcome to the forum, I really wouldn't worry about things that will happen so far in the future. Just try to enjoy your life now, and find meaning and pleasure in the things around you.

Sandra Craft

I do fine with a life of engagement, and a life of enjoyment, but my life of meaning is sorely lacking. Thank you.

I don't think life has any meaning other than the one each of us gives it, so you need to get busy on that.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

mjolnir

I can relate.

The heat death of the universe would occur billions of years from now. If humanity can avoid destroying itself, and can continue advancing technologically - then my hope is that after billions of years of scientific and engineering advances, we will be advanced enough to control the fundamental forces of the universe and stop a heat death from occurring.