News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

In Stev13jay's opinion

Started by Stev13jay, November 02, 2011, 08:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not your typical...

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on November 12, 2011, 03:08:47 AM
You'll find that there are a lot of people who don't believe in superstitions of any kind here.
Got it. So, no God, no luck, no ghosts/spirits/demons... Anything I'm missing?
And NAC, in you're opinions, is there anything that's not based on fact?
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 03:12:21 AM
You'll find that there are a lot of people who don't believe in superstitions of any kind here.
And NAC, in you're opinions, is there anything that's not based on fact?

No. How can anything that is real NOT be based in fact? ???
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 03:12:21 AM

Well, everyone is different, but that sounds about right. "Fate" and "destiny" and those kinds of things also come to mind.
UFOs are debatable, though.  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:15:18 AM
What fact is love based on? And opinions aren't necessarily real...
No fate, no destiny. I think I got it.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 03:17:29 AM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:15:18 AM
What fact is love based on? And opinions aren't necessarily real...
No fate, no destiny. I think I got it.

Love is a feeling based on human emotion, and emotion is an observed fact.

An opinion is not a "real" thing, as in undeniably and universally accepted, nor is it certain to be correct or true. Therefore to have an opinion is not reliant on fact.

Real things rely on fact.

Tell me something universally accepted as real that has no basis in fact. I'll give you a decade to think of something.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:22:20 AM
Tell me something universally accepted as real that has no basis in fact. I'll give you a decade to think of something.
I'm pretty sure that's impossible, considering that there are things that are based on fact that people don't believe.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 03:29:02 AM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:22:20 AM
I'm pretty sure that's impossible, considering that there are things that are based on fact that people don't believe.

If some people choose not to acknowledge real things based on fact, that is their problem and makes reality or the facts it's based on no different. It's irrelevant.

I asked you to tell me of a real thing not based in fact. You agree it's impossible, and it is. We're making some progress I feel.

I await one of the 7 billion people on earth to show me a fact to back up that their god (whichever one) is real. There are no facts to base the reality of god on, because god is not real.

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:40:00 AM
I asked you to tell me of a real thing not based in fact. You agree it's impossible, and it is. We're making some progress I feel.
I await one of the 7 billion people on earth to show me a fact to back up that their god (whichever one) is real. There are no facts to base the reality of god on, because god is not real.
You said to tell you of a universally accepted reality that is not based on fact. I can't do that. I can tell you plenty things people find to be their personal reality that isn't based on fact. But I don't think there is really anything that is universally accepted. (I've gotten arguments on what 2+2 equals)

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 03:45:54 AM
You said to tell you of a universally accepted reality that is not based on fact. I can't do that. I can tell you plenty things people find to be their personal reality that isn't based on fact. But I don't think there is really anything that is universally accepted. (I've gotten arguments on what 2+2 equals)

First of all, personal reality is not always actual reality. Someone's personal reality could be the biggest delusion on earth and not at all real.

Nobody in the modern world will dispute that televisions are real. They are real and based in fact. The facts are we know who the pioneers were, how they developed and built them, what with, and so on etc.

A TV is a "real" thing, that nobody can deny. If they do deny that TV's are real, then they are wrong. Or mental. Or both. And TV's still remain real.

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:55:45 AM
First of all, personal reality is not actual reality. Someone's personal reality could be the biggest delusion on earth and not at all real.

Nobody in the modern world will dispute that televisions are real. They are real and based in fact. The facts are we know who the pioneers were, how they developed and built them, what with, and so on etc.

A TV is a "real" thing, that nobody can deny. If they do deny that TV's are real, then they are wrong. Or mental. Or both. And TV's still remain real.
I thought we were talking philosophy/religion, not objects. But anyhow, yes, I see your point.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: not your typical... on November 12, 2011, 03:58:56 AM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:55:45 AM
First of all, personal reality is not actual reality. Someone's personal reality could be the biggest delusion on earth and not at all real.

I thought we were talking philosophy/religion, not objects. But anyhow, yes, I see your point.

When you talk about a real thing, an object is just as good an example, and simpler to use.

Anyhow, 4am here, I should have been in bed hours ago, I'll leave you to mull over the weird rational world of atheism.

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 04:02:25 AM
When you talk about a real thing, an object is just as good an example, and simpler to use.
Anyhow, 4am here, I should have been in bed hours ago, I'll leave you to mull over the weird rational world of atheism.
Alrighty then. Morning. :) It's only 11 here.

Ecurb Noselrub

But there may be realities for which we currently have no facts. We don't know everything.  It may be that we find a fact tomorrow upon which we can base the knowledge of God.  You may be justified in not believing in God, but, as has been previously observed, you are not rationally justified in claiming to "know" that God is not real.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 12, 2011, 12:36:34 PM

But there may be realities for which we currently have no facts. We don't know everything.  It may be that we find a fact tomorrow upon which we can base the knowledge of God.  You may be justified in not believing in God, but, as has been previously observed, you are not rationally justified in claiming to "know" that God is not real.

As an Atheist, this is pretty much exactly my worldview. I'm open to the idea that something "god-ish" could exist or be discovered, I just don't find anything that I've seen presented by fallible, self-interested humans to be convincing or demonstrable. Most theists just show me that they REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to believe that they have the right answers, but that's not a convincing argument for why they do.

As Voltaire said, "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd" :P

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 12, 2011, 12:36:34 PM

But there may be realities for which we currently have no facts. We don't know everything.

Maybe.

QuoteIt may be that we find a fact tomorrow upon which we can base the knowledge of God.

This is not going to happen because we made god up.

QuoteYou may be justified in not believing in God

Knowing of no god.

Quotebut, as has been previously observed, you are not rationally justified in claiming to "know" that God is not real.

It's perfectly rational to claim to know that god is not real.

I know god is not real in the same way I know that unicorns and flying pink elephants are not real. Why can you not simply accept I can know this?