News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The Truman Cave

Started by NHOJ, November 12, 2011, 02:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHOJ

I'm not a big fan of Jim Carey movies, but there are two notable exceptions.(*)
The Truman Show is the first. One of my favorite pieces of literature is Plato's allegory of the cave. As I watched The Truman Show I couldn't help but realize the story is an updated version of Plato's.

Truman is locked in an existence where everything is merely a shadow of the real world. When he realizes that his world is an illusion, he struggles with the decision of whether to stay in his comfortable life or escape to explore the real world.

I mention it at HAF because both stories appeal to me as an atheist. It's easy to buy into the religious life. You immediately belong to a community of like minded people and no critical thinking is required! The difficult decision is to stand against the masses and choose a life of rational thought. Oh well.

Are there other movies you like because they appeal to an atheist's sensibilities?

(*) What's the other one? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Charlie Kaufman can do no wrong.
Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
-Robert Service

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

That's why I like philosophy and science. Reality is just way more awesome than any conception that any theist I've met has come up with.  8)

I wish I had the brains to try and make a little sense of frontier physics...

Anyways, another film along the line of the ones you mentioned is Vanilla Sky, though I personally prefer the Matrix, it's much richer.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

NHOJ

I enjoyed the first Matrix movie even with the bad acting, but all the sequels were unwatchable.

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 12, 2011, 03:07:45 AM
The Cave?
Or The Matrix? ;D
Be master of your petty annoyances and conserve your energies for the big, worthwhile things. It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
-Robert Service

The Magic Pudding

Agora, Creation and Paul, even though I dislike Seth Rogen.

Jim Carey was a good Scrooge, a great Grinch and an excellent Count Orloff.

NHOJ

I hadn't heard of Agora before, but the plot sounds interesting. Thanks!

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on November 13, 2011, 12:21:10 AM
Agora, Creation and Paul, even though I dislike Seth Rogen.

Jim Carey was a good Scrooge, a great Grinch and an excellent Count Orloff.
-Robert Service

Crow

'Whatever Works' if you like any of Woody Allens' previous work or Curb Your Enthusiasm then you will love the film.

Retired member.

NHOJ

I like Woody Allen and Larry David. How did I miss that one?! Wait... just checked imdb. It seems I lost track of Woody after Deconstructing Harry.
I have some catching up to do.

Quote from: Crow on November 15, 2011, 03:12:28 AM
'Whatever Works' if you like any of Woody Allens' previous work or Curb Your Enthusiasm then you will love the film.

-Robert Service