News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

the end of god

Started by Too Few Lions, November 17, 2011, 12:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Few Lions

I saw this on BBC4 last week, I don't know if anyone else caught it. It was a really interesting Horizon documentary on the conflict between science and religion, and how science is starting to explain the belief in god and also fill in those gaps in scientific theories where believers like to claim he still lurks. It's a really good documentary, using footage from over 30 odd years of 'Horizon' TV shows, and seeing Richard Dawkins don the 'God helmet'  is worth the admission price alone!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tw1tl/The_End_of_God_A_Horizon_Guide_to_Science_and_Religion/

sorry to all the non-UK folks, I think you'll have to use a proxy server if you want to watch it.

Tank

I shall watch that later.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Yes, I saw it and thought it was good.  Bit by bit plugging away at the gaps, as TFL says.  It was a bit self-congratulatory, but made the point that  Horizon has consistently been on the right side.

Buddy

Shame I can't watch it here, I miss the BBC  :-\ I may try a proxy tonight
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 17, 2011, 04:10:08 PM
Shame I can't watch it here, I miss the BBC  :-\ I may try a proxy tonight

See if your parents will stump up the monthly cost of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and get it based in the UK then you can get the BBC iPlayer and More 4 plus some others.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Willow

xSilverPhinx

Check youtube, there are always episodes that have been uploaded by users and that are not blocked due to copyright.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey