News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

So what DO you think of Jesus?

Started by Phren-Seeker, December 05, 2011, 12:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phren-Seeker

I did ask a follow-up question: Have you read the New Testament?

Truth is what we as humans can rely on, something that is outside the "black box" of our existence.  There is both subjective and objective truth.  Subjective truth includes stuff like opinions ... "I like chocolate ice cream" for example.  Objective truth includes facts that are independent of personal belief or opinion ... "the earth is round" for example.  

Phren-Seeker

You guys have answered my questions.  Thank you. 
I'm out for the night.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Phren-Seeker on December 05, 2011, 06:12:11 AM
I did ask a follow-up question: Have you read the New Testament?

Truth is what we as humans can rely on, something that is outside the "black box" of our existence.  There is both subjective and objective truth.  Subjective truth includes stuff like opinions ... "I like chocolate ice cream" for example.  Objective truth includes facts that are independent of personal belief or opinion ... "the earth is round" for example.

Personal beliefs or opinions based on facts are still truth.  "I like chocolate ice cream" is true if you like chocolate ice cream.  If you say it but don't like chocolate ice cream, it's not a statement of fact and don't complain when you're offered a big bowl of choclate ice cream for dessert.  Lies are not a statement of fact so they are not truth.  Whether subjective or objective truth still remains a statement of genuine fact.

Your New Testament question had nothing to do with my reply to your initial question so, to me, it's not a follow-up, it's changing the subject.  Still, yes, it was required reading in the Roman Catholic school I attented as a child and it was read to us by the nuns and priests that populated the schoool and the attached church and rectory.  

Also, I find it amusing that a 2000 year old book is still being called New.  By now it should be the Old testament and the Old Testament should be re-titled the Really Old Testament.

Just my $0.02
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

MadBomr101

We're done?  See hat felt like sex without an orgasm - unfinished.   :(
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Tank

Jesus Christ is a fictitious archetype, no different from Obi Kanobi in Star Wars. In fact George Lucas carried out archetype research before writing Star Wars to make sure he had characters that 'ticked all the boxes' for people in terms of moral certitude.

If you are interested then the thread 'Why God' may interest you.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Phren-Seeker on December 05, 2011, 12:29:12 AM
What do you think of Jesus Christ?    
Most likely fictional, possibly mentally ill and in any case long since dead Palestinian dude. That is pretty much all I thinbk of Jesus.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Too Few Lions

I think Jesus as he stands is a creation of Christianity, and originally probably a creation of some very Hellenised Jews. If there was a historical figure that the gospels stories were based on, I find it hard to disentangle him from all the mythology contained therein. The figure in the gospels appears to me to be an attempt to create a son of Yahweh similar to the numerous sons of Zeus around at the time, and to also create a Jewish suffering hero and philosopher. These Greek archetypes were then combined with the Jewish concept of the Messiah to create the biblical figure of Jesus.

as for the truth, I'll just stick to the dictionary definition;

1.The quality or state of being true.
2.That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.

as a Christian, your own personal idea of 'the truth' probably won't comply with point 2!

OldGit

I reckon there may well have been a historical Jesus.  There were scads of odd preachers wandering about in that area.  What he actually said and did is probably beyond our reconstructing now, it's been so edited and added to and very likely pruned as well.  Not even a christian can claim that we are told much about his life.
The basic concept of a rational, loving god requiring a blood sacrifice to let us off a hook of his own making - that's beyond sick.  Even if he did suffer it himself.  Whoever bolted that bit onto the story was pretty warped.

DeterminedJuliet

He was the good basis of a catchy musical  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Davin

What do I think of Jesus? I don't have much thought of Jesus any more. I'm not sure when that started, but it's been at least a decade.

What is truth? Truth is reality, it is what happened, how things work and how things are.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Crow

I think he may have existed but if so was nothing more than a disciple of John the Baptist and continued to preach those teachings after his death. I do not think he was a son of any kind of god. The Christian version of Jesus is nothing more than mythology that arose well after the time of his supposed death, the teachings were nothing great, in some places fucked up (sermon on the mount I'm looking at you) and actions even though nice don't inspire me in the slightest.

I categorize the Jesus myth the same as I do Heracles, Theseus, Achilles, Hanuman, Garuda, Gilgamesh, Memnon and Cúchulainn, they have all had an effect on culture that remains today; Gilgamesh I could argue has had the most impact on Judaism, Christianity, and Islam due to the epic of Gilgamesh stories that appear in Genesis.

It doesn't really matter if he was a real person or not to me as I have gained nothing from reading about his teachings or actions. In regards to his sufferings well he didn't really suffer that much, sure what was alleged to have happened wasn't nice in the slightest but it was mostly self-inflicted (most likely why certain christian monks hurt themselves). The concept of god sending part of himself to be killed for redemption of sins that he imposed on humanity is beyond stupidity especially considering that the concept of the christian god is all knowing, borrowing Ed's mathematical metaphor the logic equates rather than just forgiving that the person owed him money, he decided to burn some of his own money so he could forgive, so humans: -30 + 30 = 0, god: 30 - 30 - 30 = -30 maybe he wasn't a good mathematician after all because he is now worse off.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Davin on December 05, 2011, 04:35:41 PM
What is truth? Truth is reality, it is what happened, how things work and how things are.
...or a personal perception thereof (Just to save me some typing, in case the OP still wants my opinion)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

I think Jesus is a mixture of 10% historical persons and 90% myth.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 05, 2011, 12:23:34 PM
He was the good basis of a catchy musical  ;D

Now I have that song in my head. XD
Didn't he make out with Judas?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

Jesus was a dude who probably existed thousands of years ago, before my father and father's father father was even born.
He's not even attractive or interesting, and yet people want me to  ask for redemption for a "crime" that happened before I even existed.

Anyway, he's lame.
At least the epic of gilgamesh story has many sexy versions, and even gorgeous fanart.

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.