News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

A wild Fi appears!

Started by Fi, November 19, 2011, 05:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fi

Greeting pies! I'm Fi!

I'm a 20-year-old art student from rainy old Oregon, USA. I'm sure my deconversion story is nothing special, but here it is: I was raised Lutheran at the behest with my grandparents, and I hated it. I never felt anything when I prayed and I always felt like everything that came out of my mouth in Sunday School was lies (and some of it was, of course, to save face). I did a lot of holier-than-thou posturing to make up for my inner turmoil. It was sad and pathetic, like a small dog yapping at a cement mixer. In the rain.

The most distressing part was prayer. I have anxiety issues and always have, and sometimes the symptoms turn physical. I also have the least threatening immune system ever. I spent half my childhood throwing up and the other half wondering when I'd throw up again. As you might imagine, my pleas for healing were met with silence.

I was twelve when I really discovered the internet, and that was when I witnessed my first atheist-vs-christians debates. At first I was angry, and then... just reading these other people's arguments started to loosen the cracks in the wall Christianity had left around my mind. I didn't even participate, I just watched as other Christians made my arguments for me, and failed miserably. I realized I could not logically and objectively prove that God existed. I had no reason to hang on to this idea. It was illogical and all it was doing was weighing me down. Also the Christian god was a big jerk and I didn't want to go to his stupid jerk heaven anyway.

The walls crumbled. My world is so much bigger now, and while it's depressing sometimes (I really honestly feel bad for my religious friends who worry about me...), I have a much happier outlook on life.

So that's me. How are you guys? :D

Recusant

Quote from: Fi on November 19, 2011, 05:55:56 AMHow are you guys?

Good, Fi, thanks for asking.

Hello and welcome to HAF. I really like your image of the small dog yapping at a cement mixer. In the rain. I've known one or two like that; it definitely brought a smile to my face.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Fi

Quote from: Recusant on November 19, 2011, 06:35:21 AM
Quote from: Fi on November 19, 2011, 05:55:56 AMHow are you guys?

Good, Fi, thanks for asking.

Hello and welcome to HAF. I really like your image of the small dog yapping at a cement mixer. In the rain. I've known one or two like that; it definitely brought a smile to my face.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!

Yeah, it's not uncommon... I see other people act the way I did and I'm like... embarrassed for them.

Thanks for the welcome! I hope I can stick around and be interesting now and then. XD

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Fi on November 19, 2011, 05:55:56 AM
Greeting pies! I'm Fi!

I hope that greeting wasn't meant to exclude me.
I'll assume it wasn't and offer greetings in return.

Greetings!

You'll have to imagine wonderful balloons and streamers, coloured elephants with party hats, saxophonist dolphins and other celebratory stuff that isn't available to welcome you with.

Fi

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on November 19, 2011, 07:30:17 AM
You'll have to imagine wonderful balloons and streamers, coloured elephants with party hats, saxophonist dolphins and other celebratory stuff that isn't available to welcome you with.

That pretty much describes the entire inside of my head, so I've got it covered. :D

(The greeting pies are pies made of greetings. I thought I should clarify.)

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on November 19, 2011, 07:30:17 AM

Dear Fi - welcome! - and here's a saxophonist seal, at least...

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Tank

HI Fi  :D

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

great intro Fi, it made me chuckle. Welcome aboard

Buddy

Don't forget the celebratory lump of clay guys!  :D Welcome to the forum Fi
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome Fi! ;D

Interesting intro, I hope you stick around.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 19, 2011, 06:23:16 PM
Don't forget the celebratory lump of clay guys!  :D Welcome to the forum Fi
Eh..? Did someone mention lumps?

Welcome to HAF! Sit tight, don't let the Asmos bite.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

mmmmm pie
I like you! Welcome!  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

wildfire_emissary

w_e uses a "Welcome to HAF attack."
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire