News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

So what DO you think of Jesus?

Started by Phren-Seeker, December 05, 2011, 12:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phren-Seeker

This is my first real post.  I know the rules have me limited to the "Laid Back Lounge". . . if I could have, I would have posted this in a different thread.  But I'm a curious college kid, so here goes.  I said I didn't want to argue - I didn't say I'd ask easy questions.  Here's my first one.

What do you think of Jesus Christ?    

I'm saddened that in some Christian circles, atheists have been stereotyped as thoughtless individuals.  I don't believe this is true.  Tell me what you think of Jesus.

EDIT: This is a mearged thread so continuity may be a little odd for the first couple of pages. Tank  

Phren-Seeker

Hey guys,

Just been reading more of everyone's thoughts.  If this question needs to wait for the "big" forums, so be it.  I'll wait.  And post.

Sorry I didn't catch that rule before posting.  Good rule, though!  :)

The Magic Pudding

I do like a good Wensleydale.

Caution!
Ed is getting his number thinken pencil out again.

SuperiorEd

Quote from: Phren-Seeker on December 05, 2011, 12:29:12 AM
This is my first real post.  I know the rules have me limited to the "Laid Back Lounge". . . if I could have, I would have posted this in a different thread.  But I'm a curious college kid, so here goes.  I said I didn't want to argue - I didn't say I'd ask easy questions.  Here's my first one.

What do you think of Jesus Christ?    

I'm saddened that in some Christian circles, atheists have been stereotyped as thoughtless individuals.  I don't believe this is true.  Tell me what you think of Jesus. 

I am thinking that Jesus is good with multiplication. 

Consider this example:  In mathematics, if you owe three people $10, then you are negative $30 (3 X -10 = $-30). If the lenders then say, "We forgive you for this debt because we love you," then you are free from that debt by another negative.  You have just had three subtractions of -10, making you three positives of $10 (-3 X -$10). Your debt is -30 + 30 = Zero.  Jesus died a horrible death to pay our debt, walking us back to a positive value.  This is because two negatives multiplied make a positive.  This is payment of debt. 

I also think that this was the ultimate act of friendship and what a good Father does for a son.  Why a Father and son?  If God is the Father of Jesus, that makes us grandchildren.  We are kinsmen since Jesus took on the form of a man.  According to the Jubilee laws, we cannot be transferred to  a new master unless the one redeeming us is a kinsmen.  This is Leviticus law.  God required Himself, by His own laws, to become a man.  Payment is required.  How did he have enough to redeem the entire human race?  God requires our works to others in love as the wage we earn.  Sin makes puts us in debt to the master of sin and death.  Jesus suffered every step to earn what was necessary to all a change in masters.  He redeems us, according to law, and we can allow our kinsmen to redeem our debt.  God now sees us in light of our new master, as bond-servants of Christ.  As servants, we are to do good works to others in faith.  Our service is acceptable when we honor the master. 

That's what I think.  Glad you asked. 

Phren-Seeker

Thanks for your answer, SuperiorEd!  I gather that you're not an atheist, right?  How long have you held you're current view of Christ?

Phren-Seeker

Hey everyone,

I'm not here to stay.

I said in my introduction that I had a couple questions.  They're not easy, but here they are.

What do you think of Jesus Christ?  And - whatever your opinion - how long have you had it?

Yes, I'll be honest: this is a class assignment.  But I'm sadden to hear that within some circles, atheists have been stereotyped as unthoughtful individuals.  I don't think this has to be the case.  Prove me wrong.

Phren-Seeker

You know what?  I'd rather ask this of someone face-to-face.  I don't want to use this site as a place to furnish myself with required research.  But thanks for letting me post here.  Maybe you will think about my question.  I hope so.  While you're at it, consider this too. 

What is truth?  (And remember..."there isn't any" doesn't count: it itself is a truth-claim.)

Know the answer and you'll be free.

MadBomr101

First, since you state that atheists don't have to be unthoughtful, proving you wrong means proving that we ARE unthoughtful.  I'd rather prove you right.

But, anyway...

- What do you think of Jesus Christ?  And - whatever your opinion - how long have you had it?

Jesus Christ the man or Jesus Christ the son of the magical space daddy in the sky?  Frankly, I don't think much of either since there's no compelling evidence to support the existence of either one.  Jesus Christ the man exists nowhere in history outside of the bible or various other religious documents and the same can certainly be said for Jesus Christ the divine superhero.  You might then ask "Well, why isn't the bible a credible source of evidence?  It's just loaded with references to Jesus v0.1 the man and Jesus v0.2 the Son of God.  Why can't you accept this as overwhelming proof of the truth of both Jesus...es?"  Because the bible has hardly proven itself to be a credible source of history or even logic.  It's laden with inconsistencies, fallacies, and just plain whacko fantasy.  Referencing a greatly outdated book filled with apocryphal and preposterous claims that is clearly a product of its primitive times isn't going to win any arguments among atheists and it certainly isn't going to sway anyone who recognizes the value of rational thought.

I've held this view for about 20 years now and I came to embrace atheism after I stopped just believing what my religious leaders had been telling me since shildhood and started questioning what they had been telling me instead.  Obviously, the answers in support of continued faith came up woefully short.

You need to post your grade here after you get it so we can all see what we got.   ;D
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Ellainix

I've never met this man. I'd rather not repeat hearsay.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Phren-Seeker on December 05, 2011, 05:01:32 AM
You know what?  I'd rather ask this of someone face-to-face.  I don't want to use this site as a place to furnish myself with required research.  But thanks for letting me post here.  Maybe you will think about my question.  I hope so.  While you're at it, consider this too. 

What is truth?  (And remember..."there isn't any" doesn't count: it itself is a truth-claim.)

Know the answer and you'll be free.

He/She bailed?

I wrote that well thought out response and he/she bailed?  Well now I'm even MORE irritated with Xians.   ::)
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Phren-Seeker

I haven't bailed.  Thank you for your response.  I'm not here to argue.  (I posted elsewhere that I'm doing this for a class assignment.)

Have you read the New Testament?

Phren-Seeker

I understand that you do not believe the Bible to be divinely inspired. 

What do you think of my other question?  What is truth?

MadBomr101

Quote from: Phren-Seeker on December 05, 2011, 05:45:39 AM
I haven't bailed.  Thank you for your response.  I'm not here to argue.  (I posted elsewhere that I'm doing this for a class assignment.)

Have you read the New Testament?

I'm not here to argue either.  You asked a direct question and I provided a considered response.  You have no follow up questions based on my reply?
- Bomr

MadBomr101

Quote from: Phren-Seeker on December 05, 2011, 05:48:58 AMWhat do you think of my other question?  What is truth?

Truth is a statement of fact.  Now, what do you think truth is?
- Bomr

xSilverPhinx

I think that if there was a historical Jesus (which I'm inclined to think there might have been) the stories about him in the bible are the result partly of his actions and teachings, the actions and teachings of others and part myth/legend. Saying that the bible is true or is a biographical record is a bit of a stretch.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey