News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Existential Malaise and the End of the Universe

Started by EdgeWiseInAnnArbor, December 06, 2011, 08:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: mjolnir on December 08, 2011, 04:41:13 AM
Quote from: EdgeWiseInAnnArbor on December 06, 2011, 08:30:28 PM
Can anyone relate to this? Does anyone have a tonic?

I can relate.

The heat death of the universe would occur billions of years from now. If humanity can avoid destroying itself, and can continue advancing technologically - then my hope is that after billions of years of scientific and engineering advances, we will be advanced enough to control the fundamental forces of the universe and stop a heat death from occurring.
Trillions of years would be nearer the mark. The universe is still very early in its life cycle.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: Tank on December 08, 2011, 08:18:01 AM
Quote from: mjolnir on December 08, 2011, 04:41:13 AM
Quote from: EdgeWiseInAnnArbor on December 06, 2011, 08:30:28 PM
Can anyone relate to this? Does anyone have a tonic?

I can relate.

The heat death of the universe would occur billions of years from now. If humanity can avoid destroying itself, and can continue advancing technologically - then my hope is that after billions of years of scientific and engineering advances, we will be advanced enough to control the fundamental forces of the universe and stop a heat death from occurring.
Trillions of years would be nearer the mark. The universe is still very early in its life cycle.

I read a great book once called 'Time' (can't remember the author). This was a story of the death of the universe, spanning Trillions of years and what some advanced humans tried to do to stop it happening. Basically they couldn't, but ended up by 'farming' stars trying to bring about another big bang so that the universe could happen again in a certain way that was more sustainable. A very thought provoking story and requires a massive leap of imagination to comprehend - but massively worthwhile. I credit this book with opening my eyes to the wonderful insignificance of our little world, solar system, galaxy, galaxy group, galaxy cluster. And the insignificance of our planck-time of existence. Truly wonderful and a nihilistic pleasure!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

mjolnir

I agree, the time to total heat death would most likely be measured in trillions of years. However, I should clarify - I believe the furthest humans could survive without gaining mastery over the fundamental forces and dimensions of the universe, would most likely be measured in billions of years.

The time limit to settle other solar systems is somewhere around 5 billion years (due to the lifespan of the Sun).

It is also possible the Milky Way Galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy will collide in about 3 billion years. This could bring chaos to the Earth, and therefore humans may need to master inter-galactic travel within 3 billion years.

Siz

Quote from: mjolnir on December 08, 2011, 04:49:43 PM

I agree, the time to total heat death would most likely be measured in trillions of years. However, I should clarify - I believe the furthest humans could survive without gaining mastery over the fundamental forces and dimensions of the universe, would most likely be measured in billions of years.

The time limit to settle other solar systems is somewhere around 5 billion years (due to the lifespan of the Sun).

It is also possible the Milky Way Galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy will collide in about 3 billion years. This could bring chaos to the Earth, and therefore humans may need to master inter-galactic travel within 3 billion years.

Without being too negative (and I'm quite happy to accept a reasonable assertion), one might argue that it's not even possible, given the distances involved and the frailty and infinitesimal lifespan of humans. Faster than light travel, space-folding and hyperspace travel or any other concept that is required to make intergalactic travel feasable (or even inter-star-system travel) may simply not be possible.

It is, however, entirely possible that there have been (and will continue to be) millions of civilisations throughout the universe, but they are spread so far apart in distance and time that the likelihood of EVER meeting one in the same time and part of space is negligable. These civilisations are popping into existence and snuffing out all the time - just like us.

SETI has been active for some 27 years. If we look for even 10,000 years, what are the chances of finding a friend to say HELLO to within our event horizon? Bugger all! Are we really gonna be here in 10,000 years time? I think we're gonna need a sky-daddy...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: mjolnir on December 08, 2011, 04:49:43 PM

God you are a little ray of sunshine aren't you  :D
IMO if humanity makes it past 2,200 and still has a technological capability of functioning beyond scavenging and recycling it'll be nothing short of a miracle.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

OldGit

Jose AR

welcome to the club. Yes all life will end, humanity will end, the earth will end. This is how things are. This actually gives you permission to enjoy life! eat some ice cream, go look at some trees or birds, hold hands with someone. You will die once, for sure, but don't count the days down in despair, then you are paying for your life twice, don't die twice. The monotheisms want us to suffer, and despair, and feel guilt and shame, don't give in! Wear clothing that is too bright, whistle while you walk, cultivate your reason.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on December 08, 2011, 05:31:16 PM
2200?  Blimey, Tank, you're an optimist.  :(
We do have younglings here who have got to live through the next 50/60 years. I have no idea what my grandson is going to experience in his lifetime.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 08, 2011, 05:58:26 PM
I have no idea what my grandson is going to experience in his lifetime.
Well, those who claim to see the future are liars, delusional or good with statistics and prone to gambling.

However, I think the changes will come gradually enough that those who live to experience them will still consider them a part of the only world they know... You can't really miss what you've never had. Then again, maybe the future will be a nicer time than the present. Unlikely, but still... In that case, that which we never had is ours not to miss.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

We do have younglings here who have got to live through the next 50/60 years. I have no idea what my grandson is going to experience in his lifetime.

You never know, we could end up like the people in WALL-E that just live in a huge spaceship  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on December 08, 2011, 06:02:55 PM
I have no idea what my grandson is going to experience in his lifetime.
Well, those who claim to see the future are liars, delusional or good with statistics and prone to gambling.

However, I think the changes will come gradually enough that those who live to experience them will still consider them a part of the only world they know... You can't really miss what you've never had. Then again, maybe the future will be a nicer time than the present. Unlikely, but still... In that case, that which we never had is ours not to miss.
Asmolosophy at its finest.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 08, 2011, 06:04:19 PM

You never know, we could end up like the people in WALL-E that just live in a huge spaceship  ;D
Could be. WALL-E is one of my favourite films ever. The space dance with the fire extinguisher is just wonderful.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on December 08, 2011, 06:05:56 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 08, 2011, 06:04:19 PM

Could be. WALL-E is one of my favourite films ever. The space dance with the fire extinguisher is just wonderful.

We watched it in my agriculture science class last year. I really enjoyed it, and it made me think about trying to help cut back unneeded waste.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 08, 2011, 06:04:57 PM
Asmolosophy at its finest.
Well... The Asmo is actually much wiser than he normally appears to be. :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Quote from: TankI have no idea what my grandson is going to experience in his lifetime.

I have that worry, too.